Thread poster: Mark Berelekhis
Mark Berelekhis
Mark Berelekhis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:04
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2007

Please keep in mind that I am the least tech savvy person that you're probably ever going to meet.

I downloaded the trial version of Metatexis for its supposed simplicity, and it does seem a lot easier to use. I followed the steps in the "help" section by importing a document, selected the given TM, selected the given TD. However, once I started the translation, Metatexis does not offer me any of the terms that I've already translated.

Perhaps in order for it to do that
... See more
Please keep in mind that I am the least tech savvy person that you're probably ever going to meet.

I downloaded the trial version of Metatexis for its supposed simplicity, and it does seem a lot easier to use. I followed the steps in the "help" section by importing a document, selected the given TM, selected the given TD. However, once I started the translation, Metatexis does not offer me any of the terms that I've already translated.

Perhaps in order for it to do that I need to save the translation unit in some special way, rather than simply save and move on to the next segment? There's no tutorial in Metatexis, and I can't figure out the problem. Please help.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:04
Spanish
+ ...
TM Aug 13, 2007

Hello Mark,

What exactly did you import? The TM? Remember you can't just use an existing TM directly with Metatexis, you need to import it first. You need to create a new Metatexis TM or open an existing one and import the old non-Metatexis TM, it doesn't matter where it is saved. Same with the TDB's.

Also, the Help section is the tutorial.

Good luck,

Claudia

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
English to German
Not terms, but segments are offered Aug 14, 2007

Hello Mark,

you have asked why no term that you have translated is offered when the term occurs again. The answer is simple: Not terms are offered by MetaTexis (and indeed by any other cat tool), but segments (except if the term was added to a terminology database).

E.g. when you have translated the segment "I love butterflies." and later you have the segment "These butterflies are blue." you will not be offered anything by MetaTexis because the two setences have only o
... See more
Hello Mark,

you have asked why no term that you have translated is offered when the term occurs again. The answer is simple: Not terms are offered by MetaTexis (and indeed by any other cat tool), but segments (except if the term was added to a terminology database).

E.g. when you have translated the segment "I love butterflies." and later you have the segment "These butterflies are blue." you will not be offered anything by MetaTexis because the two setences have only one word in common, and this is not enough to make up for a fuzzy match. But when you get to the segment "I love flowers." you will be offered the first sentence as a TM match because two of the three words are identical.

However, the picture is different when you add "butterflies" and its translation to the terminology database. In this case, even if no TM match is found for "These butterflies are blue.", still a terminology will be displayed.

If you are completely new to CAT tools I would recommend to read the introductory chapters of the MetaTexis manual.

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Karin Maack
Karin Maack  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:04
English to German
TM and tdb Sep 1, 2007

Hello Herman,

I have got Meta Texis Pro and I can work fine with the TM and Translation Data Bases I created. But now I would like to import a glossary that was given to me. It is an excel-file. I converted it into a word-file but still don't understand how (or whether) I can import and use it. Is it possible and if so, how can I do it? The MetaTexis Help files didn't help me there - perhaps my fault.

Thank you
Karin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Metatexis - help with utilizing TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »