Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Choosing *not* to raise baby bilingually socially acceptable?
Thread poster: Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:10
English
+ ...
Citizen of a small blue planet Jun 29, 2008

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
..... If I could choose between being bilingual and having a firm identity, I know which one I would go for...

I find it sad Giovanni that you imply that an accident of birth is the be all and end all of our identities.

I was born in Liverpool, spent my childhood in Nigeria, my youth all over the place (from East Anglia to Chicago, from Bristol to Dortmund) and I have spent the last 21 years living in and loving Catalunya. Since a distant cousin of mine first stepped out of Apollo 11 onto the Moon, we have been reminded how small and delicate our tiny blue world is. Do any of us really need to cling to outdated 19th Century concepts of nationhood to find an identity in our increasingly global world. If so, I find that a sad reflection on the chains those who drew the borders in the age of nationalism have left us as a legacy.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Count your blessings Jun 29, 2008

but when they will be in their thirties and fourties, they will be asking themselves: who really am I? Am I Scottish? Am I Swedish? And they won't find an answer. They won't have an identity. Believe me, it will happen. If I could choose between being bilingual and having a firm identity, I know which one I would go for...

[Edited at 2008-06-29 11:30]

Life doesn't always gives people the luxury to decide for themselves, who they are. The small corner of Europe where my father was brought up was Hungary, until he reached the age of 10. Then it became part of Czechoslovakia. It reverted to Hungary for a few years. Then it became part of the USSR for quite some time. Now it is in the Ukraine.
He didn't stay there for all his life, (only saw three changes there), but there are plenty of others, who never moved away.
The changes meant changes in the official language and by en large in the language of education as well. Those people didn't have a choice, and most of the learned one or the other of the languages apart from their mother tongue, which could have been a fifth or sixth language, not referred to by the name of the countries mentioned.

You can choose where you want to belong, and where to live, if coping with two languages and cultures becomes too much. In any case, I said it before, "bilingual" may be a misnomer here, speaking another language is more appropriate.

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 12:10
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
language? Jun 29, 2008

Hi
I didn't read all the other comments but I have a similar situation. I am a Persian from Iran and my husband is a Swiss German and his second language is French. We live in an English country and we speak and work in English. I hardly speak Persian (Farsi) to my children. I feel bad about it but I realized how it can be difficult to speak naturally. When we traveled to Iran for about 10 days, my little girl picked up so many words so quickly. I couldn't believe it.

Always,
... See more
Hi
I didn't read all the other comments but I have a similar situation. I am a Persian from Iran and my husband is a Swiss German and his second language is French. We live in an English country and we speak and work in English. I hardly speak Persian (Farsi) to my children. I feel bad about it but I realized how it can be difficult to speak naturally. When we traveled to Iran for about 10 days, my little girl picked up so many words so quickly. I couldn't believe it.

Always, I say to myself that I will start one day but my older girl is 3 and that day hasn't fully arrived.
Collapse

Gabriel Csaba
Gabriel Csaba  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your home, your rules Jul 1, 2008

My parents were Hungarian expatriates, and I grew up speaking exclusively Hungarian at home.
My parents, with all of their über-Magyar flaws, raised me and my sister with a strong accent -no pun intended- on respect for others.
Speaking Hungarian in front of someone who didn't was unheard of -the epitome of rudeness.

My children, aged 5 and 3, speak Spanish because that is the language their mother speaks. One could argue that I could still speak Hungarian to them,
... See more
My parents were Hungarian expatriates, and I grew up speaking exclusively Hungarian at home.
My parents, with all of their über-Magyar flaws, raised me and my sister with a strong accent -no pun intended- on respect for others.
Speaking Hungarian in front of someone who didn't was unheard of -the epitome of rudeness.

My children, aged 5 and 3, speak Spanish because that is the language their mother speaks. One could argue that I could still speak Hungarian to them, but what kind of message would that convey? That it's OK to have conversations in front of Mum in a language she doesn't speak?

Growing up as a bilingual kid is fine -it was for me-, but if a language must be sacrificed in the name of harmony at home, it is a compromise I'm willing to make. Maybe one day my kids will give me hell for this: I'm prepared to pay that price.
They are bright, curious kids. They know Dad speaks a couple of languages [hell, they think I can lift cars, but that's a different subject] and they ask questions all the time. Not only about Hungarian: about lots of languages, lots of things. They are also learning English and German in school. We're hardly raising them as ignoramuses.

My bottom line is: speak to your child in whatever language comes naturally.

And if your acquaintances pressure you, here's a tip that has worked for me: in your sweetest voice, in correct but very graphic terms, ask about their sex life.

While they gasp for air, proceed to the explanation:

"Asking me if I teach my kid German/Urdu/Klingon is fine; it's a question out of curiosity. However, asking me why not is out of line, and an invasion of my privacy. Therefore my question about your favorite role in inter-species orgies."

[Edited at 2008-07-01 06:41]

[Edited at 2008-07-01 06:42]
Collapse

B M-C
B M-C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
I feel your pain! Jul 3, 2008

Nicole,

You say in your post: "For one I am very surprised, or should I say shocked, at the level of criticism and negative comments I get from friends and acquaintances...." Unfortunately, from my own experience as a mother (I have a 3 year old), only thing I can say to you is: get used to it!!. From now on you are going to be judged on every decision you make and you will understand the true meaning of the "mummy wars" expression. From how you decide to give birth, feed your baby,
... See more
Nicole,

You say in your post: "For one I am very surprised, or should I say shocked, at the level of criticism and negative comments I get from friends and acquaintances...." Unfortunately, from my own experience as a mother (I have a 3 year old), only thing I can say to you is: get used to it!!. From now on you are going to be judged on every decision you make and you will understand the true meaning of the "mummy wars" expression. From how you decide to give birth, feed your baby, choose childcare..real nappies v. disposables, breast v. bottle, going back to work or staying at home..the list will be endless and yes, how you speak to your child will be an issue too.

You say: "However, English is my dominant language, speaking German does not come natural to me at all and I find it impossible to speak to my baby in German". Well I think you have answered yourself here. How are you supposed to bond with your baby if you have to "think" first before you say something or translate in your head. You will do whatever comes natural to you. It's amazing, I can't sing to save my life but when I am with my child and since she was born I always feel an urge to break into song, like in a bad musical. babies find the voice of their mothers singing soothing. Nature is wise and I do it because it feels natural. I am a native Spanish speaker and what feels natural to me is to sing to her a made up single song that she loves...it goes: "kiss you like a baby..love you like a baby.."

I really feel your pain as I am getting a lot of flak from my family because my toddler speaks English better than Spanish. This is of course something else I am doing "wrong" (I am rolling my eyes as I speak). But, they don't understand how difficult it is. I have lived in England and spoken English everyday for the last ten years, English comes very naturally to me now (albeit still full of mistakes!). Something else they don't understand is that for me language is organised in "life experience" compartments in my head. With this I mean that for me the experience of having a baby is an "english" experience and the vocabulary and the thought process is English. I didn't have a lot of contact with babies as I was growing up in Spain, I have no younger brothers or sisters and I left Spain before I was remotely broody. if you have spent the whole afternoon singing the "wheels on the bus.." with your baby and your friends at a play group, it is natural to go home and sing the same song. I had to make an effort to go online to find Spanish nursery rhymes because all i could honestly remember was the first two lines of "tengo una muñeca vestida de azul..". My husband is welsh and we speak English at home. Most of my friends are English, and if you are having a conversation with other people, suddenly turning to your child and saying something in a different language that no one else understands is not always nice. I feel rude to be honest and if I am exhausted I have to admit that I struggle. Her vocabulary is also much more developed in English, and I know that I can sit down and chatter to her in Spanish, but if I need to give her clear instructions (ie stop pulling the cat's tail) they need to be in English. I have also noticed she gets anxious about speaking to her grandparents or other Spanish members of the family because she can tell she is not as good at it as english, so she tries to avoid it.

If you find it difficult to speak in german yourself to your child but you still want him to have exposure to the language, my advice is to find a german playgroup in your area or german mums to meet with regularly. Other material such as videos, songs, books etc is good too, but they are no substitute to a human being. Problem is children find out very quickly which language they can communicate with the most efficiency, so if his little friends also speak English, chances are they will among themselves too. My toddler does this. from my experience, the spanish-english children that speak spanish most fluently here in England are the ones that either get sent to spain for long periods of times during the holidays, have monolingual family members around 24-7 or parents speak Spanish at home.

But most important of all, do what is comfortable to you. I think that teaching a child a language when they are young and it's easy is a gift, but no one says it's your obligation. As a mum, you are going to feel guilty about a million things, don't let this be one of them.
Collapse

Gabriel Csaba
Gabriel Csaba  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing observation Jul 5, 2008

Belén Martín-Caravaca wrote:
...language is organised in "life experience" compartments in my head.

Belén, this is so true I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out!

Flor M. Vargas (X)
Flor M. Vargas (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do what comes naturally to you Jul 5, 2008

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:

Hello all,

There's been a similar thread recently but I want to put a slightly different slant on it:

My native language is German, my husband's native language is English and we just had our first baby who is now 8 weeks old. Now, most people assume we are raising him bilingually, with me speaking German to him and my husband English.

However, English is my dominant language, speaking German does not come natural to me at all and I find it impossible to speak to my baby in German. I keep trying to force myself to speak German to him but it just does not work. I'd feel like speaking to him in an 'artificial' language and am worried I would not be able to develop a 'natural' relationship with him, as I would constantly sound stilted and 'forced' if I spoke German.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that it would obviously be a massive advantage if he grew up speaking German as well and I almost feel guilty about speaking to him in English. Saying that, there is no family in Germany with whom he would need to communicate in German, and we are going to relocate to Australia in the near future where employment agencies have told me the demand for German is very low (unless he wants to become a freelance translator of course). Interestingly, I have a French friend with a British husband who feels exactly the same: She only speaks English to her child as well even though French is her mother tongue but does not come natural to her anymore.

Now I have a couple of questions/observations:

For one I am very surprised, or should I say shocked, at the level of criticism and negative comments I get from friends and acquaintances when they learn that I do not speak German to my baby, especially being a translator myself. It seems to be socially expected and no other choice acceptable, which I find outrageous to be honest. Is it so absurd that I want to speak to him in what comes and feels natural, i.e English? (He's a "sweatheart", not a "Schatz"!)

Secondly, do you think that it would be possible for him to pick up German solely through audio tapes, children's books, DVD's and trips to Germany several times a year? Or is this a lost cause if I do not constantly actively talk to him in the language?

Is anyone else in the same situation who has a different native language than his/her partner but did not raise his/her children bilingually for whatever reason? What have been your experiences?

I look forward to your replies

Nicole

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Jul 5, 2008

apart from my obviously 'strange' ideas about identity, you have described exactly my situation...

Giovanni

Belén Martín-Caravaca wrote:

Nicole,

You say in your post: "For one I am very surprised, or should I say shocked, at the level of criticism and negative comments I get from friends and acquaintances...." Unfortunately, from my own experience as a mother (I have a 3 year old), only thing I can say to you is: get used to it!!. From now on you are going to be judged on every decision you make and you will understand the true meaning of the "mummy wars" expression. From how you decide to give birth, feed your baby, choose childcare..real nappies v. disposables, breast v. bottle, going back to work or staying at home..the list will be endless and yes, how you speak to your child will be an issue too.

You say: "However, English is my dominant language, speaking German does not come natural to me at all and I find it impossible to speak to my baby in German". Well I think you have answered yourself here. How are you supposed to bond with your baby if you have to "think" first before you say something or translate in your head. You will do whatever comes natural to you. It's amazing, I can't sing to save my life but when I am with my child and since she was born I always feel an urge to break into song, like in a bad musical. babies find the voice of their mothers singing soothing. Nature is wise and I do it because it feels natural. I am a native Spanish speaker and what feels natural to me is to sing to her a made up single song that she loves...it goes: "kiss you like a baby..love you like a baby.."

I really feel your pain as I am getting a lot of flak from my family because my toddler speaks English better than Spanish. This is of course something else I am doing "wrong" (I am rolling my eyes as I speak). But, they don't understand how difficult it is. I have lived in England and spoken English everyday for the last ten years, English comes very naturally to me now (albeit still full of mistakes!). Something else they don't understand is that for me language is organised in "life experience" compartments in my head. With this I mean that for me the experience of having a baby is an "english" experience and the vocabulary and the thought process is English. I didn't have a lot of contact with babies as I was growing up in Spain, I have no younger brothers or sisters and I left Spain before I was remotely broody. if you have spent the whole afternoon singing the "wheels on the bus.." with your baby and your friends at a play group, it is natural to go home and sing the same song. I had to make an effort to go online to find Spanish nursery rhymes because all i could honestly remember was the first two lines of "tengo una muñeca vestida de azul..". My husband is welsh and we speak English at home. Most of my friends are English, and if you are having a conversation with other people, suddenly turning to your child and saying something in a different language that no one else understands is not always nice. I feel rude to be honest and if I am exhausted I have to admit that I struggle. Her vocabulary is also much more developed in English, and I know that I can sit down and chatter to her in Spanish, but if I need to give her clear instructions (ie stop pulling the cat's tail) they need to be in English. I have also noticed she gets anxious about speaking to her grandparents or other Spanish members of the family because she can tell she is not as good at it as english, so she tries to avoid it.

If you find it difficult to speak in german yourself to your child but you still want him to have exposure to the language, my advice is to find a german playgroup in your area or german mums to meet with regularly. Other material such as videos, songs, books etc is good too, but they are no substitute to a human being. Problem is children find out very quickly which language they can communicate with the most efficiency, so if his little friends also speak English, chances are they will among themselves too. My toddler does this. from my experience, the spanish-english children that speak spanish most fluently here in England are the ones that either get sent to spain for long periods of times during the holidays, have monolingual family members around 24-7 or parents speak Spanish at home.

But most important of all, do what is comfortable to you. I think that teaching a child a language when they are young and it's easy is a gift, but no one says it's your obligation. As a mum, you are going to feel guilty about a million things, don't let this be one of them.

smita sinha
smita sinha
Italian to English
give your baby the gift of an additional language as a baby Jul 8, 2008

I have a son who is going to be 5 years old this oct.2008.He speaks 3 languages fluently and knows a few words/sentences of the other two languages. He speaks English, Hindi (I am Indian and hindi is my mother tounge),Kannada(his fathers mother tounge) and learnt a few words and phrases of Italian (I am Italian language translator, interpretor and teacher).He picked up chinese words and numbers during our one year stay in China. As a mother I was very keen that he learn as many new languages and... See more
I have a son who is going to be 5 years old this oct.2008.He speaks 3 languages fluently and knows a few words/sentences of the other two languages. He speaks English, Hindi (I am Indian and hindi is my mother tounge),Kannada(his fathers mother tounge) and learnt a few words and phrases of Italian (I am Italian language translator, interpretor and teacher).He picked up chinese words and numbers during our one year stay in China. As a mother I was very keen that he learn as many new languages and cultures as possible.It is believed that human brain has the abilioty to learn several languages till the age of 8-9.I think this way he is more receptive to totally alien cultures and he adapts well and puts in better effort at learning new things.His brain works in a more multidimensional manner as he converses with me in Hindi and then as easily switces over to Kannada to talk to his Dad.He started translating languages as early as when he was 2.
I think the reson why he is so comfortable with so many languages is because I spoke to him in whichever language that I felt like at that moment. Initialy I explained to him that when I said Ti Amo it was in italian but as we went along I switched languages as per the situation.Like I speak Kannada when I am with my husbands family and then talk to my parents in Hindi and we speak English while we discuss his school etc.
I think it was a good step in the long run to have him speak many languages as he feel closer to his grandparents and does not feel like an alien when visiting them.In future if he has an opportunity to visit another country his basic skill at picking up languages will help him in learn the native language much faster.
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Who knows? Jul 10, 2008

What is the best solution? Who knows?

My wife is Swedish and I am English, our two children were born in Sweden and unfortunately the general advice at the time was 'stick to one language'. Which of course was the 'mother tongue'.
I regret following the advice, but you can't turn the clock back.

I now have two grandchildren living in France, both parents speak Swedish as their first language, so there is no problem about 'choosing' a language. The oldest child, 3
... See more
What is the best solution? Who knows?

My wife is Swedish and I am English, our two children were born in Sweden and unfortunately the general advice at the time was 'stick to one language'. Which of course was the 'mother tongue'.
I regret following the advice, but you can't turn the clock back.

I now have two grandchildren living in France, both parents speak Swedish as their first language, so there is no problem about 'choosing' a language. The oldest child, 3 years 4 months, attends school (they begin early in France) and is getting on nicely.
The family has several English-speaking friends and neighbours, and the child also understands the language and is learning naturally how to communicate.

Up to about the age of 11 years a child learns languages absolutely fluently.

Every single language is the most important language in the world.
Being bilingual or multilingual is not only socially acceptable, it is a great advantage and a source of personal satisfaction.

And who knows? It might be useful in all sorts of ways.
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
So right... Jul 31, 2008

Berni Armstrong wrote:
..... If I could choose between being bilingual and having a firm identity, I know which one I would go for...

I find it sad Giovanni that you imply that an accident of birth is the be all and end all of our identities.

Since a distant cousin of mine first stepped out of Apollo 11 onto the Moon, we have been reminded how small and delicate our tiny blue world is. Do any of us really need to cling to outdated 19th Century concepts of nationhood to find an identity in our increasingly global world. If so, I find that a sad reflection on the chains those who drew the borders in the age of nationalism have left us as a legacy.

Very, very well said, Berni!

Many people still seem to have quite a one-sided view of nationality. I do understand everyone needs some kind of "roots" (I guess), but why would your identity have to be based on just one nationality? Why couldn't someone's identity be, say, Swedish-Italian? Or whatever the two (or more) cultures involved are, of course.

Another matter...
Lesley Clarke wrote:

You´d better get used to being criticised about your parenting, whatever you do will be criticised and undermined by other people.

Yes, exactly, whatever you do! Very well said, too.

(Not to mention that in some countries, i.e. here in the UK, even all society's ills are starting to be blamed on parents, public debate which I've been following with increasing horror...)

Maria Salud Herrero Calpena (X)
Maria Salud Herrero Calpena (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience Aug 27, 2008

I know how you feel, just use the language that comes naturally to you. My husband is bilingual in Spanish and Catalan but he feels more confortable with Catalan and he is using it to our twin daughters. People expected me to talk to them in English but although (according to my native English friends)my English is very good I could not talk to them in English. I know some teachers who talk to their children in English even when they are native Spanish and the result is quite bad. The worst thin... See more
I know how you feel, just use the language that comes naturally to you. My husband is bilingual in Spanish and Catalan but he feels more confortable with Catalan and he is using it to our twin daughters. People expected me to talk to them in English but although (according to my native English friends)my English is very good I could not talk to them in English. I know some teachers who talk to their children in English even when they are native Spanish and the result is quite bad. The worst thing is that other people (I come from a small town), criticise you and think they have the right to tell you that's wrong. But of course they have never been in a similar situation.
Ignore everybody and do just what you think it's best and I think it is talking to your child with confidence and naturally.
Good luck,
Maria Salud
Collapse

Silvia Brandon-Pérez
Silvia Brandon-Pérez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
... as the mother of five multilingual children Sep 5, 2008

My third son, Alessandro, called me a couple of months ago to thank me for having been the Spanish sergeant as the children called me behind my back. He had made a substantial amount of money that week for a large law firm in New Jersey going over translations of documents... It nicely supplements any other income. He said he had realized that the language I had taught them during their growing up years was a gift, no different from anything I might have put under the Christmas tree...
... See more
My third son, Alessandro, called me a couple of months ago to thank me for having been the Spanish sergeant as the children called me behind my back. He had made a substantial amount of money that week for a large law firm in New Jersey going over translations of documents... It nicely supplements any other income. He said he had realized that the language I had taught them during their growing up years was a gift, no different from anything I might have put under the Christmas tree...

I had four boys and a girl, all grown now, and I was determined that they would learn Spanish at home. My ex-husband was born in Italy, but would not speak Italian at home, and I was born in Cuba. I spoke to them in Spanish almost all the time, and years later when my fourth was having problems in school, I home-schooled the last three and taught them French as well as Spanish, plus the Italian they were getting from their grandmother. Why the Spanish sergeant? Because although they had all been spoken Spanish too from birth, after they began school it was hard to make them continue talking at home... so I would often pretend not to understand them unless they spoke back en español.

Here is my input, for whatever it's worth. One makes sacrifices for children; I became a very careful shopper, choosing organic items whenever they were available, cooking home-cooked meals... I never bought baby food, because it is so easy to make it at home (well, not so easy, but so much healthier...)

In the context of what we do for our children, in order to enrich their lives, another language is such a wonderful opportunity... because language is also culture, is also tolerance, is also a broadening of the way one thinks. I gave my children access to a rich culture, to movies and books and music and food; in the same way that you should play a variety of music to your child (from opera to jazz), you should make an attempt, if you have the ability to provide something more, to do so. In the end, all of my kids have used their languages to earn money, to travel abroad, to make new friends. It is such a wonderful thing to be multilingual and multicultural...

So think about it as one more thing you will do for that baby. We carry them for nine months and then nurture them for a lifetime.
Collapse

galinacollet
galinacollet
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Things end up working themselves out Sep 6, 2008

I live in Austria and am always amazed at the difficult situations my friends find themselves in with regard to raising their kids...
My mum is Bulgarian and I was born and grew up in England. Before getting pregnant, she observed friends and colleagues and was shocked at how much they missed out on by having strict language policies (e.g. kid comes home from school in England and doesn't want to tell mum the stories in Bulgarian because they "happened in English").

Despite
... See more
I live in Austria and am always amazed at the difficult situations my friends find themselves in with regard to raising their kids...
My mum is Bulgarian and I was born and grew up in England. Before getting pregnant, she observed friends and colleagues and was shocked at how much they missed out on by having strict language policies (e.g. kid comes home from school in England and doesn't want to tell mum the stories in Bulgarian because they "happened in English").

Despite never speaking Bulgarian at home, I have native speaker competence thanks to spending summer holidays there where no-one spoke English and picking it up as I went along. I was also lucky enough to have very cruel male friends as a teenager and have every mistake mockingly corrected. Admittedly since I never studied there (and haven't read many books), my reading and writing isn't perfect and I would have problems doing specialist translations in this language pair but, thanks to extensive experience, simultaneous interpretation is no problem...

KIDS LEARN! There is far too much fussing about rights and wrongs in this field. The only sweeping statement I would make is that to acquire a "perfect" accent, you should probably be well exposed to the language before age 10. Otherwise, speak the language of the country you live in, go to a state school and hope that you're lucky enough to have contact with the cultures that your parents grew up in.

Language is a means of communication and artificial constraints are very unlikely to have a positive effect...
Collapse

Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins
Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 04:10
English to Polish
+ ...
It's up to you Apr 3, 2011

I'm expecting my own bundle of joy to arrive within a week or so and I simply can't wait to pass my language skills on to her. As a linguist, I hold my mother tongue dear and I simply couldn't imagine my own child not being able to speak it. Thus she will be blessed (or cursed) with being bilingual and bicultural (Polish-English) and I'm afraid that it's a question of facts rather than choices. I don't feel even remotely British, so how could my child be?

Even though I do what I do
... See more
I'm expecting my own bundle of joy to arrive within a week or so and I simply can't wait to pass my language skills on to her. As a linguist, I hold my mother tongue dear and I simply couldn't imagine my own child not being able to speak it. Thus she will be blessed (or cursed) with being bilingual and bicultural (Polish-English) and I'm afraid that it's a question of facts rather than choices. I don't feel even remotely British, so how could my child be?

Even though I do what I do for a living and even though I live in an English speaking country (and in an English speaking relationship), I still think that the child would benefit much more by acquiring a proper British accent and language structures from my husband than by having to listen to my tainted attempts at speaking in a native-like fashion.

That having been said, each to their own. I know mixed couples that have decided to bring their children monoligually and, even though I can't say I understand their choice, I definitely don't condemn them. Personally, I find languages fascinating and - as someone's mentioned here or in one of the other threads - I perceive an extra language as a wonderful gift which will cost me little, but hopefully will benefit my child greatly in the future by making her a richer, better person.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Choosing *not* to raise baby bilingually socially acceptable?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »