Thread poster: Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2019

A potential new client wants to know how many words I've translated in total as a translator. I have not kept track of this. I've worked in several software, online and offline, so I probably can't even guess the amount.

Is it common to count the words you have translated? Or have you encountered a client who wants to know?

Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yearly total of words Sep 26, 2019

I’ve been translating for over 30 years and I was asked that question for the first time some ten years ago, since then I make my total at the end of each year on the base of the total of words invoiced. It’s quite easy with an Excel spreadsheet.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
How many words have I translated? Sep 26, 2019

Do you remember how many pieces of bread you've eaten?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some clients believe... Sep 26, 2019

jentranslation wrote:
A potential new client wants to know how many words I've translated in total as a translator.

Some clients believe translators keep track of all sorts of things, e.g. how many words for which and which end-clients, what various kinds of documents, and how many words of each, etc., etc. Well, most of us don't keep track of that. So, just estimate very broadly.

Kevin Fulton

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel is easy and stuff ;) Sep 26, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

I make my total at the end of each year on the base of the total of words invoiced. It’s quite easy with an Excel spreadsheet.

Yeah, that'll work! Not looking forward to tallying it all up manually though.

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not keeping track so.. Sep 26, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

... just estimate very broadly.

Estimating broadly might be my cup of tea. Cheers.

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yum Sep 26, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Do you remember how many pieces of bread you've eaten?

If only...

A. & S. Witte
A. & S. Witte
Germany
German to English
+ ...
(Annual bottom line, i.e. net sales less business expenses before taxes +10%)/0.09 currency units pw Sep 26, 2019

For example, (€ 65,000+10%)/€ 0.09 = 794,444 words translated in that year.

As a very rough guesstimate. (The guesstimate will easily be out by, say, 100,000 words, in particular if you edit third-party translations a lot or still have many direct customers.) Works with CHF, GBP, USD and EUR as long as you reside in the respective currency zone but probably not with AUD, NZD, CAD, JPY, CNY, HKD, NOK, SEK, PLN and TRY.

I cannot vouch for this formula as it's only hom
... See more
For example, (€ 65,000+10%)/€ 0.09 = 794,444 words translated in that year.

As a very rough guesstimate. (The guesstimate will easily be out by, say, 100,000 words, in particular if you edit third-party translations a lot or still have many direct customers.) Works with CHF, GBP, USD and EUR as long as you reside in the respective currency zone but probably not with AUD, NZD, CAD, JPY, CNY, HKD, NOK, SEK, PLN and TRY.

I cannot vouch for this formula as it's only home-grown.

[Edited at 2019-09-26 16:21 GMT]
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)

James Heppe-Smith
James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:53
German to English

Moderator of this forum
Accounts? Sep 26, 2019

If you have records of your translation income over the past few years and know your per word rate, you can probably make a good estimation.

Cannot say I have ever been asked for this particular information though. I could work it out from my invoices which mostly have the number of words listed. Would be a pain though.

Good luck with the prospective customer.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Been translating for nearly twenty years, and... Sep 26, 2019

... I think I've been asked this question once!

My advice would be to guess.

Angie Garbarino

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Professionals associations often want to.know Sep 26, 2019

I was asked by a translators' association years ago. That's when I started to maintain an excel sheet that automatically calculates all sorts of things. As well as grand total there are totals per main clients, main subject areas and service type. It also calculates words per hour and rate per hour. I use it to populate my invoices so it isn't really an overhead at all.

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
I don't need to know Sep 27, 2019

My approach to business is the old KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid. (Speaking to myself, here, no offence intended).

I only keep track of things that are relevant to me, and I don't need to know the exact (or even rough) number of words that I have translated over the last 20 years. I'm really only interested in the bottom line: How much do I earn?

Why would I bother to maintain spreadsheets with such data? Just in case a potential client wants to know? In my book, it is e
... See more
My approach to business is the old KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid. (Speaking to myself, here, no offence intended).

I only keep track of things that are relevant to me, and I don't need to know the exact (or even rough) number of words that I have translated over the last 20 years. I'm really only interested in the bottom line: How much do I earn?

Why would I bother to maintain spreadsheets with such data? Just in case a potential client wants to know? In my book, it is enough to state that I have worked full-time as a professional translator for 20 years, which is what I tell potential clients if they ask.
Collapse

Oleksandr Ivanov
Paweł Hamerski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many words have I translated total?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »