Working with Trados projects on MateCat
Thread poster: Luiz Almeida
Luiz Almeida
Luiz Almeida
Brazil
Local time: 21:07
English to Portuguese
Jul 17, 2015

Hi there, everyone. Some time ago, I lost the opportunity to get some jobs because I didn't have Trados, and it's still too expensive for me right now.

However, I just found out about MateCat, and sort of fell in love with it. I tried to open SDLXIFF files, and it opened. I also tried to put together three files that came with a project, the pdf and two .itd and it even recognized the parts of the file that had already been marked as translated by other translators that worked on th
... See more
Hi there, everyone. Some time ago, I lost the opportunity to get some jobs because I didn't have Trados, and it's still too expensive for me right now.

However, I just found out about MateCat, and sort of fell in love with it. I tried to open SDLXIFF files, and it opened. I also tried to put together three files that came with a project, the pdf and two .itd and it even recognized the parts of the file that had already been marked as translated by other translators that worked on the file.

My question is: is there anything I can't do on MateCat, in a way that makes it impossible for me to work with Trados files?

Like, if the client asks about the unclean file, I can just export in SDLXIFF, and if they ask the clean file, I can just download it. Is there anything that would prevent me from getting jobs?

Thanks a lot.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:07
English to Thai
+ ...
My reverse order Jul 18, 2015

LH Almeida wrote:

Like, if the client asks about the unclean file, I can just export in SDLXIFF, and if they ask the clean file, I can just download it. Is there anything that would prevent me from getting jobs?

Thanks a lot.

I may not reply to your issue but I met the online MateCat job while I prefer Trados. I just learnt from you that Trados and MateCat are mostly compatible.

Thanks.

Soonthon L.

Antonio F. L (X)
Antonio F. L (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Limits? Jul 18, 2015

I have not experience with MateCat, but think some clients will not like you to use their documents on the cloud. Agencies using Trados will also often send you "packages" and they will want you to send them back "return packages", probably that's not compatible with either with MateCat (although I really don't know about this).

MateCat Support
MateCat Support
Italy
SDLXIFF files Aug 27, 2015

LH Almeida wrote:

My question is: is there anything I can't do on MateCat, in a way that makes it impossible for me to work with Trados files?

Hi,

I confirm you that with MateCat you can import and export SDLXIFF files.

[Edited at 2015-08-27 08:40 GMT]

MateCat Support
MateCat Support
Italy
Cloud and privacy Aug 27, 2015

Antonio F. Lera wrote:

I have not experience with MateCat, but think some clients will not like you to use their documents on the cloud.

The documents are online in a dedicated server, so technically it is not a cloud with shared and distributed servers.
Having said that, you can create a Private TM associated to the document so that your privacy and confidentiality are guaranteed both technically and legally.

[Edited at 2015-08-27 08:44 GMT]

MateCat Support
MateCat Support
Italy
Trados packages Aug 27, 2015

Antonio F. Lera wrote:

Agencies using Trados will also often send you "packages" and they will want you to send them back "return packages", probably that's not compatible with either with MateCat (although I really don't know about this).

We don't support directly Trados packages, but you can import in MateCat the SDLXLIFF and the TMX files which are inside the Trados package, and once you have finished the translation you can export them.

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
How do I do that? Mar 11, 2021

MateCat Support wrote:

Antonio F. Lera wrote:

Agencies using Trados will also often send you "packages" and they will want you to send them back "return packages", probably that's not compatible with either with MateCat (although I really don't know about this).

We don't support directly Trados packages, but you can import in MateCat the SDLXLIFF and the TMX files which are inside the Trados package, and once you have finished the translation you can export them.

How exactly do I do that? Whenever I tried to upload a SDLXLIFF I always got an error message (sth like "this format is not supported"). So could you please help?

And if I create a private TM, how would that work with a TM from a Trados package that needs to be used?

Thank you!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Working with Trados projects on MateCat

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »