https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/305368-bilingual_or_multilingual_blogging.html&phpv_redirected=1

Bilingual or multilingual blogging
Thread poster: Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:42
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2016

Some months ago I started blogging on cultural, literary and translation topics. If you wanna have a look you are welcome. For the time being, my blog is in Spanish only.

From time to time I fancy about blogging in other languages... but the very same contents. In a similar way as, say, you can have a ProZ or LinkedIn profile localized in several languages.

I know people who run two or three different blogs, about di
... See more
Some months ago I started blogging on cultural, literary and translation topics. If you wanna have a look you are welcome. For the time being, my blog is in Spanish only.

From time to time I fancy about blogging in other languages... but the very same contents. In a similar way as, say, you can have a ProZ or LinkedIn profile localized in several languages.

I know people who run two or three different blogs, about different topics and sometimes in different languages each blog. Instinctively I feel that blogging in two or three languages at the same time (on the very same entry or page) is distracting, repealing, distressing for readers. So it should be advisable to keep separate blogs for each language. But... maybe coordinating both blog feeds...?

Have you heard about experiences in bilingual or multilingual blogging? (I mean, "really bilingual" blogs, and not "divorced" entities).
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Quality issues? Aug 9, 2016

Fabio Descalzi wrote:

From time to time I fancy about blogging in other languages... but the very same contents.

It's all about marketing, I suppose, rather than just chatting? In which case, only perfection will have the desired result; and imperfection will have a negative result. I don't know about your other languages. but it will be expensive for you to blog in English. You'd need to pay for a proofreader.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:42
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not chatting, and not a question about quality Aug 9, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

It's all about marketing, (...) You'd need to pay for a proofreader.

Thanks, Sheila, for replying.

My question is not about "translation quality", of course the contents must be perfect (and written/translated by more than one person).

The question is about the technicalities / usefulness / viability of blogging in two or more languages. And with "blogging" I do not mean "just chatting", but interesting content, quality-oriented per se. Only that more interactive than a plain website.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:12
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Blogs in my understanding... Aug 9, 2016

... are more like personal diaries and are highly individualistic stuff. Of course, there are blogs and blogs, and what you have in mind (with content generated by several writers in addition to you) may be able to squeeze in somehow into the definition of blogs, but it appears to me that your idea fits more into the concept of online magazines in different languages.

My feeling is, such an effort would be too demanding of your time and would leave you with little time for your main
... See more
... are more like personal diaries and are highly individualistic stuff. Of course, there are blogs and blogs, and what you have in mind (with content generated by several writers in addition to you) may be able to squeeze in somehow into the definition of blogs, but it appears to me that your idea fits more into the concept of online magazines in different languages.

My feeling is, such an effort would be too demanding of your time and would leave you with little time for your main activity, which is translation. As such, any such venture would be counter-productive as it would eat into your earning time as a translator. It would make sense only if it turns out to be your main income generator, in which case you would become a hobbyist translator and a full time blogger or a multi-lingual magazine editor!

As a translator, I personally wouldn't fancy such a turn of events, preferring instead to be more of a translator than anything else.
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Multilingual Plugin Aug 9, 2016

Are you using Wordpress? I recently helped an associate set up a bilingual website with the use of the Polylang plugin, which you can view here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/polylang/

It takes some time to understand how to use it, but I found it pretty intuitive and easy to experiment with.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual or multilingual blogging

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »