how do you think of ATA verified membership?
Thread poster: Jenny Xiong
Jenny Xiong
Jenny Xiong  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:59
English to Chinese
Mar 30, 2015

Do you think ATA verified membership is very helpful to look for new foreign customers? thank you!

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
It is a powerful tool Mar 30, 2015

The problem is to be co-optated. Not sure fellow ATA members would like your prices, 1/3 of theirs.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jenny Mar 30, 2015

TECHNICAL-Jenny wrote:
Do you think ATA verified membership is very helpful to look for new foreign customers?

Well, even if you get accredited by them, you'd be competing with 46 others. Still, those odds are better than at ProZ.com.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:59
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Your ATA "credential" Mar 30, 2015

What exactly is the nature the Chinese to English ATA "credential" you list in your profile? The only credential granted by the ATA is certification, and you are not listed by the ATA as having this credential.

"Membership" does not equal "credentialling", though on Proz this conflation appears to be commonplace.

Jenny Xiong
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
About ATA "credential" Mar 30, 2015

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

What exactly is the nature the Chinese to English ATA "credential" you list in your profile? The only credential granted by the ATA is certification, and you are not listed by the ATA as having this credential.

"Membership" does not equal "credentialling", though on Proz this conflation appears to be commonplace.

yes, you are right, I confused and corrected that just now, I contact ATA to arrange a test to get that certificate, hope I have that good luck to pass the test. thank you for your help and reply!

Just now I find there is no testing centre in China!!!! It seems no way to attend the exam in China!!! I feel hurt.

[修改时间: 2015-03-30 12:35 GMT]

Jenny Xiong
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
About the price from Eng to Chi Mar 30, 2015

houtberg wrote:

The problem is to be co-optated. Not sure fellow ATA members would like your prices, 1/3 of theirs.

Hi houtberg,

Thank you for your reply! I am thinking about this, do you mean my quotation is too high? thank you!

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
German to English
+ ...
Why ATA if you don't live in the US? Mar 30, 2015

I'm Canadian and have membership with the professional organization in Canada. A few years ago I compared the American counterpart with a colleague from there, and ours seemed advantageous (according to the colleague). What I haven't figured out is why people from different countries go to ATA membership and not membership of other countries' organizations - the German sworn translators, etc.? Why the American association in particular? There is the feel to it, as though ATA = "international... See more
I'm Canadian and have membership with the professional organization in Canada. A few years ago I compared the American counterpart with a colleague from there, and ours seemed advantageous (according to the colleague). What I haven't figured out is why people from different countries go to ATA membership and not membership of other countries' organizations - the German sworn translators, etc.? Why the American association in particular? There is the feel to it, as though ATA = "international", but it isn't actually, is it?Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Maxi Mar 30, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
What I haven't figured out is why people from different countries go to ATA membership and not membership of other countries' organizations - the German sworn translators, etc.?

We join the associations whose lists of translators we feel are most likely to be consulted by potential clients, and whose membership requirements are least onerous.

Jenny Xiong
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
about the ATA membership Mar 30, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
What I haven't figured out is why people from different countries go to ATA membership and not membership of other countries' organizations - the German sworn translators, etc.?

We join the associations whose lists of translators we feel are most likely to be consulted by potential clients, and whose membership requirements are least onerous.

Thank you for your reply! It seems only ATA provide English to Chinese Test (one-way), what I want to know is: I can not take the exam becuase no test center in china, but if I still buy the membership of ATA, do you think it is still helpful to get accepted by new potential customers? thank you! Is there any other translation certificate from English to Chinese (one-way)? Anyone can provide some information or suggestions? thank you in advance!

[修改时间: 2015-03-30 13:40 GMT]

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:59
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 30, 2015

TECHNICAL-Jenny wrote:

Is there any other translation certificate from English to Chinese (one-way)? Anyone can provide some information or suggestions? thank you in advance!

Yes, you can sit the CIOL DipTrans in China. https://www.ciol.org.uk/images/Qualifications/DipTrans/DTCentres.pdf

Edit to add: China is listed on pages 4 and 5

[Edited at 2015-03-30 13:48 GMT]

Jenny Xiong
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
CIOL DipTrans Mar 30, 2015

dianaft wrote:

TECHNICAL-Jenny wrote:

Is there any other translation certificate from English to Chinese (one-way)? Anyone can provide some information or suggestions? thank you in advance!

Yes, you can sit the CIOL DipTrans in China. https://www.ciol.org.uk/images/Qualifications/DipTrans/DTCentres.pdf

Edit to add: China is listed on pages 4 and 5

[Edited at 2015-03-30 13:48 GMT]

For the moment, I have a ETTBL - A level certificate, but it seems few people know this certificate internationally...Is there anyone this the ETTBL certificate? How about this certificate compared with the ATA or similar certificate in European countries?

[修改时间: 2015-03-30 14:11 GMT]

[修改时间: 2015-03-30 14:30 GMT]

[修改时间: 2015-03-30 14:58 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:59
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"International" is what's really needed Mar 30, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
What I haven't figured out is why people from different countries go to ATA membership and not membership of other countries' organizations - the German sworn translators, etc.? Why the American association in particular? There is the feel to it, as though ATA = "international", but it isn't actually, is it?

I, for one, live in Spain but Spanish isn't one of my working languages - if fact, I'm still struggling to communicate in it at all. And I know I'm far from being alone. There's no way I'd get anything out of a Spanish association. I could join the French one (never got round to it when I lived there) but they're terribly centred on Paris, not even the provinces. So I'm really left with the English-speaking countries, none of which I ever visit, and whose organisations are really tailored to their own countries.

This world of ours isn't really as "global" as you'd think from all the hype.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jenny Mar 30, 2015

TECHNICAL-Jenny wrote:
If I still buy the membership of ATA, do you think it is still helpful to get accepted by new potential customers?

Not sure... you'd be competing against 50 other English-Chinese translators (45 of whom are native Chinese speakers) who have passed the exam, plus another 220 English-Chinese translators who haven't passed any exam yet. It is worth paying $200 for a couple of 1-in-250 chances per year? You have to decide. Try it for a year or two.

[Edited at 2015-03-30 20:40 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear! Hear! Mar 31, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:
"International" is what's really needed

There's no way I'd get anything out of a Spanish association... I could join the French one ... but ... So I'm really left with the English-speaking countries ... whose organisations are really tailored to their own countries.

This world of ours isn't really as "global" as you'd think from all the hype.

Let's be clear: The established national associations are more concerned with the protection of ‘national’ markets, to the detriment of the global economy, than they are with fostering the global language market as a source of revenue for those of us who actually make a significant contribution to making that global economy work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how do you think of ATA verified membership?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »