Tina Delia
Tina Delia  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:38
French to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2019

Hello,

Yesterday, I was offered a job by a bureau, using Trados Studio 2019.

I was given a lump sum price for the job, which I accepted.

I got a last minute message from the project manager saying "please check 100% matches and please check names and figures against the source PDF".

I had accepted the job with the understanding that the 100% matches were not to be dealt with.

I am relatively new to discounts based on percentag
... See more
Hello,

Yesterday, I was offered a job by a bureau, using Trados Studio 2019.

I was given a lump sum price for the job, which I accepted.

I got a last minute message from the project manager saying "please check 100% matches and please check names and figures against the source PDF".

I had accepted the job with the understanding that the 100% matches were not to be dealt with.

I am relatively new to discounts based on percentage matches, but it would seem to me that when the whole document ultimately has to be checked, there is not much point in giving discounts for text analysis.

I would be grateful for advice and views on this.

Many thanks!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tina Sep 7, 2019

What’s the point of using a CAT tool if you have to check a 100% match? If you’re asked to, then it means that that segment is but an 100% match!

Tina Delia
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I fully agree. Sep 7, 2019

Thank you @Teresa! Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something.

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:38
Member (2014)
English to German
Different opinion Sep 8, 2019

The PM asked you explicitly to check the 100% matches, so this is part of the contract and they would not ask for it if this would be not necessary.

Maybe the text was not checked by a reviewer, maybe the client wants a second or third check. Sometimes there are issues caused e.g. by copy & paste resulting from proofreading. In translations from e.g. English into German (my working languages) 100% matches might not match the flow of the text or could even change the meaning. In such
... See more
The PM asked you explicitly to check the 100% matches, so this is part of the contract and they would not ask for it if this would be not necessary.

Maybe the text was not checked by a reviewer, maybe the client wants a second or third check. Sometimes there are issues caused e.g. by copy & paste resulting from proofreading. In translations from e.g. English into German (my working languages) 100% matches might not match the flow of the text or could even change the meaning. In such cases checking 100% matches is really essential for the quality of the target text.

I personally would recommend checking those matches carefully.
Collapse

Tina Delia
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The issue is getting paid to check the 100% matches Sep 8, 2019

Hi Silke,

Thank you for your comment.

I have no doubt that they need to be checked.

My issue is that 100% matches should not be heavily discounted if they still need to be checked. I essentially would not be paid to check the 100% matches or to do a final review of the hard copies of the job.

It seems to me that, while translators are expected to give discounts for our work, CAT tools don't necessarily make our work proportionally easier, just
... See more
Hi Silke,

Thank you for your comment.

I have no doubt that they need to be checked.

My issue is that 100% matches should not be heavily discounted if they still need to be checked. I essentially would not be paid to check the 100% matches or to do a final review of the hard copies of the job.

It seems to me that, while translators are expected to give discounts for our work, CAT tools don't necessarily make our work proportionally easier, just cheaper for the bureaus.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Catherine Hess

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for work in SDL Trados - Checking 100% matches/PDF Review

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »