https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/337892-what_do_you_guys_do_when_a_client_doesnt_want_to_pay_for_your_work-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What do you guys do when a client doesn't want to pay for your work?
Thread poster: Martina Balzano
Martina Balzano
Martina Balzano
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:40
Member (2018)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got paid! Oct 18, 2019

After two weeks of (almost) daily reminders.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:40
English to German
+ ...
I'm glad you got paid Oct 18, 2019

Martina Štefková wrote:

Congratulations Martina. You were lucky. It could have been worse. I recommend being very careful especially with agencies you have never worked for.
Best wishes,
B

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
1st-job payment problem = out! Oct 18, 2019

To clarify, if a new client fails to make timely payment, my policy is not to accept further work from that source. The same applies if a client makes unjustified difficulties or complaints at the very outset. Don't pour good money after bad.

[Edited at 2019-10-18 20:17 GMT]

Sheila Wilson

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Communication rulez Oct 19, 2019

While a recommendation to double-check prospects and avoid late payers makes sense, without considering national and big foreign/religious events (e.g. Christmas Day on December 25, January 6, January 7, January 19, or June 15; let alone Xmas holidays), one can easily become notorious for "Wolf-wolf!", going belly up.

Besides the internet issues and routine, sometimes a real good-intention client--who is not [yet] aware of so many artificial translation biz peculiarities... See more
While a recommendation to double-check prospects and avoid late payers makes sense, without considering national and big foreign/religious events (e.g. Christmas Day on December 25, January 6, January 7, January 19, or June 15; let alone Xmas holidays), one can easily become notorious for "Wolf-wolf!", going belly up.

Besides the internet issues and routine, sometimes a real good-intention client--who is not [yet] aware of so many artificial translation biz peculiarities--sincerely wants his job done, but may have a distorted distorted idea or just lack particular numbers and specifications: you can make it clear and co-op successfully--or label each other nicely. For instance, once a friend of mine mentioned, after xMT/CAT hypes, her prospect was convinced that translation and proofreading of a specialized 20,000-word text even in DjVu file format should take no longer than 24h at $0.03/word max...
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Blue Board Oct 19, 2019

Martina Štefková wrote:

Now give them a Blue Board entry. And don't be kind.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Off topic (of course) Oct 19, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Welcome back, Tom. Glad to read from you again ...

Iris Schmerda

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Oct 20, 2019

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Welcome back, Tom. Glad to read from you again ...

Thanks Matthias for your kind remark - but I won't be back much.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you guys do when a client doesn't want to pay for your work?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »