Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Bilingual child, what to do and not to do?
Thread poster: Johann Audouin
Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:25
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've just found this website Jan 5, 2015

If you type 'Bringing up...', instead of 'Educate...' you might get more hits.

http://bilingualmonkeys.com/category/recommended-resources/books-for-parents/

[Edited at 2015-01-05 18:20 GMT]

Johann Audouin
Johann Audouin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Jan 5, 2015

Thanks, I will have a look at it.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
One size doesn’t fit everybody Jan 6, 2015

On poor advice both my wife and I spoke only one language, Swedish, with our two children from birth. She’s Swedish and I’m English.

Our son’s two boys were born and live in France and the first language of both parents is Swedish. Nursery school and primary school in French, so consequently they speak both languages fluently. They switch from one language to the other at any time without mixing them.
Choose a natural path and don’t listen to too much advice; although
... See more
On poor advice both my wife and I spoke only one language, Swedish, with our two children from birth. She’s Swedish and I’m English.

Our son’s two boys were born and live in France and the first language of both parents is Swedish. Nursery school and primary school in French, so consequently they speak both languages fluently. They switch from one language to the other at any time without mixing them.
Choose a natural path and don’t listen to too much advice; although one important thing to remember is that language without any trace of a foreign accent can only be learned before the age of about eleven when a permanent change occurs in the human brain.
Collapse

Xiaoqing Cui
Xiaoqing Cui
China
Exposure matters Jan 12, 2022

Hi, as I am an early childhood teacher who is multilingual, I am so interested in your question. From what I have learned, to learn a language without an accent, early exposure matters. The early years are important for children to build their foundation. Language acquisition is not an exemption. I think what you need to do is to make sure your child has enough exposure to both languages and develop your child's interest in both language learning. Interest is the best teacher.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
not quite true Jan 12, 2022

George Hopkins wrote:

..... language without any trace of a foreign accent can only be learned before the age of about eleven when a permanent change occurs in the human brain.

Here are a couple of examples of Italians speaking near-perfect English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zrJ5YV_ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0qWMWT92A

[Edited at 2022-01-12 15:27 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Bilingual child, what to do and not to do?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »