Thread poster: Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:24
German to English
Apr 17, 2013

Hi
been seeing the ad for memsource cloud and watched the demo, looks good, but now the million euro question - is it good?
are there LSPs who actually use it? is it worth the investment? is it safe?
anybody have any experience with it? I would like to hear what you think about it
thanks a lot
Heather

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Memsource review Apr 17, 2013

I've been using it on and off for several months now. It's not my favourite tool, but one of my regular agencies uses it for big projects involving several translators, to take advantage of real-time updating of a shared TM.

I reviewed it in my blog last November, and since then several features have been improved as you'll see if you
... See more
I've been using it on and off for several months now. It's not my favourite tool, but one of my regular agencies uses it for big projects involving several translators, to take advantage of real-time updating of a shared TM.

I reviewed it in my blog last November, and since then several features have been improved as you'll see if you read the comments:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/11/09/memsource/

You can also check out other reviews here on Proz:
http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/memsource_cloud/40

HTH,
Emma
Collapse

Heather McCrae
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Emma Apr 17, 2013

many thanks, will check it out
happy translating!
Heather

sbct
sbct  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
Spanish to English
Memsource review Apr 18, 2013

Hi
We've been using it as an agency for about a year now for both in-house and external translations and we find it a really good tool. It's intuitive and can be used across a variety of platforms. The external translators that use it have all bar one felt that it added to their working experience. Would certainly recommend it.
HTH
Cherie, SBC Translations

septima
septima
A question Apr 18, 2013

I have one (genuine) question in this regard: Do those who use cloud services like this inform their clients of this fact upfront, including the potential security-confidentiality risks? Or is it assumed that in today's world this is now just a standard procedure, which it's not necessary to mention (like using email), as a reasonable person could be expected to assume its use?

I'm actually interested in this from the legal point of view, as, in light of some other recent threads, I
... See more
I have one (genuine) question in this regard: Do those who use cloud services like this inform their clients of this fact upfront, including the potential security-confidentiality risks? Or is it assumed that in today's world this is now just a standard procedure, which it's not necessary to mention (like using email), as a reasonable person could be expected to assume its use?

I'm actually interested in this from the legal point of view, as, in light of some other recent threads, I'm trying to make a thorough legal analysis of the various types of liability involved in the translator-client relationship. I'm wondering, were a breach of confidentiality to occur, as we have seen with data stored on cloud servers in the past, how a liability case might play out.

Thanks a lot, s

[Edited at 2013-04-18 12:12 GMT]
Collapse

Memsource Apr 18, 2013

Hi Heather,
I'm the managing partner of a translation company based in Italy and we are also Memsource users both for our in-house translators and the freelancers working with us from remote.
We find it useful and powerful because it is easy to manage for Project Managers and allows them to prepare translation project completely so when the translator receives the notification only has to log in and translate.
As a translator, you receive a notification by e-mail and access t
... See more
Hi Heather,
I'm the managing partner of a translation company based in Italy and we are also Memsource users both for our in-house translators and the freelancers working with us from remote.
We find it useful and powerful because it is easy to manage for Project Managers and allows them to prepare translation project completely so when the translator receives the notification only has to log in and translate.
As a translator, you receive a notification by e-mail and access the project on the cloud, where also tb, tm, mt and reference files are available.
It is simple, it is fast, it is productive.
Feel free to ask more information out of our experience.
Kindest regards,
Manuele
Collapse

Heather McCrae
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
safety issues? Apr 18, 2013

I am a bit sceptical about the security involved, I've heard stuff that means essentially everything in the cloud is even less secure than simply accessing the internet. That would make it a lot easier for information to be stolen/copied/etc.
legal issues are a problem too, I agree.
well, looking forward to hearing more opinions
thanks a lot
Heather

DavidCanek
DavidCanek
English to Czech
Security Apr 22, 2013

heathermccrae wrote:

I am a bit sceptical about the security involved, I've heard stuff that means essentially everything in the cloud is even less secure than simply accessing the internet.
Heather

Heather,

Thanks for raising this issue. Security is important. Using MemSource Cloud is more secure than "simply accessing the internet" because when you access MemSource Cloud, all communication between your web browser and MemSource Cloud servers is encrypted. When you access most web pages, they are not encrypted. Also, when you use email to send/receive translation jobs, it can be that the communication is not very secure (especially if not encrypted).

For most translation companies, using a cloud-based translation environment is a boost in security because all information is protected by username and password and communication is encrypted.

Here is the MemSource Security Statement:
http://wiki.memsource.com/wiki/Security_Statement

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
What means "encryption" really? Apr 22, 2013

DavidCanek wrote:

all communication between your web browser and MemSource Cloud servers is encrypted.

The sticking point is: What do those servers? Can they decrypt your stuff? If there is no end-to-end encryption between you and your client, it is just like trusting in an anonymous messenger.

Just think of Linguee-like translation services. Where do they get their input from? Do they really monitor an Internet cable?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:24
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Copying and pasting segments/sentences in memsource cloud Aug 19, 2013

I don't know if this is the right forum, but how do you copy and paste a segment/sentence in memsource cloud?

I tried it, but to no avail.

Heather McCrae
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
start a new topic to get an answer Aug 19, 2013

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

I don't know if this is the right forum, but how do you copy and paste a segment/sentence in memsource cloud?

Hi and konnichiwa!
it would be better to start a new topic in the forum for technical support, I doubt if anyone else but me will read this post as you were just replying to my post
have a read in the technical support forum first as you may find an answer, so do a search first
or go to:
http://support.memsource.com/

hope that helps!
Heather

Heather McCrae
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
a useful link? Aug 19, 2013

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

just found this, should help?

http://support.memsource.com/topic/how-to-select-just-a-section-of-a-text-in-tm-search-results-in-memsource-editor

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:24
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
. Aug 19, 2013

Heather McCrae wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

just found this, should help?

http://support.memsource.com/topic/how-to-select-just-a-section-of-a-text-in-tm-search-results-in-memsource-editor

Hello Heather,

Thanks for the tip.
I'll refer to the links you provided.

Faye J. Vasiliadis
Faye J. Vasiliadis
Member (2016)
Greek to English
+ ...
Charges Feb 14, 2014

I don't like it at all. For me, this is just another way for companies to pay translators less money. Can anyone share their percentages? For example:
New 100%
50-74% 100%
75-84% 65%
85-94% 45%
95-99% 30%
100% 20%
Repetitions 20%

David Haglund
David Haglund  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
Progress report/wordcount for a multi-file project Nov 5, 2015

Among the things that really bug me is that is seems to be impossible to get a progress report. I currently have a project with 60+ smaller files, and all I get are progress bars that indicate a percentage for the individual files. There is a difference between 25% of 150 words and 25% of 2500 words... Sure, if I open the files individually, I get a status report regarding how many word there are left to translate, but I cannopt get this for the whole prjoect.

Does anyone have a wo
... See more
Among the things that really bug me is that is seems to be impossible to get a progress report. I currently have a project with 60+ smaller files, and all I get are progress bars that indicate a percentage for the individual files. There is a difference between 25% of 150 words and 25% of 2500 words... Sure, if I open the files individually, I get a status report regarding how many word there are left to translate, but I cannopt get this for the whole prjoect.

Does anyone have a workaround? This is the cloud version btw.

This feels like a pretty basic feature for a CAT tool.

[Redigerad 2015-11-05 12:03 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

memsource cloud - who uses it?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »