In Memsource Web Editor, how do I download the already started files to work offline with them?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:41
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 6, 2018

I have been working on a project on almost half a million words with around 300,000 repetitions, and now remains mostly repetitions. I still need to go through these row by row and confirm, and it would speed up the process considerably if I could download the remaining files and complete the confirmation of the many repetitions locally in another CAT tool (like SDL Trados Studio or MemoQ).

Can I do this myself in Memsource Web Editor or do I need to ask my project manager to do thi
... See more
I have been working on a project on almost half a million words with around 300,000 repetitions, and now remains mostly repetitions. I still need to go through these row by row and confirm, and it would speed up the process considerably if I could download the remaining files and complete the confirmation of the many repetitions locally in another CAT tool (like SDL Trados Studio or MemoQ).

Can I do this myself in Memsource Web Editor or do I need to ask my project manager to do this for me?

Now when I press Ctrl+F1 to insert the repetitions from the TM hits, often it takes a long time to go from row to row (for some files only). So I loose time when working in the Web Editor because of this when there is a time delay for each segment I go to. Because there are 300,000 repetitions, this would make a big difference if I could work locally from now until finished.

Or wouldn't the absolutely optimal be to use Memsource Desktop Editor and connect to the same online TM I use now? Otherwise I risk discrepancies when exporting the TM to TMX, which could be significant for 300,000 repetitions.

I think I wouldn't get this time lag when going from segment to segment when I use the Memsource Desktop Editor instead, even if I am connected to the same online TM.

[Edited at 2018-01-06 17:29 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:41
Chinese to English
+ ...
Depends Jan 6, 2018

Do you have access to the project management screen for linguists? (Where you choose to mark files as accepted or completed) If you do, the easiest thing would be to download the bilingual files from there and work with them.

Otherwise, export options are available at Document > Export to Bilingual MXMLIFF, available from the menu bar at the top.

Now here's the caveat - I believe the project owner has the ability to disable this. You are quite correct that using the des
... See more
Do you have access to the project management screen for linguists? (Where you choose to mark files as accepted or completed) If you do, the easiest thing would be to download the bilingual files from there and work with them.

Otherwise, export options are available at Document > Export to Bilingual MXMLIFF, available from the menu bar at the top.

Now here's the caveat - I believe the project owner has the ability to disable this. You are quite correct that using the desktop editor is immeasurably faster than the web editor; however, there exist some clients that for some unfathomable reasonable just won't let you use it. So if the option is greyed out, you're shot out of luck and you're going to have to convince the client to enable it.
Collapse

Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:41
English to Czech
+ ...
From Memsource Support Jan 7, 2018

Hi,
With such huge files, the desktop Memsource Editor will be definitely faster and user-friendlier.
As explained by Lincoln, unless your project manager has disabled the option to download bilingual content from your project, you will find "bilingual MXLIFF" under Download in your project.
If you select multiple files, you will download a single MXLIFF containing all these files.
In the editor, you will need to make sure you are correctly logged in - the indicators in t
... See more
Hi,
With such huge files, the desktop Memsource Editor will be definitely faster and user-friendlier.
As explained by Lincoln, unless your project manager has disabled the option to download bilingual content from your project, you will find "bilingual MXLIFF" under Download in your project.
If you select multiple files, you will download a single MXLIFF containing all these files.
In the editor, you will need to make sure you are correctly logged in - the indicators in the bottom right corner must be green.
Here is a short video providing an introduction to the use of the desktop editor: https://youtu.be/9RTSn4WvQl8.
Collapse

Rachel Kaufman

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

In Memsource Web Editor, how do I download the already started files to work offline with them?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »