Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Spelling errors in text advertising grammar / spellchecker (Staff: It was intentional)
Thread poster: Dusan Rabrenovic
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I thought... Aug 19, 2009

...Whitesmoke was a rock band.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
French to English
Here we [sic] go again Aug 19, 2009

Amy Duncan wrote:

No, that's a "Slip Of The Tongue"

\\m/

[Edited at 2009-08-19 16:33 GMT]

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
@ John Aug 19, 2009

John Farebrother wrote:

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

I uninstalled it after a few days and explained the reasons in a lenghty letter to the company.

Surely you mean a long letter?

Thanks, John, for your intervention. It gives me, as a compatriot of Joseph Conrad, particular pleasure to attract your attention to the fact that, according to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary, the word "lengthy" was used the first time in English in 1689. You will find further references to its usage in Fowler's and in Collins Cobuild.

No hard feelings though
Mariusz

Karen Ordanic
Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not really Aug 19, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

The errors in the subject line were an attempt at being cheeky to draw some attention to the email and product. Thanks for noticing! Hopefully everyone can take a look at the product as well.

Regards,

Drew

Actually, it did just the opposite. I immediately clicked on Delete.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
Italian to English
+ ...
You did spell it wrong though, Mariusz Aug 19, 2009

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

John Farebrother wrote:

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

I uninstalled it after a few days and explained the reasons in a lenghty letter to the company.

Thanks, John, for your intervention. It gives me, as a compatriot of Joseph Conrad, particular pleasure to attract your attention to the fact that, according to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary, the word "lengthy" was used the first time in English in 1689. You will find further references to its usage in Fowler's and in Collins Cobuild.

No hard feelings though
Mariusz

Or was that intentional?

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Was it intentional Aug 19, 2009

Regrettably, a genuine typo but John was generous enough to disregard it going after a more substantial prey

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

John Farebrother wrote:

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

No hard feelings though
Mariusz

Or was that intentional?

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
German to English
+ ...
Ha ha ha! Aug 19, 2009

Amy Duncan wrote:

That's Whitesnake, Amy. Good one!

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Some fall on stony ground, I guess. Aug 19, 2009

Still, I guess that's rock 'n'

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agency newsletter Aug 19, 2009

BTW did anyone else notice the error in the newsletter of a rather well known agency - unable to tell its 'its' from its 'it's' and got it wrong. I did write to them about it but they didn't reply, although they did change it!
Here it is

'Over the last month, a ........... newspaper has attempted to translate the articles of it’s website into various languages using a machine rather than a professional translation company like ...........'

Error repeated furth
... See more
BTW did anyone else notice the error in the newsletter of a rather well known agency - unable to tell its 'its' from its 'it's' and got it wrong. I did write to them about it but they didn't reply, although they did change it!
Here it is

'Over the last month, a ........... newspaper has attempted to translate the articles of it’s website into various languages using a machine rather than a professional translation company like ...........'

Error repeated further on too so not a typo.

So many its here!
Suzi
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
French to English
While we're at it... Aug 20, 2009

...rather than a professional translation company like ...........'

Should that perhaps have been "such as" rather than "like"?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 12:16
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Common mistakes/ errors Aug 20, 2009

I am not justifying them, but errors like :

grammer( grammar), it's ( its), there's ( theirs), beleive ( believe), recieve ( receive)

fall into category of common spelling errors.

I really don't get it how someone can make a spelling error on here, as the spelling check is on and all the mistakes underlined?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spelling errors in text advertising grammar / spellchecker (Staff: It was intentional)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »