Helene van der Westhuizen  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 15:15
Member (2013)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 31

Good afternoon,

Can I ask what the going rates are among translators who do Post-editing on machine translations?

I apologise if it has been discussed before, but I haven't been able to find it on a quick search and my time is very limited.

I am asking in the context of MTPEs really being new translations more often than not?

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 14:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Helene May 31

I admittedly don't have much experience with MTPE but regarding the few cases I have worked so far I only quoted after having a good look at the text. If it’s good (it happens) I quote the same as proofreading, if it is a disgrace (it happens) I either decline or I quote as a translation from scratch…

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Helene May 31

Helene van der Westhuizen wrote:
Can I ask what the going rates are among translators who do post-editing on machine translations?

I do not often do PEMT, but here are my views:

Some agencies (particularly middle-man agencies) want to pay an editing rate for PEMT, so unless you quote a rate that is 1/3 or 1/4 of the translation rate that they accept, you won't get the job. Realistically, PEMT should be charged per hour, because you never know whether the client's machine translation system produces good or bad translations. However, many agencies prefer to hear a per-word rate, not an hourly rate (or: they accept an hourly rate, but then cap the number of hours). The problem with per-word rates for PEMT, as you can imagine, is that you seldom know what quality of translations get pumped out by the client's machine translation system.

I usually say that for once-off jobs or for the first few jobs of a longer project, my PEMT rate is the same as or within 80% of my usual translation rate. For long-term projects (i.e. where I'm able to evaluate the client's machine translation system and determine how good or bad it is), I'm willing to reduce my PEMT rate eventually, if the machine translation system produces good and/or consistent machine translations.

There are agencies offering PEMT who are willing to pay a fair rate (i.e. per hour, or high per-word rate), but most offers of PEMT that I get these says are for clients who believe they can save a buck by pre-translating their text against a machine.

In addition, when you're offered PEMT, ask the client whether he wants you to stick to the machine translation as closely as possible or whether he wants you to assume all freedom in how you translate (using the machine translation simply as a typing aid).

Samuel

Barbara Sickor

Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
@Helene May 31

I typically charge my clients 80% of my rate for translation for MTPE. My reason for this is that the process I apply is very different to the one I use for editing or proofreading a human translation even if quality of the MT is better than average. Consequently, more work is consequently involved on my part as for instance I have to do all the terminology research that would normally be done by thee human translator and that is time consuming especially when acronyms are involved.

Valérie Ourset
Helene van der Westhuizen

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Helene Jun 2

In the end PEMT is nothing more and nothing less then proofing a bad text, whatever they say (my experience). Some clients want you to edit it into a perfect text, others are happy when it is 'readable', whatever that is.

In either way, you will spent more time on the first one and less time on the second. And since 1 hour in South Africa also has 60 minutes, as anywhere else in the world, I would suggest you ask an hourly rate. Only seems fare, except for the agency: 'Hey, it is a
... See more
In the end PEMT is nothing more and nothing less then proofing a bad text, whatever they say (my experience). Some clients want you to edit it into a perfect text, others are happy when it is 'readable', whatever that is.

In either way, you will spent more time on the first one and less time on the second. And since 1 hour in South Africa also has 60 minutes, as anywhere else in the world, I would suggest you ask an hourly rate. Only seems fare, except for the agency: 'Hey, it is a MT-translation'. The logic still beats me.

[Edited at 2019-06-02 22:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-02 22:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-02 22:45 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going rates for MTPE

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search