Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Choice of photo to accompany profile - help or harm?
Thread poster: CMJ_Trans (X)
Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
English to Italian
+ ...
You are right! Jun 7, 2007

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:

Antonella

Antonella?

Maria Antonietta is my first 'official' name, but nobody uses it, too long. Antonella is my second name, but my friends call me Anto - and my brother Antò:). I know, it's a mess...

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
I use Proz mainly for networking and fun Jun 7, 2007

... and maybe only 10% for finding jobs. I never really thought about what clients will think when they see my picture, nor do I really care.
I'm here to interact with colleagues, and, as in real life, I prefer to see the face of those I'm talking to, and I appreciate that there may be others who may feel the same.
That's all!

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
What's unprofessional about symbols and well chosen pseudonyms? Jun 9, 2007

Well, I'm here to find work, to have fun, to interact with colleagues and to spread my name. All works well.

Tuliparola is not a pseudonym like an alias in chatrooms.
It is more like a nom de plum and became some kind of trademark.
It is very professional, because quite a few direct clients (companies)and renowned agencies contact me via my profile.
Henry Hinds wrote:
Many of the images I see, whether portraits, avatars, pets, kids, symbols, and even models, I suspect, appear totally unprofessional, and that includes the use of pseudonyms and anonymity.
But Henry, just wait a moment I can't see your face in all his glory. Maybe for some potential clients you rather look suspicious than professional. Sunglasses plus full beard = you got to hide something.;-)

I like to see photos (or meaningful symbols) here, because we have enough faceless items in the virtual world and I guess it is easier for a client to choose someone.
Kind regards
Steffi

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Marketing Jun 9, 2007

Tuliparola wrote:

Well, I'm here to find work, to have fun, to interact with colleagues and to spread my name. All works well.
Tuliparola is not a pseudonym like an alias in chatrooms.
It is more like a nom de plum and became some kind of trademark.
It is very professional, because quite a few direct clients (companies)and renowned agencies contact me via my profile.
Steffi

Hi Steffi

Couldn't agree more. Those are the reasons.

To be honest, I chose to retain the "name" because I purchased the domain www.textklick.com long before I joined Proz.

As for photos, yours lack consistency, which is theoretically bad marketing. But they get prettier by the minute and are a regular breath of fresh air

As for mine? Am I sat at my desk giving matters some serious thought? Or am I at a Powwow somewhere, involved in stimulating discourse with great friends at an advanced hour in the morning? Who will ever know? To be quite honest, I can't remember.

Liebe Grüsse
Chris

[Edited at 2007-06-09 19:16]

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 04:54
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
:) Jun 9, 2007

I think that picture on profile does not play an important role. I think that priorities of the client are different for translation - was it a dating agency and if it was a profile, then yes, it is really important

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Some kind of dating Jun 10, 2007

MariusV wrote:
that priorities of the client are different for translation - was it a dating agency and if it was a profile, then yes, it is really important

Meeting a client via internet is some kind of dating. But if you prefer clients who are preferring blind dates then I agree that a photo would become redundant.

Hi Chris: Danke für die Blumen! (can't find that on leo or dic cc)
What's better: behind the desktop or in front of a cool Pilsner? It all depends.
A portrait with a phone could appear somewhat forced. "Look I'm working very, very hard! I'm an eager beaver, always available."
Leisure time environment on the beach or with a dog can be very convincing if there is some kind of charisma. "Look I know how to relax, in order to go back to work with lots of energy."

I really appreciate every feedback of my colleagues on my profile and I'm glad to get such a charming one like that of Chris.:-)

RosettaT
RosettaT  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
From a project manager's point of view... Jun 15, 2007

...a picture is a nice way to form a more well-rounded picture in one's mind about a freelancer.

Now that I think about it, the effect (if any) might be most relevant for repeat business. When I get an assignment from a client and wonder who would be a good match, having a picture of a suitable flash up in my mind certainly helps.

I would therefore also agree with a number of other posters that a 'professional' picture, in a loose sense, would be best. This does not at
... See more
...a picture is a nice way to form a more well-rounded picture in one's mind about a freelancer.

Now that I think about it, the effect (if any) might be most relevant for repeat business. When I get an assignment from a client and wonder who would be a good match, having a picture of a suitable flash up in my mind certainly helps.

I would therefore also agree with a number of other posters that a 'professional' picture, in a loose sense, would be best. This does not at all have to be a stiff picture in a business suit, but - for me at least - should be a picture that at least includes the person, with a small number of tastefully arranged pets, friends or family members very much optional.
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
The book and its cover Jun 15, 2007

Everyone knows you can't judge a book by its cover. But you still have to see the thing to decide if its too heavy to tote home or interesting enough to take the time to skim a few pages.

For the marketing aspect, I think it's important to be able to differentiate yourself from all the other translators in your language pairs. When looking at one profile after another, a photo helps distinguish each one. I personally have a mental block when it comes to names (and birthdays) but I c
... See more
Everyone knows you can't judge a book by its cover. But you still have to see the thing to decide if its too heavy to tote home or interesting enough to take the time to skim a few pages.

For the marketing aspect, I think it's important to be able to differentiate yourself from all the other translators in your language pairs. When looking at one profile after another, a photo helps distinguish each one. I personally have a mental block when it comes to names (and birthdays) but I can remember every face.

As for my choice in photo, I had a limited number of digital photos, and this was the only one I liked (BTW, I was looking at my adorable puppy).
I also think that the standard, straight business headshot is very ho-hum and lacks personality. I prefer to tell something about myself and my personality through these images.

However, it's true that I have received some criticisms that my choice in photo does not look professional and even looks like it comes from a magazine. Though I'm extremely flattered, I'm also outraged that one can't look nice without appearing unprofessional.

I haven't changed it though because I use proz mostly to connect with colleagues, and I think in the faceless internet, it's always nice to see who you're talking to.

For my name choice, at the beginning, I started using my first two initials to avoid pranks phone calls from the phone book. Then it seemed like the perfect choice as a professional name and is officially declared as a 'company' name with the French URSSAF.

-Interesting debate CMJ Trans ---- but you're out of luck, I know what you look like!!!

[Edited at 2007-06-15 16:00]
Collapse

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
one said Jun 20, 2007

My second elder sister once said, "don't put your photo on the MSN, that make you older, keep your image behind the internet, let people exert imagination for you".

She was somehow speaking in a harsh tone, was I angry?

I didn't. I know I am not a beautiful lady compared with movie stars, I am average people, I am willing to showcase myself straightforward, the portrait embodies a real human being in the net, why don't I display a picture?

[Edited at 2007-06-20
... See more
My second elder sister once said, "don't put your photo on the MSN, that make you older, keep your image behind the internet, let people exert imagination for you".

She was somehow speaking in a harsh tone, was I angry?

I didn't. I know I am not a beautiful lady compared with movie stars, I am average people, I am willing to showcase myself straightforward, the portrait embodies a real human being in the net, why don't I display a picture?

[Edited at 2007-06-20 11:14]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choice of photo to accompany profile - help or harm?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »