24 yrs girl from Sofia needs help with finding content writing projects
Thread poster: Stelsita
Stelsita
Stelsita
Bulgaria
Sep 6, 2015

Hello folks,

My name is Stella. I am 24 years girl from Sofia, Bulgaria. I have been working as a freelancer for just 2 years. My speciality is to write content in Bulgarian language. I am not a sworn translator and have no experience in translating, but I can get almost any translating job from English to Bulgarian done.

Can you guys recommend me crowd agencies which I can work for and offer my content creating services in Bulgarian?

Thank you in advance!

Ganesh Bhat
Ganesh Bhat  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:21
English to Kannada
+ ...
Improve your profile here Sep 6, 2015

Are you sure you can translate anything from English to Bulgarian? Can you work for any domain? Cos translation and copy-writing are not similar.

You should first try and add everything to your profile. From contact details to experiences. Make everything appear to public view. Two years in copy-writing is not a very significant experience. But that is not less to start with either. Lot of agencies search this site and profiles over here. If they find the right person in you, you do
... See more
Are you sure you can translate anything from English to Bulgarian? Can you work for any domain? Cos translation and copy-writing are not similar.

You should first try and add everything to your profile. From contact details to experiences. Make everything appear to public view. Two years in copy-writing is not a very significant experience. But that is not less to start with either. Lot of agencies search this site and profiles over here. If they find the right person in you, you don't have to search for crowd agencies elsewhere.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Really? Sep 6, 2015

Stelsita wrote:
have no experience in translating, but I can get almost any translating job from English to Bulgarian done.

I don't really see how the one can follow from the other. Translating, as has been said, is not the same as copy-writing. Some people manage to become translators through gaining experience as they go along, without qualifications, but they generally have to stick to very general content to start with.

I don't think the agencies most of us know would provide copy-writing services.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
German to English
+ ...
Copywriting through Proz Sep 6, 2015

Copywriting is an option in the list of services you can offer (the last one) when you fill out your Proz profile information. Most here are translators/interpreters, but you can try that and perhaps adjust your settings to include having a notification sent to you when someone is looking for a copywriter in Bulgarian. I must admit I have no personal experience on how effective that might be for a copywriter -- you have to try it to find out.

Apart from that, I have sometimes come a
... See more
Copywriting is an option in the list of services you can offer (the last one) when you fill out your Proz profile information. Most here are translators/interpreters, but you can try that and perhaps adjust your settings to include having a notification sent to you when someone is looking for a copywriter in Bulgarian. I must admit I have no personal experience on how effective that might be for a copywriter -- you have to try it to find out.

Apart from that, I have sometimes come across translation agencies that also offer copywriting services, but none of the ones I work with right now do. You may just try using Google to identify some. I just did a quick search using "copywriting services" and got a lot of hits, but you would have to narrow it down to find the right ones for your purpose.

Good luck!
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Some tips Sep 6, 2015

Perhaps Google Bulgarian copywriting agencies, Bulgarian advertising agencies, and Bulgarian marketing agencies. I did this briefly and found a number of leads. You can also take a look at LinkedIn to find other Bulgarian copywriters. Investigating their profiles will show you where professional copywriters in Bulgaria are working. LinkedIn may also be a good source of both direct and agency clients.

Stelsita
Stelsita
Bulgaria
TOPIC STARTER
bulgarian agencies are no good Sep 20, 2015

Bulgarian agencies pay 0.01 euro per word, I am not gonna work for this! Still need help, any advice is welcome!!!

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
On what are you basing that? Sep 20, 2015

Stelsita wrote:
Bulgarian agencies pay 0.01 euro per word, I am not gonna work for this!

I work with a translation agency based in Sofia that is quite happy to pay my rates (which are higher than that for proofreading English texts).

There are bound to be some low-paying agencies. It's something we have to face. But maybe there are other, better agencies.

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Have you spotted that? Sep 21, 2015

Hi Stella,

Have you spotted this ad?
http://www.proz.com/job/1064815

Sheila, you are surprising me. I would be happy to know which agency it is. I almost never work for Bulgarian agencies because of the reasons Stella mentions. They consider a normal rate 4 or 5 euros per page. I remember I was suggested once a job for 2 euros the page.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sorry, naming names is not allowed here Sep 21, 2015

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:
Sheila, you are surprising me. I would be happy to know which agency it is. I almost never work for Bulgarian agencies because of the reasons Stella mentions. They consider a normal rate 4 or 5 euros per page. I remember I was suggested once a job for 2 euros the page.

A little investigation of my profile will bring up the name, but I'm not allowed to give it here. What I can say is that not only was my quoted rate accepted without negotiation, it's an hourly rate (as I mainly do English proofreading for them) and I invoice them depending on the time their jobs take. When I've done translations for them they've accepted my rate for that too. Why not? They want good-quality results and they know there's a certain cost to that.

Maybe this agency is the one and only exception in Bulgaria - I wouldn't know. But in the last three years I've also worked with clients in Romania, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Russia etc - most or all of which are supposed to be low payers. My own adopted country, Spain, has the same reputation, but exceptions exist here, too.

I'd say that freelance translators shouldn't concern themselves too much with statistics and "normal" rates. One freelancer can only handle a tiny amount of work really, so there are likely to be sufficient exceptions out there to make a good living for the best and most determined among us.

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
I wasn't too serious about my question Sep 21, 2015

Thank you, Sheila, for your answer. It is OK, I was only expressing my surprise, and took the occasion to send the link to the young lady.

Anyway, I am happy you have a positive experience with an agency from my country. Yes, and there should be certainly more than one, I would like to believe. I am not competitive on my local market because of my type of VAT registration which requires me to charge 20% more. And, as you mentioned this point, my handling capacity is pushed to its l
... See more
Thank you, Sheila, for your answer. It is OK, I was only expressing my surprise, and took the occasion to send the link to the young lady.

Anyway, I am happy you have a positive experience with an agency from my country. Yes, and there should be certainly more than one, I would like to believe. I am not competitive on my local market because of my type of VAT registration which requires me to charge 20% more. And, as you mentioned this point, my handling capacity is pushed to its limits right now. Which means that with commitment and hard work one can find their place under the sun. It only takes some time, especially at 24.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't understand Sep 21, 2015

I am not competitive on my local market because of my type of VAT registration which requires me to charge 20% more.

But surely VAT has no significance one way or the other for the vast majority of clients. Almost all businesses are themselves registered for VAT, and so VAT for them just becomes a bookkeeping overhead. It only creates a problem when invoicing private individuals who do indeed have to put their hands in their pockets and pay the extra. But then individuals don't usually want anything more than a couple of certificates or a CV, and many EU countries have rates of VAT that are higher than 20%. Anyway, that's off topic.
with commitment and hard work one can find their place under the sun. It only takes some time, especially at 24.

Now that is very true. Nobody should set themselves up as a freelancer - be it translator, website developer, house painter, plumber... - and expect to be working full time within a couple of months. For most people it takes time, often a year or more, before you feel at all established.

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Off-topic continued... Sep 21, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Almost all businesses are themselves registered for VAT, and so VAT for them just becomes a bookkeeping overhead.

Smaller agencies that don't work across borders just don't register for VAT. Those who choose to do it, usually register for an option that only allows them to have an intracommunity number but they cannot recover VAT from their provider. And bigger agencies, in principle, which are usually VAT-registered, are not the dream client - they tend to dictate their prices. Anyway, my registration is quite unusual for a freelancer, I am also able to recover VAT, so this has both advantages and drawbacks.

It's not bad to discuss this here, because Stella has to be aware that she needs to follow some administrative steps if she wants to work with foreign clients. VAT is one of them.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oh I see Sep 21, 2015

Smaller agencies that don't work across borders just don't register for VAT. Those who choose to do it, usually register for an option that only allows them to have an intracommunity number but they cannot recover VAT from their provider.

I expected that an agency would always be above the threshold for registering. Also, I would have thought that the amount of VAT expenditure that couldn't be be reclaimed would far outweigh any advantages. You learn something new every day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

24 yrs girl from Sofia needs help with finding content writing projects

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »