Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Off topic: Argentina, paradise for bargain seekers: The Iguazú waterfalls,Glaciers, Wildlife sanctuaries, lakes
Thread poster: Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trevelin and the Welsh colonization museum in southern Argentina Feb 21, 2005

To see the photos of Trevelin and the Welsh Heritage Museum, please go to this link:

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages?msg=512.136

PHOTO

I visited Trevelin seven summers in a row from 1951 to 1957. Of course, at that time I was not so interested in history as now, I was a teenager at that time, but I was aware that everybod
... See more
To see the photos of Trevelin and the Welsh Heritage Museum, please go to this link:

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages?msg=512.136

PHOTO

I visited Trevelin seven summers in a row from 1951 to 1957. Of course, at that time I was not so interested in history as now, I was a teenager at that time, but I was aware that everybody in the town spoke in Welsh. Today Trevelin has a Welsh museum, where you can enjoy many aspects of the Welsh history in the Valley 16 de Octubre. Although the first disembarked in Puerto Madryn, and then moved first to Rawson and then to Gaiman, many came over the patagonian desert up to the Andes and settled down here. In 1951, Trevelin had some 3,000 inhabitants, practically all Welsh. Trevelin is some 250 miles south of Bariloche.

Trevelin means in Welsh the "town of the mill", it has always been a wheat producing area, even though it is so far south and next to the Andes, specially to the Los Alerces National Park. Welsh colonization started in Patagonia in 1865, and probably some years later in Trevelin.

PHOTO

I wanted to film tulip plantations, Trevelin is famous for its tulips, but I was told that I will have to go back in September if I want to enjoy this scenery.

PHOTO

A visit to the Welsh museum of Trevelin is something you should not miss. I have only pasted a few photos here, but you will be aware that it is extremely interesting. You can see organs two centuries old, an ancient typewriter, a phone switchboard you will only find in museums... and many other things.

PHOTOS: A 19th century organ, a gramophone player and a one key typewriter.

The museum occupies the three floors of the old flour mill, which has moved to another location. You will find practically anything from old kitchens to tractors... , sulkys... whatever you could imagine.

PHOTOS: More antiques.

It is a virtual trip to the past...

And, of course, you can even have a trip on the Old Patagonian Express, which leaves from the Esquel Station, 15 miles away...

Tea houses are also famous due to the welsh cakes they prepare. And some 13 miles away is the beautiful provincial reserve of the Nanty Fall waterfalls, but I will cover that in another note. Here is one photo of this beautiful spot:

PHOTO OF THE NANTY FALLS

Most streets have not yet been paved, and occasionally you find some ancient corner that brings us rememberances of last century.

PHOTO: A century old construction. Behind you may see the Andes.

I visited this beautiful town for the first time in 1951...

The Los Alerces National Park is only 22 miles away, and has some of the most beautiful sceneries of Argentina.

Regards from Mar del Plata, Argentina.

Robert Ingledew

[Edited at 2005-02-21 21:12]
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The "dorado" fishing season has started. Mar 4, 2005

The dorado belongs to the salmon family, and has a size comparable to adult salmon, although in my opinion it is tastier to eat. It is quite common to catch twenty pounders in the Parana, Paraguay, Bermejo and Uruguay rivers. I would like to share with you an article I received today over the internet from www.pescanet.com. To see the photos, please go to t... See more
The dorado belongs to the salmon family, and has a size comparable to adult salmon, although in my opinion it is tastier to eat. It is quite common to catch twenty pounders in the Parana, Paraguay, Bermejo and Uruguay rivers. I would like to share with you an article I received today over the internet from www.pescanet.com. To see the photos, please go to this link.

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages?msg=540.110

I approached the author of this note about the very poor translation, and he recognized he does translations always in a machine translator, due to budget constraints... In any case, the boga (translated as vogue) is a fish that has no English translation, but that is quite similar to a small mouth bass, emprendimiento is undertaking or complex in this case, desayunador is breakfast room, morena is moray eel... slope of boats is boat ramp, quincho is a mud hut where the barbecue is prepared, "gilding" is the dorado (or gold-fish, if you wish)...surubi is a member of the catfish family, very similar to a pike... I nailed means I hooked... sorry, I don't have time to check the complete translation...

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages/?msg=512.139

"Port Paradise Itatí"

A good season beginning

By: Hugo Gallo

We visit the new one fishing that Cabins "Port Paradise" it is building in the city of Itatí, responding to an invitation of "Santiago", administrator of the emprendimiento, is a property in the coast of the River Paraná, amid a forest of quebrachos, lapachos, timbó etc., with own slope of boats, to few meters of the access to the city, the complex it will consist of ten cabins for four people, desayunador and closed dining room, quincho with grills to eat lunch outdoors and the grateful service of "Port Paradise"

We arrive to the complex in the morning and at eight o'clock we were fishing, our guide in this occasion was "Cuca", with vast experience in the he/she fishes of that area, the river was not in the ideal level, he/she had a flow of two meters on their normal level, and the temperature was quite high.
To few minutes of the Complex we begin with the fishing, we made fallen with bait, that in this opportunity was eel, this is a bait that one works different to the moraine, since it is quite hard and the fish doesn't eat it with many desires, for the so much thing is to have calm and to allow it to eat enough, since of him contrary we will miss the one nailed.
In the second passing I have one taken, I hold back the cane plantation desires for several seconds....... I wait a little more..... and I nail, I see jump a beautiful one golden, he/she gave a fight spectacular, several jumps and then to the guide's arms, him we take out the pictures and we returned it to their River.

We continue with the fishing, we allow that place and ourselves to rest we went to a slide near the coast, there we had a couple of you itch missed, seemingly of small fish, we prove in a veril without results and us we returned to the locus in quo we fish the first gilding.

In this opportunity Patricia was who had the luck of an I/you/he/she itches free, she gave him a good race and it nailed the second piece of the day, in this case the gilding was a little smaller than the previous one, but the twirls and jumps that gave us they filled the view, in few minutes we had it captured in the camera and we proceeded to their refund.

We made some passings more without result and at the ten of the tomorrow we returned to the Complex because the sun was already very strong, us we accommodate to the shade of the trees and while we ate one itched with something fresh, Federico roasted some chickens for the lunch.

The Complex, but the quincho is still building it was already almost clever (up-to-date of today it should be ended), the grove is spectacular, trees very añosos and a fresh shade for the lunch, past the noon we gave bill of the chickens with a good salad and very cold beer and we went to rest until the sun doesn't punish so much.

At five in the afternoon we returned to the River, now with the intention of fishing some you sail, we were river up about ten minutes and we arrive to a boguero that was surrendering well, we use spinning canes, baitcasting reels, and we embody with grains of corn, in little while fish a good quantity of size vogues medium, without surprises that were returned to the water.

At sunset again we attempt with the gildings and/or surubíes, we made several passings without you itch, we saw to the surubí lean out to the surface but in any moment they took the baits, we decide non porfiar and we undertook the return, to few meters of the Complex we saw a sector with activity and we throw the baits again, Patricia had an I/you/he/she itches of golden, he/she gave a great jump...... but it loosed the bait, it had not swallowed well.

Really a good day of fishing, with good captures and the amusement of the fishing of vogues, when it lowers the temperature a little, one will be able to fish the whole day, for what we saw, the fishing is very promising.

Thanks to Santiago, Federico and all the members of "Port Paradise Itatí"

[Edited at 2005-03-06 18:53]
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cachi (Salta): Don't miss this tour Mar 27, 2005

To see the photos that complement this note, please go to this link:

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages/?msg=512.103

Salta is a province with beautiful landscape, that is famous due to the friendliness of its people.

The first time I took this tour, I told the guide: "Sir, this is the first time I am here and I would l
... See more
To see the photos that complement this note, please go to this link:

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages/?msg=512.103

Salta is a province with beautiful landscape, that is famous due to the friendliness of its people.

The first time I took this tour, I told the guide: "Sir, this is the first time I am here and I would lake to take somo photos". His answer surprised me: "No problem, sir, we have caclulated NINETY MINUTES for the stops that the tourists may require."

After travelling through the Valley of Lerma with tobaco plantations, one of the pillars of Salta´s economy, apart from oil and gas production, wood industry and many others, the most beautiful landscape starts. First, the Escoipe gully, where we border a stream for some thirteen miles, surrounded by mountains covered with abundant vegetation.

PHOTO: The Escoipe Gully.

At the end of the Escoipe Gully we arrive at a transition zone, where the vegetation dissapears and the first cactus appear:

PHOTO

Then the road goes up the Cuesta del Obispo (Bishop's Slope), where the road in only 13 miles ascends from 5000 feet to 11,000 feet. And generally during this traject you have the opportunity of seeing a condor flying, if you only pay attention. These huge birds are 10 feet wide with their wings extended.

PHOTO: Cuesta del Obispo, Salta.

Finally, the village of Cachi, a colonial small town located nearly under the Cachi peak (22,000 feet high), generally covered with snow, shows us the beauty of its colonial constructions. In the next photo you will see a Catholic church constructed by the Spaniard colonizers in 1684, and next to it the archeological museum of Cachi, full of valuable archeological pieces:

PHOTO

In your next trip to Argentina, don´t miss Salta, and very specially this beautiful zone, that together with the Train to the Clouds and Cafayate are the most important tourist attractions of this province. And being here, don't miss either the tour to Humahuaca, in the nearby province of Jujuy, where you will see a lot of tradition.

NOTA: These photos have been taken by me and may be copied and used for any purpose.

Regards from Mar del Plata.

Roberto Ingledew

[Edited at 2005-03-27 23:42]
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Atuel Canyon (Mendoza, Argentina) Apr 11, 2005

To see the photos that illustrate this note, please go to:

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages/?msg=512.145

or to

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/paneldemensajes.msnw
(in this last case) go to "Place
... See more

http://forums.about.com/ab-gosoamerica/messages/?msg=512.145

or to

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/paneldemensajes.msnw
(in this last case) go to "Places Wortwhile visiting in Argentina")

PHOTO

The Atuel river canyon is not as deep as Copper Canyon in Mexico, nor as deep as the Colca Canyon in Perú. Actually is it only a fraction of what you can find in the Colorado Canyon in Arizona. However, it is a beautiful place to visit. It is located between the Nihuil dam (some 40 miles away from San Rafael) and the Valle Grande rafting area, to which I have referred today in "Travelling through Latin America"

PHOTO: El Nihuil dam. In the lake formed by this dam,
you can fish rainbow trout.

There are four hydroelectric power plants along this section of the river, so that the river is interrupted where water is diverted to the power plants, but in those zones where there is water, it is completely transparent.

PHOTO: The Atuel river downstream from the Nihuil 2 power plant

However, do not try to fish trout in this area, because it is not a trout fishing area. Upstream from the dam, in the El Sosneado area, you can catch five pound rainbow trout.

PHOTO: Nihuil 2 power plant

The canyon has beautiful banks, in some places 1,000 feet high, with all sorts of figures (if your imagination is smarter than mine, you will find more figures than those I noticed), and it is a place wortwhile visiting, specially if you combine it with the Valle Grande rafting area, the Andes in Mendoza and the Valley of the Moon in San Juan.

PHOTO: The author of this note in the Atuel Canyon,
near the Nihuil 3 power plant.

This tour may be done from Mendoza (a one day tour that lasts 16 hours and costs 22 Dollars including lunch), but you will have to travel over 400 miles in one day. If you prefer a more relaxed tour, stay at San Rafael (or at the Valle Grande hotel and resort) and buy a local tour from there.

Downstream from the canyon is the Valle Grande Dam and lake, and the Valle Grande rafting area (two next photos)

PHOTO: Valle Grande lake: the "submarine"

PHOTO: Atuel River rafting area at Valle Grande. Don't be deceived, in some places the water runs fast...

Enjoy it.

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon), San Juan (Argentina), the whole Triassic age at a glance Apr 14, 2005

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/general.msnw?

and then click on "Places wortwhile visiting in Argentina"

PHOTO

During many years I wanted to go here, and I postponed it due to the high costs involved (by local standards) A tour for one person was costing some 300 Dollars
... See more

and then click on "Places wortwhile visiting in Argentina"

PHOTO

During many years I wanted to go here, and I postponed it due to the high costs involved (by local standards) A tour for one person was costing some 300 Dollars, more than double what a tour to Bariloche or Iguazú is costing. The tour from Mar del Plata was costing more than 200 Dollars for double occupancy (300 if I travelled alone). To go from La Rioja was expensive and the tour from San Juan (one sole day) was costing 100 Dollars if I went alone, and it meant travelling from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m.

PHOTO

Fortunately, a person that listened to my conversation in a restaurant in San Juan gave me valuable advise: Travel to Valle Fértil by bus (4 hours each way, 8 Dollars for the round trip from San Juan), stay overnight there, and you will find people willing to take you there for a far lower cost. It was true. The trip from San Juan was costing 100 Dollars and from Valle Fertil it cost me less than 14 Dollars...

PHOTO

As soon as I arrived at the small bus station at Valle Fértil I found A FEW different agencies that offered me the tour as I got off the bus. Departure was at 7.30 a.m. and we would return during the afternoon. This option standed far more to reason...

PHOTO

We could travel in a minibus and pay 45 pesos (15 Dollars) for BOTH Valle de la Luna and Talampaya, but the minibus was returning too late to take the last bus back to San Juan at 5 p.m. If I had known this, it would have planned my trip with two nights at Valle Fértil. The second option was also good, spend 40 Dollars in a taxi divided by the number of passengers, and arrive back on time for the bus. We would not visit Talampaya, but instead we would visit a similar smaller and nearer park in the Province of La Rioja, some 37 miles south of Talampaya.

PHOTO

I was fortunate enough to find a Dutch couple at the hotel wishing to do the same trip, and we agreed to travel together. So the cost was less than 14 Dollars for each one of us. With one advantage: the minibus only stopped at five pre-determined stations (of course, all had a beautiful scenery), but we were able to stop also at other places on the road for photos.

PHOTO: Valley of the moon: all these are natural stones.

Also, the taxi or cab driver, Sergio, phone (54-264).156702739 / 156738072 took us at no additional cost to visit the new Provincial Park "El Chiflón" in La Rioja, where we saw some (small) petrified pieces of wood, rests of indian civilizations, and the impressive banks of the park.

PHOTO

To stay at San Agustín de Valle Fértil there is a comfortable hotel (3 stars, 25 Dollars for a single room and 35 Dollars for a double room), and a number of unexpensive bed-and breakfasts, where a single room costs some 5 Dollars a night, although I was not very impressed by the one I saw. The hotel had a beautiful panoramic view and was very comfortable. The name of the hotel where I stayed is HOSTERÍA DE VALLE FÉRTIL.

PHOTO

The Valle de la Luna (valley of the moon) has a unique scenery, and is the most complete representation of the Triasic age in all Argentina. The first dinosaurs lived here. There is a small museum (you will only see 4 dinosaurs and listen to some explanations). The most complete museum on Antropology in the countryside is the one located at Trelew, near Puerto Madryn, in Southern Argentina.

And we saw natural landscapes beyond our imagination.

PHOTO

I am sure you will enjoy all these photos.

PHOTO

Robert Ingledew

[Edited at 2005-04-14 21:34]
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rafting in Mendoza, the most popular alternatives Apr 21, 2005

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=891&all_topics=0

If this link does not work, copy ONLY the fir
... See more

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=891&all_topics=0

If this link does not work, copy ONLY the first line
and then click on Places Worthwhile visiting in Argentina

There are a number of rivers in Mendoza where you can practice rafting, but the most known ones are the Mendoza and the Atuel rivers.

The Mendoza river offers grade 3 and 4 rafting, while the Atuel river is ideal for begginers, since it offers grade 2 rafting.

PHOTO OF THE ATUEL RIVER

Valle Grande is a very nice place on the Atuel river within the Atuel canyon and downstream from the Valle Grande dam and lake. In the next photo you may see "the submarine", that receives this name because when the lake is full it disappears under the water.

PHOTO: "The Submarine", Valle Grande lake

Upstream from this dam there is a beautiful canyon, the banks of which are some 1000 feet tall, to which I will refer in another note.

PHOTO: The Atuel Canyon

Although the Mendoza river offers more difficult rafting, this area is really beautiful, with crystalline water... it has better hotels and more operators that offer the rafting adventure. Apart from that, is is quite near the city of San Rafael (Mendoza) that is only some 10 to 15 miles away.

PHOTO:

In the first half mile downstream from the dam I saw at least half a dozen of rafting operators offering their services. A 5 mile rafting tour downstream (45 minutes) costs some 7 US Dollars. I also saw what were apparently local buses to San Rafael.

PHOTO: Rafting is very popular at Valle Grande

There is a 3-star hotel in the area (Valle Grande Hotel and Resort) where a double room costs some 37 Dollars, and that is on the river banks. Eating in its restaurant is not expensive.

PHOTO: Even if you have no rafting experience, this river is quite safe for begginers...

You can also try out a kayak, but in this case you may end upside down...

PHOTO

In few words, it is a very nice place that you might want to consider for your next vacations, combining it with a visit to the Andes in Mendoza and the Valley of the Moon in San Juan. There are also direct bus services from Mendoza to Chile, Buenos Aires and most important cities in Argentina.

All these photos are mine and may be copied and used for any purpose.

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:53
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Please, one explanation Jun 17, 2005

Hi Robert

Could you explain whether Carilo is a place (a village, a park) or whether it's the name of a resort?

In case it's a resort, it's not allowed to promote it here.

Thank you

Claudia

Robert, you didn't answer to my question, I found out that Carilo is a place but you were promoting the resort.

[Edited at 2005-06-22 04:01]

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Claudia, (regarding my posting on Cariló) Jun 24, 2005

Sorry, I did not see your posting until yesterday, 7 days later, since I have been very busy this last week and a half with translation work. Last Sunday I worked until 10 p.m. You will notice that I have not been posting many articles lately, because I have not had time for this. I am checking the forums about once a week.

As you have already found out, Carilò is a small village (it has 2,000 inhabitants).

I would NEVER promote a resort in Carilo, Carilo is VERY
... See more
Sorry, I did not see your posting until yesterday, 7 days later, since I have been very busy this last week and a half with translation work. Last Sunday I worked until 10 p.m. You will notice that I have not been posting many articles lately, because I have not had time for this. I am checking the forums about once a week.

As you have already found out, Carilò is a small village (it has 2,000 inhabitants).

I would NEVER promote a resort in Carilo, Carilo is VERY EXPENSIVE..., at least by local standards. Prices are more than double the prices you will find in Mar del Plata. A cup of tea with a piece of cake can cost you as much as five dollars, while in Mar del Plata you can have lunch at an all-you-can-eat grill for 3 to 4 Dollars.

I was only trying to say that nobody will find an economic place where to stay there: there are only luxury hotels, and I pasted an internet link to prove this.

I hope that this answers your question, but feel free to modify my article if anything is not fit for this site.

Regards.

Robert Ingledew

[Edited at 2005-06-25 16:11]
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Quequén river, a beautiful wildlife sanctuary very near Necochea Jul 13, 2005

This article consists mostly of photos taken by me last week-end. To view them, please click here:

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=891&LastModified=4675530618226949127

Over the years I have learnt that Argentinians do not protect wi
... See more
This article consists mostly of photos taken by me last week-end. To view them, please click here:

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=891&LastModified=4675530618226949127

Over the years I have learnt that Argentinians do not protect wildlife as well as USA citizens and Europeans, although an environment and wildlife protection conscience is slowly developing in the population.

Having said this, it was a lovely experience to find wildlife in abundance only 4 or 5 miles away from the downtown of Necochea, a 90,000 inhabitant Atlantic summer resort, on the banks of the Quequén river. I was going to a small waterfall some 8 miles away from the city to take some photos, never expected to see this, and I really enjoyed it. Just have a look at the photos.

PHOTO: There are many black neck and white neck swans, coots, herons, seagulls and many other species in the Quequén river and surrounding area. In this photo you may see literally dozens of black neck and white neck swans.

PHOTO: Seals very near the Quequén river, in the port area.

PHOTO: There are also many swans in the park of Necochea.

PHOTO: Coots in the Quequén river.

PHOTO: There are nice Eucalyptus woods in the area.

PHOTO: Black neck swans and seagulls in the river

PHOTO: There are a couple of very small waterfalls in the area

PHOTO: Black neck swans (right) and coots (left) swimming in the Quequén river.

Some eight miles up the river there is a Municipal rainbow trout hatchery, that also has a small acquarium. There you will the the underground vegetation of the river, the different fish that live in the river. including fresh water shrimp, and a few tropical and cold water fish from other parts of the world.

3 PHOTOS

In the photo above, you may see a rainbow trout. Some 300 are released every 3 months into the river. That is not a lot, specially considering the predation done by herons, but it is a Municipal facility with limited resources. In any case, quite a number of captures of 4-pound rainbow trout have been reported in the area.

At the fish culture station (or trout hatchery) you will also see the different stages of development of the trout, starting by the eggs and just-born trout. I am sure you will enjoy it. Just have a look at the photos.

PHOTO: Rainbow trout egg hatching

PHOTO: At the back of the photo you may see many small rainbow trout.

PHOTO: Part of the facilities.

PHOTO: A very small fall next to the trout hatchery or fish culture station.

The admission to the Municipal trout hatchery costs only one peso, about 35 cents of a Dollar. The trip in taxi to the facility (some 9 miles each way and over one hour taking photos) costs only 8 US Dollars. If they want to charge you more, just bargain the price. If you ever go to Necochea, don't miss this tour. You will have to hire a taxi, and ask him to drive along the river, or you will not see all the wildlife (birds) in the river. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The road from Tucuman to Tafi del Valle ("Quebrada de los Sosa") Aug 15, 2005

THE ROAD FROM TUCUMÀN TO TAFI DEL VALLE

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=1279

One of the most beautiful roads in Northwestern Argentina is the one that goes from Tucumàn to Tafi del Valle, b
... See more
THE ROAD FROM TUCUMÀN TO TAFI DEL VALLE

http://groups.msn.com/Adictosaviajar/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=1279

One of the most beautiful roads in Northwestern Argentina is the one that goes from Tucumàn to Tafi del Valle, bordering a river between mountains and a beautiful forest, passes through El Mollar where the menhirs are, continues through Tafi del Valle to Amaicha del Valle, the Indian ruins of Quilmes, then Cafayate, Cachi, San Antonio de los Cobres, Humahuaca, Iruya and Salta.

PHOTO: Vegetation is abundant in the whole area, and the mountains are beautiful.

Let`s have a look at the first section, the "Quebrada de los Sosa", on the road from Tucumàn toTafi del Valle. All photos are mine and may be copied and used for any purpose.

PHOTO: The Sosa river borders the road during a very long section and offers the possibility of fishing rainbow trout in a beautiful environment. Since this is a tropical area, if you go fishing use boots, because you could come accross a snake...

PHOTO: The scenery is very similar to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee

If you are fond of taking photos or filming the scenery, I suggest you stop at Tafi del Valle and take a taxi (cab) drive to the Monumento al indio (Monument to the Indian) and Parque Los Menhires (The Menhirs park). It will cost you some 15 to 20 dollars, and you will certainly enjoy the ride.

PHOTO: Monument to the Indian, Quebrada de los Sosa.

PHOTO: The Menhirs park (Parque Los Menhires), near Tafi del Valle. Some of these statues are 2600 years old... and belong to the Tafi culture.

Enjoy it.

Robert Ingledew

[Edited at 2005-08-15 12:26]
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My photos of the Talampaya National Park, Patrimony of Humanity Sep 14, 2005

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=128&tid=540&webtag=ab-gosoamerica

PHOTO: Talampaya National Park, Argentina. The sphinx

There are a few places in Argentina that have been declared Patrimony of Humanity by the United Nation
... See more

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=128&tid=540&webtag=ab-gosoamerica

PHOTO: Talampaya National Park, Argentina. The sphinx

There are a few places in Argentina that have been declared Patrimony of Humanity by the United Nations: and Talampaya is one of these. Together with the Valley of the Moon (San Juan) the Las Quijadas Park (San Luis) and the El Chiflòn State Park in La Rioja, it is the area of the Triassic Age where the first dinosaurs lived.

PHOTO: The "chimney"

There are hardly fifty miles from the Valley of the Moon to Talampaya, so if you get up early you can visit both parks in one day. The nearest cities are San Agustin de Valle Fertil (San Juan) and Patquía (La Rioja). The first town has better hotel accomodation (a 3 star hotel) where you can get a very nice room for 25 Dollars per night (there are cheaper hotels in the town for as little as 5 Dollars a night, but I do not recommend them).

PHOTO: The totem

Unlike the Valley of the Moon, that has no vegetation, the Canyon of Talampaya runs along the bed of a dry river, where occasionally a trickle of water appears, only to dissappear again after a few feet downstream. It is unwise the visit the site on your own, because when it does rain (very rarely) you can have seven feet of water in the canyon in a matter of minutes.

PHOTO: The "gulleys"

The effects of wind and water erosion are really breathtaking. 500 feet banks that seem polished with a grinding machine... and curious forms from the Cathedral to the Chimney or the Totem... impact us with their beauty.

PHOTO: The Cathedral

Let the photos speak for themselves. All of them were taken by me, and you may copy and use them for any purpose.

PHOTOS

Regards from Mar del Plata, Argentina

Roberto

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Andes in Mendoza, the highest mountains of the Western Hemisphere Nov 19, 2005

To see the photos that illustrate this note, please click here:

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=119&tid=512&webtag=ab-gosoamerica

Although tours in Mendoza are more expensive than in other parts of Argentina (a full-day tour costs here 18 dollars, while in Bariloche, Còrdoba or Mar del Plata
... See more
To see the photos that illustrate this note, please click here:

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=119&tid=512&webtag=ab-gosoamerica

Although tours in Mendoza are more expensive than in other parts of Argentina (a full-day tour costs here 18 dollars, while in Bariloche, Còrdoba or Mar del Plata you would spend 10 to 12 dollars for the same tour), the highest mountains of the American continent are here. For example, the Aconcagua is higher than the Mc Kinley, and its height is about 23,000 feet.

The tour starts in the city of Mendoza, goes through vineyards, and then through Chacras de Coria, a beautiful residential area; the next photo shows the Catholic chapel of this area:

PHOTO: Chacras de Coria Roman Catholic chapel

After passing in front of the Lujan de Cuyo oil refinery (Mendoza is an important oil and gas producing province) we pass by the Potrerillos reservoir.

PHOTO

At this point and looking towards the mountainside, we can see some agriculture terraces of the Inca empire (yes, the Incas came as south as Mendoza in Argentina!; actually, the main irrigation channel Cacique Guaymallen was built by them, and is still in use)

PHOTO; Terraces of the Inca Empire.

The road goes through many tunnels, and we border the Mendoza river for many miles, while we remember that this was the area where two important movies were filmed: Seven years in Tibet and Taras Bulba.

PHOTO: Mendoza River

After having travelled some sixty miles from the city of Mendoza, we reach the valley of Uspallata, an oasis in the middle of the desert. The village has five thousand inhabitants and is some 6,600 feet above sea level. Hotels are not quite so expensive here, and it is a very nice place to relax.

PHOTO: Valley of Uspallata

Some twelve miles after Uspallata we reach the historial bridge of Picheuta, which has to do with the history of the Independence of Chile and Peru, since one of the divisions of the army of General San Martin went though here.

PHOTO: Historical bridge of Picheuta. It is really a reconstruction of the original bridge, constructed by the army of General San Martin on its way to Chile.

In all this high mountain area it is posible to fish rainbow trout, although in this area they are not large. Larger trout are caught in Southern Mendoza in rivers Atuel and Grande.

PHOTO

Our next destination is Puente del Inca, a natural bridge over the De las Vacas River. Here we prefer to show to wonderful variety of colors in the mountain, although the bridge is also interesting.

PHOTO: At Puente del Inca there is an artisans fare: you can see a partial view of it in the next photo.

PHOTO:

Then we arrive at Punta de Vacas, where there is an interesting mini-museum, the owner seems to be a blend of a hermit and a hippie... but has an excellent knowledge of the subjects he refers to. Of course, he explains everything in Spanish, from the origin of the Andes, the Army of the Andes, energy, the history of the Huarpes indians, etc. Below are the tracks of the former Transandean railway, that no longer operates...

PHOTO: Punta de Vacas. The railway to Chile came through here.

We are leaving the Penitentes ski center and the Aconcagua provincial park for our next note.

Enjoy it.

Robert Ingledew

[Edited at 2005-11-19 22:06]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Argentina, paradise for bargain seekers: The Iguazú waterfalls,Glaciers, Wildlife sanctuaries, lakes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »