Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How important is having a website in the translation industry?
Thread poster: vieleFragen
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Website X5 May 14, 2010

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:
Can anybody recomend me a website builder? I would like to have one and know nothing regarding this matter.
Ligia Dias Costa

Ligia,

I built mine with Website X5 from http://www.websitex5.com/en/ , and still don't know a thing about building sites. I possibly used some 30% or less of the program's capabilities, but it's easy to maintain, and overall cheaper than hiring someone else to do it.

The URL is http://www.lamensdorf.com.br

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
#14 (#13 remains open) May 14, 2010

ostom wrote:

Based on the discussions above and my own experience I have compiled 13 reasons why a translator needs his website running.

Website means to have your own website with a domain of your own, like www.yyyyyy.net

13. Please add your reason

[Edited at 2008-07-25 06:14]

14. To tell prospects things about your work you are tired of explaining over and over again. Just give them the specific link for the page where you've explained it.

My examples:

a) I'm tired of clients who want something translated into "Portuguese", and don't specify Brazilian or European. So I give them an explanation: http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/ptxbr.html

b) I'm tired of prospects who have a video to translate, and have no idea on how it works nor what should/can be done about it. Answers at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/guide.html
A more practical guide at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/video101.html

c) People need info on sworn translations in Brazil. Answers at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/faqs.html

d) Fellow translators ask me for help on translating audio/video files. Answers at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/audio_-_en.html

e) A company shot a video from a presentation, and wants to assign me a "mission: impossible" task after they botched it up in recording. Lessons for next time (if there is one):
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/palestras_br-1.html

Now try to imagine how many times I had to write all that, piecemeal, but over and over again. I guess every translator has their specialties, or at least information that would be useful to their clients and prospects. Bottom line is that this saves a lot of time.

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 03:37
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Decent website may have positive effect on your business May 14, 2010

From all the posts I have read on the topic, and bearing in mind my experience, I can just add that having your proz.com profile polished and updated brings you more traffic than AdWords. Namely, I have received more traffic from proz.com referrals than from direct search on google.com (which is why I stopped advertizing).

I absolutely agree that a website adds to your credibility and sends the message to the world that you are a dedicated professional. Therefore, you should build o
... See more
From all the posts I have read on the topic, and bearing in mind my experience, I can just add that having your proz.com profile polished and updated brings you more traffic than AdWords. Namely, I have received more traffic from proz.com referrals than from direct search on google.com (which is why I stopped advertizing).

I absolutely agree that a website adds to your credibility and sends the message to the world that you are a dedicated professional. Therefore, you should build one or have one built for you - but first, be sure what exactly you want to achieve with it. If it's more work - oh my! Then you should either hire a SEO optimizer or start seriously studying various techniques of doing it on your own (thus, leaving yourself very little time to translate).

Otherwise, if you need to explain what you do to the prospective clients or whoever your target group is - build a simple, clearly worded website and don't worry about how much traffic you get from it, because it rarely translates into actual work.

NB: no website is better than a lousy one (which may scare your potential customers off!)
Collapse

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 07:07
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
SEO May 31, 2010

Moreover if you have done good SEO(search Engine Optimization ) of your website. This will help you to get more clients through Search engine.

Regards
Shadab

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try to find a balance Aug 15, 2012

Having a website is basically useful for a freelancer to promote marketing effects. Merely having one is not enough, however, we need to do more about the marketing activities. This means we need to put in some extra money, more or less, so that our pages that consumed a lot time and efforts and money to catch the eyeballs of the potential clients. We really have to find out the balance point in there. That's the key!

vieleFragen wrote:

this has turned into an interesting thread, some of the responses I hadn't seen, yet!:-)

I've been learning about "the web" mostly about internet marketing (web analytics and search engine optimization) for (almost) 2 years, now as I want to work in that industry after college. And specialization (especially in a field you're passionate about) is always a good idea..so I've been looking into the 'language industry' and have also been wondering if translators need internet marketing, so-to-speak.

For most businesses search engine rankings are extremely useful, but for some they're almost useless - in some fields (I think lawyers would be such a profession) people dont go to search engines to find who they need, but they ask friends or people they know ("word-of-mouth").

And I've been wondering if search engine rankings were important/helpful to translators or not (or if translation was one of the industries, where nobody really goes to a search engine and types in 'french to English translator', but preferred to get recommendations from people they know or from industry sites such as proZ).

Maybe somebody of you knows someone who does have a website with decent traffic from google & co? who are getting a lot of clients that way? or is it useless to them?

thanks!

P.S.: I think somebody used the word 'SEO'ers' in a negative way..or well not in a negative way but in the same phrase with spammers. Many people think 'SEO' is something bad and that they are trying to 'trick' the search engines, but search engine optimization is an absolutely legit profession, but of course there are alwaysa few bad people...

I feel it's similar to the translation industry. Imagine some people work with translators who sell their services for 1 cent/ word and thus produce bad quality (nobody's going to deliver great translation services for that rate, right?) translations. In the end those people will think "translators are all bad. they all suck!", when it's definitely not true for all translators!

Something similar happened to SEO, because people calling themselves SEOs would call up small companies and sell them "search engine listings" - they often offer to list them in 700 directories and place them at 180 different search engines and charge 500 bucks (random example) for it.

However, the problem with this is that Google has like 70% of the search volume (in Germany and other European countries it's over 90%..). And Google, Yahoo and MSN have like...not sure what the exact stats are right now, but it's VERY close to a 100 percent...so being listed at a million search engines won't help the business owner if these search engines don't send any traffic....after all those fly-by-night SEOs only promised to 'list' their sites, not to get them a high ranking (and like somebody said anything, but a top10..or top20 ranking is usually worthless).

So that's a common scheme that gives the 'SEO' industry a black eye when it doesn't deserve it, at all. It's very similar if somebody said 'translators all suck, they just deliver bad quality work' when that's only true for a subset of translators.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How important is having a website in the translation industry?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »