Thread poster: Ilse Heyrman
Ilse Heyrman
Ilse Heyrman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 29, 2019

I have been asked to quote for a transcription job (Dutch - Dutch, my native language). The video is 54 minutes long. I regularly do subtitling but have not often done transcription. What would be a decent rate for this type of job?

I do not want to underquote but I obviously I would like to get the job, so any guidance would be most welcome.

thanks for any feedback.

Ilse

Khalid Sabili
Khalid Sabili  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends Apr 29, 2019

Ilse Heyrman wrote:

I have been asked to quote for a transcription job (Dutch - Dutch, my native language). The video is 54 minutes long. I regularly do subtitling but have not often done transcription. What would be a decent rate for this type of job?

I do not want to underquote but I obviously I would like to get the job, so any guidance would be most welcome.

thanks for any feedback.

Ilse

I would charge my hourly rate as it could take anything between 3 to 10 hours to transcribe, depending on the quality and clarity.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Towards the top end, I'd say Apr 29, 2019

Khalid Sabili wrote:
I would charge my hourly rate as it could take anything between 3 to 10 hours to transcribe, depending on the quality and clarity.

I've never managed to transcribe an hour in three hours; more like five. But maybe I'm not ultra-fast. As you say, speed depends on so many different things:
Number of speakers (and how each has to be identified)
Quality of the recording
Density of speech - obviously, it takes less time to transcribe the silent periods
Mood, accent and diction of the speakers (imagine an argument vs. a presentation, for example)
etc.

Do make sure you get the entire audio before committing yourself, and do spot-checks throughout the file. You may just want to turn the job down as some are quite simply impossible. Ask yourself why they aren't going to an audio-typist - they should be the experts, and cheaper.

Ilse Heyrman
Khalid Sabili

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for transcription job Dutch - Dutch

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »