https://www.proz.com/forum/metatexis_support/115433-help_with_metatexis_please.html&phpv_redirected=1

Help with Metatexis, please
Thread poster: jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

I am very happy with this CAT tool but have very little experience using it.

Today I received an .rtf file to translate and I want to create a new TM for this purpose.

When I launch the start assistant I have to define the type of document. I get a list of the different types of tagged documents, but .rtf is not on it.

According to the manual, in the following step I will be asked if I want to save the RTF text...but before getting to that step I need sol
... See more
I am very happy with this CAT tool but have very little experience using it.

Today I received an .rtf file to translate and I want to create a new TM for this purpose.

When I launch the start assistant I have to define the type of document. I get a list of the different types of tagged documents, but .rtf is not on it.

According to the manual, in the following step I will be asked if I want to save the RTF text...but before getting to that step I need solve this previous one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Lucía
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:40
Russian to English
+ ...
Not a power user, but . . . Sep 16, 2008

Have you tried just clicking "next" until the start assistant closes? I just tried that with an rtf file and it worked fine. Let the automatic type detection do its thing.

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:40
English to German
Normal document type Sep 16, 2008

Hello Lucia,

for RTF test you do not have to define a special document type because RTF file is opened correctyl by Word itself. There is no need for special handlung through MetaTexis. So, you can just go on with the Start Assistant. (Note that usually, the Start Assistant will determine the correct document type automatically.)

Best regards
Hermann

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I tried that, thanks! Sep 16, 2008

Hello,

Thank you both for answering so quickly!

Yes, I did try just clicking "next" and simply starting to work but at least initially I get some of the text boxes on top of others, although it does sort itself out eventually. With your reassurances, I will just proceed this way.

My main concern now is that it doesn't read the box with the title. Maybe I 'll just have to do the title manually and send it in a different format.

Other suggestio
... See more
Hello,

Thank you both for answering so quickly!

Yes, I did try just clicking "next" and simply starting to work but at least initially I get some of the text boxes on top of others, although it does sort itself out eventually. With your reassurances, I will just proceed this way.

My main concern now is that it doesn't read the box with the title. Maybe I 'll just have to do the title manually and send it in a different format.

Other suggestions you've made, Hermann, e.g. regarding the creation of new TMs, have worked just fine. I value your patience very much. And yesterday I read a forum started by Ivana Friis Wilson about extracting TMs (separating them) and your reply there is very useful too.

Thanks again

Lucía
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I keep getting one box on top of the other Sep 16, 2008

I'm sorry, but I keep getting one box on top of the other, it's practically impossible to read.

Any more suggestions?

L

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
One more suggestion Sep 17, 2008

Have you tried saving the document in .doc format, then starting Metatexis?

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I had tried that too before posting this forum Sep 17, 2008

Thanks a million, James. That hadn't worked either. By now I've finished the translation without the tool and sent it to the client, but nonethless I still want to find a solution.

This morning I did some more reading of the manual and could not find a way out.

Best wishes from Montevideo.

Lucía

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Corrupted file? Sep 18, 2008

Possibly you had a file that was corrupted in some way. Have you consulted Metatexis tech support? They were very helpful to me once when I finished a translation and Metatexis refused to clean it up.

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 18, 2008

Hi James,

You're probably right about the file.( I found out, after sending the translation, that the original text was a pdf and somebody transformed it into the file I received).

And you're certainly right about the Metatexis support people, they've been wonderful on other ocasions. I won't bother them this time, I'll simply clear up the file I received and align it with the translation I sent to make a TM.

This Forums section is amazing; I've learnt a
... See more
Hi James,

You're probably right about the file.( I found out, after sending the translation, that the original text was a pdf and somebody transformed it into the file I received).

And you're certainly right about the Metatexis support people, they've been wonderful on other ocasions. I won't bother them this time, I'll simply clear up the file I received and align it with the translation I sent to make a TM.

This Forums section is amazing; I've learnt a great deal from other users of the site. Thanks again.

Lucía

[Edited at 2008-09-18 12:57]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Metatexis, please

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »