Non payment from an Italian agency
Thread poster: Marco Solinas
Marco Solinas
Marco Solinas  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2019

An Italian agency for which I have recently completed three jobs has not paid the three respective invoices (for a total of about €800). The agency had no quality or deadline complaints: they have acknowledged that my work was "excellent". I have already reported this to the Blue Board, to ensure that my colleagues are aware of the risk involved in working with this agency. I would like to take it a step further: are there any credit rating agencies (in Italy or elsewhere) to which I could rep... See more
An Italian agency for which I have recently completed three jobs has not paid the three respective invoices (for a total of about €800). The agency had no quality or deadline complaints: they have acknowledged that my work was "excellent". I have already reported this to the Blue Board, to ensure that my colleagues are aware of the risk involved in working with this agency. I would like to take it a step further: are there any credit rating agencies (in Italy or elsewhere) to which I could report the non-payment?Collapse

Michael Newton

Franco Catanzaro
Franco Catanzaro
Local time: 17:14
Latin to English
+ ...
Well... Jan 10, 2019

Sincerely? You have lost money and you will never get it back. Good luck, sorry for this.

[Edited at 2019-01-10 20:41 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
So why.... Jan 11, 2019

Marco Solinas wrote:

An Italian agency for which I have recently completed three jobs has not paid the three respective invoices (for a total of about €800). The agency had no quality or deadline complaints: they have acknowledged that my work was "excellent". I have already reported this to the Blue Board, to ensure that my colleagues are aware of the risk involved in working with this agency. I would like to take it a step further: are there any credit rating agencies (in Italy or elsewhere) to which I could report the non-payment?

It didn't take much to work out who this agency is. But your very recent (2 days ago) BB entry for them says "Excellent agency to work for: Clear instructions, good support, reasonable deadlines, prompt payments".

I'm concerned. What happened? Many Prozians have expressed concern, many times in the past, that the BB is being misused by outsourcers, some of whom pay when they get a bad rating, on condition that you change the rating to a good one.

I hope that wasn't the case here, because doing so makes the BB non-credible as a guide to the behaviour of agencies.

[Edited at 2019-01-11 13:20 GMT]

Marco Solinas
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Non payment from an Italian agency Jan 11, 2019

Hello Tom:
the entry you mention is not the one to which I was referring. The rules prevent me from naming the agency in question.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OIC Jan 11, 2019

Marco Solinas wrote:

Hello Tom:
the entry you mention is not the one to which I was referring. The rules prevent me from naming the agency in question.

OIC - apologies. You must have been doing all your BB entries on the same day!

I have long experience of "persuading" non-paying Italian agencies to pay. If you want to know more about how I do it, you could email me privately.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Legal action Jan 12, 2019

Sorry to hear about your situation, Marco. The few times I have risked not being paid (Italian companies and individuals in each case, sadly), I got a lawyer to write me a letter, cost fifty or sixty Euros, and I was always successful in getting them to pay. This is an approach you may want to consider.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
Payment Practices Jan 12, 2019

Did you check them out on Payment Practices before working for them? In any case, you could put a negative rating there, and tell the agency you're doing so, and that Payment Practices is the go-to site for freelancers wanting information on a company's payment record. Might give them something else to think about.

Colleen Roach, PhD

Marco Solinas
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hello Fiona: thank you for both suggestions. I have never heard of Payment Practices. Is it part of ProZ? An external site? Can you help a bit further? Thank you again.

Armine Abelyan
Armine Abelyan
Armenia
Local time: 19:14
English to Armenian
+ ...
Non Payment: official letters Jan 12, 2019

Address official letter to the company, attach all your communication and follow by different ways until you are paid.
I have never worked with Italian agencies but seem like this happen everywhere.
Never give up, it happen that we are even paid after two years.
One more thing, even if your job is not of good quality, you should be paid, the agency may decide how much and prove that and have your agreement. ... See more
Address official letter to the company, attach all your communication and follow by different ways until you are paid.
I have never worked with Italian agencies but seem like this happen everywhere.
Never give up, it happen that we are even paid after two years.
One more thing, even if your job is not of good quality, you should be paid, the agency may decide how much and prove that and have your agreement.

When we take a bad dish in a restaurant, we always pay for that. Why we should accept the fact, that bad translation is not paid at all ?

There are a number of services that offer bad service but still they are paid...for instance medical ...

So go ahead !
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Tom Jan 12, 2019

Tom in London wrote:
I have long experience of "persuading" non-paying Italian agencies to pay. If you want to know more about how I do it, you could email me privately.

Why not share?

Josephine Cassar

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Because Jan 12, 2019

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Why not share?

Because it wouldn't work if I just told the whole world.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English

Payment Practices is an excellent site, it works like the Blue Board but it is independent, nothing to do with Proz. Translators rate agencies they have worked for, leave comments and a rating. Here's the link:

http://www.paymentpractices.net/About.aspx

There is a yearly fee, but it's only about twenty dollars or so, and worth every penny. I can also pass on the detail
... See more
Payment Practices is an excellent site, it works like the Blue Board but it is independent, nothing to do with Proz. Translators rate agencies they have worked for, leave comments and a rating. Here's the link:

http://www.paymentpractices.net/About.aspx

There is a yearly fee, but it's only about twenty dollars or so, and worth every penny. I can also pass on the details of the Italian lawyer (based near Bologna) I have used in the past if you want.
Collapse

Marco Solinas
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thank you Fiona. I will contact Payment Practices. I will hold on with the lawyer for the time being. The agency is not near Bologna; a local lawyer may be more appropriate. I appreciate your help.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Every coin has two sides Jan 13, 2019

According to the agency:
"(Jan 07, 2019) Supplier has given incorrect new banking coordinates twice and payments bounced back twice. In light of correct data reception, payments is on roll. No hiding or risk whatsoever, confirming quality."

Marco Solinas
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sides of the coin Jan 13, 2019

The agency has had my correct banking information for over two months. Despite this, they have not paid, have gone into hiding and are not answering my emails.

[Edited at 2019-01-13 23:58 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non payment from an Italian agency

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »