This year's craziest translation job request
Thread poster: LegalTranslatr2

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:23
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
63 words each Dec 15, 2011

And you can put money on it that there will still be someone posting Kudoz questions on virtually the entire 63 words because translators willing to work for rates and conditions like these are almost certainly going to struggle.

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 22:23
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Are you sure? Dec 15, 2011

I am already not in contact with my Czech colleguas, but I remember that in 90's and and the beggining of 00's, Slovak agencies (agencies headquartered in Slovakia, to avoid of doubts) offered better rates (by about 15%) than Czech agencies or their Slovak branches. Did the situation change so much?

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:
But it is interesting topic, isn't it?

Indeed it is.

As for your question - Why there are translators (even English native-speakers) who are willing to work for prices as low as EUR 6.6 per standard page?

Honestly, I don't know. I don't think that the situation between the two countries of ours is a whole lot different, but the rate you mention is a student (3rd year) price over here. Maybe the translators in Slovakia have submitted to the pressure exerted on translation rates by some (most?) agencies far too easily.
Stano

[Edited at 2011-12-15 12:47 GMT]

Natalia Pedrosa (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
About crazy requests Dec 15, 2011

Hi all,

I have an agency who I worked for some two years ago and has not given me any jobs since.

Well, every three months, they keep asking for my availability, actually to no avail.

But today they got on top of me:

Natalia, will you be free on January the 6th for us to make plans?

What do you think, is this not just plain mockery?

I just answered them should they write to me again I would go straight to the authoriti
... See more
Hi all,

I have an agency who I worked for some two years ago and has not given me any jobs since.

Well, every three months, they keep asking for my availability, actually to no avail.

But today they got on top of me:

What do you think, is this not just plain mockery?

I just answered them should they write to me again I would go straight to the authorities. No reply since.

You find everything on the Internet, rrrrrrrrrrrrreally.

Natalia
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
May well be Dec 15, 2011

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

I am already not in contact with my Czech colleguas, but I remember that in 90's and and the beggining of 00's, Slovak agencies (agencies headquartered in Slovakia, to avoid of doubts) offered better rates (by about 15%) than Czech agencies or their Slovak branches. Did situation change so much?

I know very little about the situation in the past, because 2001 is when I started out while still a university student, so I cannot really comment on this one.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmm... Dec 15, 2011

If you are interested in taking the job, please send your full resume for consideration and your best rate in USD...

Oh yeah, the "best rate" thing. I'd have almost forgotten...

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Job of today Dec 15, 2011

"English -> Polish, 20000 words project due tomorrow
We are looking for a native Polish technical translator expert at translating documentation about PLC machine. (Programmable Logic Controller)
Deadline - Due on 16th December, 2 PM CET
If need be the text can be split between three translators.
**Only Freelancers should apply..No agencies please!
**Limited budget project. Quality as well as pricing would be considered
Please tell me your skype id for quick c
... See more
We are looking for a native Polish technical translator expert at translating documentation about PLC machine. (Programmable Logic Controller)
Deadline - Due on 16th December, 2 PM CET
**Only Freelancers should apply..No agencies please!
Please tell me your skype id for quick communication "

Collapse

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
What's wrong about this? Dec 15, 2011

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

I don't know, but maybe you have become a little oversensitive about this particular outsourcer. I'd be annoyed if they asked me about my availability every second day only to inform me later that the project has been assigned to a different translator. But four times a year? Why not?

In this particular case, perhaps they are expecting a large project at the beginning of January and want to assemble a team to handle it.

My reply would probably have been: "Is there anything on the way, or is it just a general request as usual?"

[Upraveno: 2011-12-15 13:11 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Bah... Dec 15, 2011

Never ever:

Sounds insane.

I would expect someone experienced in the PLC field to know what PLC stands for.

If need be? Why should there be any need to split this? Anybody can handle this, no problem!

Of course, every project has a limited budget. But don't go buy a pound of sausages if you don't have a penny in your pocket. If you do, you're asking for a nice black eye from your butcher.

Please tell me your skype id for quick communication"

And I would be tempted to add: ...so I can spam your Skype every five minutes with my questions about your progress.

Veeery nice!

[Upraveno: 2011-12-15 13:05 GMT]

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
I don't understand at all. Dec 15, 2011

Why would you go to authorities for simple business inquiry?? If they are really bothering you and you are not interested in working with them (you did not write about your (dis)satisfaction with previous cooperation), just blacklist them in settings of your mail client and you will not receive any mails from them.

But I have repeated experience when clients who had been inactive for long suddenly "woke up" and gave me a profitable job.

Politeness costs nothing, I dar
... See more
Why would you go to authorities for simple business inquiry?? If they are really bothering you and you are not interested in working with them (you did not write about your (dis)satisfaction with previous cooperation), just blacklist them in settings of your mail client and you will not receive any mails from them.

But I have repeated experience when clients who had been inactive for long suddenly "woke up" and gave me a profitable job.

Politeness costs nothing, I dare to say.

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

I just answered them should they write to me again I would go straight to the authorities. No reply since.

You find everything on the Internet, rrrrrrrrrrrrreally.

Natalia
Collapse

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hear, hear Dec 15, 2011

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:
Politeness costs nothing, I dare to say.

Couldn't agree more!

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Yeah, the best price Dec 15, 2011

I accept the request in the case of new clients (filling a database) or tenders for large jobs, but when a Slovak agency, who knew my rates well, tried it with about 1500 words, I answered them that I am not running a rat race and if they are interested in my services, they know how much I am charging. I would have accepted if the had contacted with an question if I could provide some rebate for some reason, but I have no interest in racing for each job separately.
Another "funny" situat
... See more
I accept the request in the case of new clients (filling a database) or tenders for large jobs, but when a Slovak agency, who knew my rates well, tried it with about 1500 words, I answered them that I am not running a rat race and if they are interested in my services, they know how much I am charging. I would have accepted if the had contacted with an question if I could provide some rebate for some reason, but I have no interest in racing for each job separately.
Another "funny" situation is when an agency first bothers translators with questions about the best rates and only then submit its offer to an end client (usully to no avail).

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

If you are interested in taking the job, please send your full resume for consideration and your best rate in USD...

Oh yeah, the "best rate" thing. I'd have almost forgotten...

[Edited at 2011-12-15 13:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-15 13:26 GMT]
Collapse

LegalTranslatr2  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This year's craziest translation job request Dec 15, 2011

I received a request this morning for 70,000 words needed in three days! Why don't these companies just spare themselves all the headaches, hassles and stress (and the translators too) and just tell the clients NO! No, I'm sorry, we cannot produce that quantity in that short amount of time. We would need at least x days.

It cannot be the case that they are afraid of losing clients because with the quality produced by constantly hiring random translators to translate impossible quan
... See more
I received a request this morning for 70,000 words needed in three days! Why don't these companies just spare themselves all the headaches, hassles and stress (and the translators too) and just tell the clients NO! No, I'm sorry, we cannot produce that quantity in that short amount of time. We would need at least x days.

It cannot be the case that they are afraid of losing clients because with the quality produced by constantly hiring random translators to translate impossible quantities and then piecing everything together at lightning speed cannot possibly result in any repeat business and cannot possibly be good for the company's reputation and long-term sustainability.
Collapse

Mahin Eftexari
Iran
Local time: 00:53
English to Farsi (Persian)
liked it Dec 15, 2011

For a newcomer like me, it could be a nice job...

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Can't handle that? Dec 15, 2011

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
I received a request this morning for 70,000 words needed in three days!

Please don't tell me you can't handle this and still call yourself a translator, Jeff. Should be piece of cake.

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Actually, I was a part of the team, Dec 15, 2011

which translated 800 standard pages, i.e. 200 000 (two hundred thousand) words for a week. Both me and the colleagues warned the agency that it is impossible to keep quality in such situation and the agency warned its client, but we still got the job. I suppose that it was one of the texts which need to be translated by certain date, although they will not be read by anyone at all. I have already seen such texts. If the end-client and client agrees that under such circumstances a translator can ... See more
which translated 800 standard pages, i.e. 200 000 (two hundred thousand) words for a week. Both me and the colleagues warned the agency that it is impossible to keep quality in such situation and the agency warned its client, but we still got the job. I suppose that it was one of the texts which need to be translated by certain date, although they will not be read by anyone at all. I have already seen such texts. If the end-client and client agrees that under such circumstances a translator can not provide full warranty for a job, then there is non reason not to accept it (preferably at increased rate for emergency work)

Maybe it is also your case.

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

It cannot be the case that they are afraid of losing clients because with the quality produced by constantly hiring random translators to translate impossible quantities and then piecing everything together at lightning speed cannot possibly result in any repeat business and cannot possibly be good for the company's reputation and long-term sustainability.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This year's craziest translation job request

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search