Thread poster: Madeleine van Zanten
Madeleine van Zanten
Madeleine van Zanten
Switzerland
Local time: 23:06
English to French
+ ...
Jul 3, 2009

Dutch to French translation 0.025 EUR/ word from an agency in Luxembourg - did I miss something? Since when are translation rates below proofing or editing rates?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...and your point is? Jul 3, 2009

Sorry, Madeleine, but I fail to see the sense in yet another rant on low prices. Just let it go.

Have nice weekend!

Ralf

Madeleine van Zanten
Madeleine van Zanten
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't see why Jul 3, 2009

Ralf, this is a paying site, not a hobby site, so we might, for instance, expect to find reasonable and decent offers here. For professional translators rates are essential, so I don't see why let it go.

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Because... Jul 3, 2009

madeleine van Zanten wrote:
For professional translators rates are essential, so I don't see why let it go.

... there are already about a gazillion threads on exactly this same subject.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
People do the craziest things... Jul 3, 2009

...and we should simply ignore the matter. If someone wants to ruin his agency with ridiculous rates and jobs only the worst translators can do... just let them!

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Sticky Jul 3, 2009

I think there should be a sticky thread about low rates on the top here, after all it is a popular subject and there is no stopping these threads from popping up like mushrooms. Although the discussion is pointless for most of us, for newcomers there may be some useful information.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ProZ.com reflects the market overall Jul 3, 2009

Madeleine,

Ralf, this is a paying site, not a hobby site,

I'm well aware of that - thanks for reminding me.

ProZ.com reflects the market at large - which comprises a multitude of segments. ProZ.com is a platform where the most varied of interests can meet. It is not an association, nor does ProZ.com guarantee any particular price levels (for good reason, in my opinion).

so we might, for instance, expect to find reasonable and decent offers here. For professional translators rates are essential, so I don't see why let it go.

Up to you, of course - looking at the efforts spent on venting frustration and futile calls for 'action' (folks, you're all running a business - go and get it sorted out...), I believe this energy would be better spent fine-tuning one's market presence and marketing strategy.

my time is nothing for you to worry about Per, as for wasting your time - nobody forces you to read my post or answer to it.

Interesting.
What was the point of your posting, again?

Best regards,
Ralf

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Jul 3, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Up to you, of course - looking at the efforts spent on venting frustration and futile calls for 'action' (folks, you're all running a business - go and get it sorted out...), I believe this energy would be better spent fine-tuning one's market presence and marketing strategy.

Evey industry has its bottom feeders -- complaining about or merely making reference to it, isn't going to make it go away, just as it doesn't help to rant about 'best price' requests.

I find it quite useful actually to see these pitiful offers, it clearly sorts out the wheat from the chaff.

Just put this agency on your own personal blacklist and move on.

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
A little sympathy Jul 3, 2009

if ever this gets posted......

True as it may be that posts about rock-bottom rates are frequent, there is an element in this post that is slightly different and, in my view, has not been addressed in the disparaging comments made to its author.

She will correct me if I am wrong but her point seems to be that if you pay to be a member of a site - this one or any other - you have the right to expect a little protection against the (many) bottom-feeders of this world.
... See more
if ever this gets posted......

True as it may be that posts about rock-bottom rates are frequent, there is an element in this post that is slightly different and, in my view, has not been addressed in the disparaging comments made to its author.

She will correct me if I am wrong but her point seems to be that if you pay to be a member of a site - this one or any other - you have the right to expect a little protection against the (many) bottom-feeders of this world.

The response that the site is only reflecting the laws of the marketplace is - sorry folks - somewhat specious in my eyes. IMO sites like this that give people a place to post their cut-rate jobs are actually CONTRIBUTING to the state of the market, not just reflecting it.

And that is where the danger lies.

That said, I am surely p***ing into the proverbial violin......
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
The ecosystem has many niches Jul 3, 2009

€ 0.025 per word is actually a pretty good rate compared to some that get posted here; I can't see why you have a problem with it. As some colleagues have pointed out in the past, in certain parts of the world it is a matter of national pride to work at such lofty rates, but then I don't suppose the money-grubbing Gnomes of Zurich would understand that.

It's very generous of outsourcers to offer rates like this when they could in many cases get equivalent or better quality for fre
... See more
€ 0.025 per word is actually a pretty good rate compared to some that get posted here; I can't see why you have a problem with it. As some colleagues have pointed out in the past, in certain parts of the world it is a matter of national pride to work at such lofty rates, but then I don't suppose the money-grubbing Gnomes of Zurich would understand that.

It's very generous of outsourcers to offer rates like this when they could in many cases get equivalent or better quality for free using Babelfish or Google's MT. It's charity of sort for those who might otherwise be qualified only for gainful employment as multi-lingual restroom personnel, and here in Germany at least the competition for such jobs is very fierce among those who generously refrain from adding to the burdens of an already overcrowded university system.

If you are in fact a qualified translator, think of these jobs as a generous opportunity to help fellow human beings along the path to financial freedom. Too often we get caught up in the selfish details of making a living and running a business; this can lead to us becoming real capitalist pigs. Working for peanuts can help us develop more sympathy for our fellow primates, though admittedly it seldom leaves enough time for those nice grooming behaviors.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks!! Jul 3, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
If you are in fact a qualified translator, think of these jobs as a generous opportunity to help fellow human beings along the path to financial freedom. Too often we get caught up in the selfish details of making a living and running a business; this can lead to us becoming real capitalist pigs. Working for peanuts can help us develop more sympathy for our fellow primates, though admittedly it seldom leaves enough time for those nice grooming behaviors.

This made me laugh. Thanks a lot Kevin! Have a great weekend!

Madeleine van Zanten
Madeleine van Zanten
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your insight Kevin Jul 3, 2009

(miss capitalist piggy)

[Edited at 2009-07-03 13:10 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Seconded Jul 3, 2009

Taija Salo wrote:
I think there should be a sticky thread about low rates on the top here,

Absolutely, although the subject of stickies has been mentioned before too.
So often, in fact, that there probably ought to be a sticky about it
Given that every other forum in the known universe has stickies, I'm really not sure why this place doesn't.
Perhaps we could just have one sticky, called "Why proz does not have stickies"

Although the discussion is pointless for most of us, for newcomers there may be some useful information.

Not just for newcomers. In that "best rates" thread, I found out that there are some people who actually like to be told the rate, rather than ask what they charge. I know that many of us accept it to a lesser or greater degree, but I had never realised there were some who actually preferred it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did I miss something?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »