Thread poster: Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:45
English to French
Mar 7, 2019

Hello all,

I am currently using PayPal for payments and am getting tired of having a big chunk of my hard-earned money skimmed by PayPal. For international payments 4.4% + a fixed fee.

What service to do you use and/or do you know another platform with lower fees?

Thank you,

Gregory

Desiree Davidse

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, 2 Mar 8, 2019

1) Skrill, which works basically like Paypal, but without % fees (if I recall correctly). You pay one fee per transfer to your bank accopunt.

2) Transferwise. How I've used it: you can create a bank account in several countries, to where your clients transfer your payment, and you then transfer the money to your "real" bank account, paying basically only the transfer fees.

Good luck!

Vanda Nissen
Chris Spurgin
Chris Pr
YURA YANG
Emily Gilby

Thao Tran
Thao Tran
Vietnam
Local time: 07:45
Member (2017)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Payoneer and Global Payment Service Mar 8, 2019

You can consider Payoneer and its Global Payment Service. Payoneer allows you to have bank accounts in Europe and UK. Transferwise also allows you to open account in Australia. These bank accounts make it convenient for your clients to make local transfers and the costs associated with them are much much lower than Paypal's. About 2%.

Chris Spurgin
YURA YANG

Armine Abelyan
Armine Abelyan
Armenia
Local time: 04:45
English to Armenian
+ ...
Wire tranfers Mar 8, 2019

I have used skrill, payoneer but finally I understood that better to pay wire transfer fee and to do that via skrill.
If you have small amount, skrill works better, in case the amount is big, skrill takes more and in that case better to pay wire transfer one time fee.

Hope we could be helpful.
Armine Abelyan, Armenia

Morano El-Kholy

Yoana Ivanova
Yoana Ivanova  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 03:45
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Skrill as recommended above Mar 8, 2019

With skrill you have a fixed fee for making a transfer directly to your bank account and that's 5.50 euros.
You can check it out on their website.

You have the option of transferring to a Visa card as well, but then you also get a percentage fee.

On PayPal, if you are sending someone money, choose send to friends abroad and there is no fee, I last used that yesterday.

Marsha Conroy
Marsha Conroy
United States
French to English
In memoriam
PayPal alternative in USA Mar 9, 2019

I use ZELLEpay for US transactions. Free. Simple app. Quick transfer - payee pays directly into your email account, and you get instant email letting you know you have money in your account.

Abraham Abukar

Mark Hemming
Mark Hemming  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Try Payoneer Mar 19, 2019

As I believe another poster mentioned, Payoneer is a good alternative with much lower fees.

Jane Martin
Jane Martin  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Transferwise Mar 20, 2019

Also very good - payment comes through immediately and they charge a tiny fee.

Desiree Davidse

Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Mar 20, 2019

Thank you all for your input. I found out since I posted this that my main client has a US checking account. Ouch. I've lost quite a bit of money in the last few months in PayPal fees, but I will be able to cash in the full amount I invoice with them from now on. I did create a Transferwise account, however, and am a bit confused about how it all works. From what I understand, to send money to a US account, the payer needs your routing number and account number, correct?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:45
English to French
+ ...
and the address Mar 20, 2019

I don't know whether this is mandatory, but mentioning the Bank name, branch name/number and address is more than recommended.

Gregory Lassale wrote:

to send money to a US account, the payer needs your routing number and account number, correct?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal alternatives?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »