The ethics of sample translations/Marketing yourself
Thread poster: Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 04:29
French to English
Jan 15, 2003

I am just getting started and have some questions about sample translations. The fact is that when agencies don\'t have a specific job in mind and are just looking to expand their translator pool, they often ask for a \"CV\" and samples. I agree with some other postings on the site I\'ve seen that say we are service providers NOT job applicants, and after looking around on some sites including Monster, where freelancers\' concerns are addressed, I think I need a little \"marketing package\" some... See more
I am just getting started and have some questions about sample translations. The fact is that when agencies don\'t have a specific job in mind and are just looking to expand their translator pool, they often ask for a \"CV\" and samples. I agree with some other postings on the site I\'ve seen that say we are service providers NOT job applicants, and after looking around on some sites including Monster, where freelancers\' concerns are addressed, I think I need a little \"marketing package\" somewhere between a personal CV and a full blown marketing campaign that I could send to agencies who request that. I was thinking of a one sheet CV-ish document (sort of like the ProZ translator pages) and a one page \"portfolio sheet\" with some samples. My main question is this...is it OK to use short (50 word for example) totally anonymous and decontextualized bits from past jobs without asking permission from the original customer? I want to put three short and very different bits on my portfolio sheet. I welcome any advice on this topic! Thanks!
[addsig]
Collapse

Rubén de la Fuente
Rubén de la Fuente  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
it depends Jan 15, 2003

I think it really depends on the kind of information you are disclosing. If it doesn\'t harm your customers interests (say, a piece of a standard business agreement in which the customer\'s details are not shown), it shouldn\'t bother any one. If you feel unsure about it, it wouldn\'t be a bad idea to check with your customers whether they have a problem with it or not. One can never be too careful, but on the other hand there\'s lot of instances in which our personal data are used for commercia... See more
I think it really depends on the kind of information you are disclosing. If it doesn\'t harm your customers interests (say, a piece of a standard business agreement in which the customer\'s details are not shown), it shouldn\'t bother any one. If you feel unsure about it, it wouldn\'t be a bad idea to check with your customers whether they have a problem with it or not. One can never be too careful, but on the other hand there\'s lot of instances in which our personal data are used for commercial purposes without our permission.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-15 16:26]
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other sources for samples to your portfolio Jan 15, 2003

Instead of excerpts from past jobs, you could look for similar texts from the public domain and translate them to display in your portfolio.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hepinize tesekkur ederim! Thanks all! Jan 16, 2003

Thanks Ruben, GoodWords, and Tayfun (Turkiye\'de dort yil kaldim). I also received some e-mails through my profile from others giving advice. I think the public domain is key. For example, a paragraph that was already published in a journal 2 years ago seems pretty safe. I agree that a test from the agency is best, but I have been surprised at the number of \"send a sample\" requests I have seen lately, and I just want to be ready for those requests!! Thanks again!!
[addsig]

Cidália Martins (X)
Cidália Martins (X)
English
+ ...
Samples Jan 18, 2003

I\'m beginning to put together a portfolio and I also worried about the issue of confidentiality until I realized that a lot of the work I did was for public distribution (newsletters, teaching materials, etc.) so there was no problem with using those samples.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The ethics of sample translations/Marketing yourself

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »