Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
So........ Feb 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:
After extensive waterboarding, I confess that I did not familiarise myself with the full terms of the Creative Commons licence and may consequently have violated them.

So... does Dan Wyre know you're using his photograph?
(just kidding)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Very clever Feb 5, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

(just kidding)

How did you do that? Or if you tell me will you have to kill me?!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:19
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Google has in image search feature Feb 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

(just kidding)

He does take good shots.

How did you do that? Or if you tell me will you have to kill me?!

Go to Google, and click on "Images", (upper right corner).
Then you can drag the image into the search box, or click on "Upload" and select the file from your computer. Voila!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Google Image Search Feb 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

How did you do that?

Save image to desktop. Run Firefox. Go to images.google.com. Then drag and drop the image into the search field. (Drag and drop doesn't work in all browsers.)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:19
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Who? Feb 5, 2015

Who is Dan Wyre?

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Dan Wyre Feb 5, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Who is Dan Wyre?

https://www.facebook.com/danwyrephotography

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please, people ... Feb 5, 2015

... DNFTT, especially FJB.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Agree Feb 5, 2015

With Mervyn's post above

[Edited at 2015-02-05 19:41 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:49
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Copyright not the real issue Feb 6, 2015

From the little about copyright that I know, I think most of the thumbnails involved here don't really infringe copyright, because in most cases they have been altered or photo-brushed to fit the image size required for posting on the profile and are clipped from a much larger image, thus making them a new and different image from the original on which they are based.

The real issue is what this reveals about the translator himself/herself and how you interpret that. Does this conve
... See more
From the little about copyright that I know, I think most of the thumbnails involved here don't really infringe copyright, because in most cases they have been altered or photo-brushed to fit the image size required for posting on the profile and are clipped from a much larger image, thus making them a new and different image from the original on which they are based.

The real issue is what this reveals about the translator himself/herself and how you interpret that. Does this convey that the translator is shy of himself/herself, unsure, cagey, devious, etc., etc., and what effect these characteristics will have on his/her professionalism or his/her translation output or quality?

I feel, many people prefer to remain anonymous in public forums, just to protect their privacy, which is why they use these proxy images.

I also know of a few here who maintain two or more profiles, using one for job-related purposes and others for asking questions in kudoz or participating in forum discussions. They necessarily have to use pictures other than that of themselves for these additional profiles.

[Edited at 2015-02-06 03:12 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Clever Feb 6, 2015

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Go to Google, and click on "Images", (upper right corner).
Then you can drag the image into the search box, or click on "Upload" and select the file from your computer. Voila!

Samuel Murray wrote:

Save image to desktop. Run Firefox. Go to images.google.com. Then drag and drop the image into the search field. (Drag and drop doesn't work in all browsers.)

Wow, I never knew that. That's some impressive technology. And in some ways a little disturbing.

Only problem is I just can't think of a practical use for it.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chris Feb 6, 2015

Chris S wrote:
Only problem is I just can't think of a practical use for it.

I use it mostly to determine whether the images that accompany news stories truly reflect the event, or if someone had simply used an old, unrelated image and tacked it onto the story. I also use it to discover the location of beautiful places whose images I discover on photo posting sites.

You can also use it (sometimes) to catch out scammers who use the image of someone else. I must admit that if I discover that a translator uses an image of someone else as his/her profile image, I immediately trust them a lot less.

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Even easier... Feb 6, 2015

Run Chrome. Click on the image using the right mouse button and choose "Search image on Google".
That's all..
Quite useful.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:19
Chinese to English
Yes, and what about translators who never update their picture as they age? Feb 7, 2015

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Can't actually believe anyone's taking this seriously.

One thing is copyright, which is the only point the OP addressed in his initial post. Yes, it's serious when the context is serious.

But all this fuss about "scams", "stealing", "unprofessional activity", "false statements", "bringing the site into disrepute"......please....If ProZ has any problems with its reputation it's not because someone chooses to use G. Clooney's photo. George is a big boy now and has a team of very good lawyers.

It's not your problem.

Others have gone off the deep end, positing that posturing as Mr. Clooney, Ms. Borromeo (Hi Chris!), or Beyonce will undermine them, for there's nothing a client likes better than to know some Hollywood star is going to translate their text about Issuances of Mandatory Convertible Subordinated Debentures.

If anyone considers these celebrities to be their competitors, they have worse things to worry about. Seriously.

(Full disclosure: I am not a large, grey, cold building on the banks of the Mersey - just in case the Liver Birds decide to sue).

I second the above! Moreover, I don't think any of us want to be working with agencies who are making their outsourcing decisions based upon a translator's appearance.

Even if I did think this was an issue, I'd be far more concerned with translators who don't update their profile picture as they age (full disclosure: my photo was taken when I was 24, I'm 28 now). I'm sure a lot of translators over 50 purposefully hold off an extra 2-3 years before updating their photos to maintain a youthful image. I find nothing wrong with this, but if you want to argue that maintaining a true reflection of our actual appearance is important to being a professional, then Proz should require updated photos yearly.

Furthermore, even if everyone here is right, and appearances are important to clients' hiring decisions, if the Elephant Man came back to life and wanted to be a translator, would anyone really have a problem with the EM using George Clooney's heavenly face as his profile picture (assuming George gave his approval)? Should those not blessed with good appearances be forced to compete with those who are?

So I say that either we should agree that this discussion is a bit ridiculous (in the absence of clear evidence that a copyright has been violated), or start a draft in which we all adopt celebrities for our profile pictures. As a Boston lad, I'd like to call first dibbs on Mark Wahlberg's breathtaking early 1990s modelling shots, though I'd also be happy with any of numerous screenshots of Jimmy Stewart from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:19
Chinese to English
On topic/off topic Feb 7, 2015

On topic: Full disclosure: despite my attempts to draft him, my little bilingual has never offered me any help in my translations whatsoever!

Contra Preston, I think there is a middle line of concern. A picture of the translator is a picture of the translator, and it doesn't matter whether it's from now or ten years ago. A picture of a beach or a general sporty shot as Chris now has is obviously meant to be not the translator, just a general reflection of their brand/image. But a sp
... See more
On topic: Full disclosure: despite my attempts to draft him, my little bilingual has never offered me any help in my translations whatsoever!

Contra Preston, I think there is a middle line of concern. A picture of the translator is a picture of the translator, and it doesn't matter whether it's from now or ten years ago. A picture of a beach or a general sporty shot as Chris now has is obviously meant to be not the translator, just a general reflection of their brand/image. But a specific shot of another person (celeb or otherwise) *could* be an attempt to deceive. I think it's worth us all taking pains not to deceive and not to seem to deceive.

Off topic: the Google image search seems to be not much use now, but in about three years' time it's going to explode. The point is you will be able to point your phone at someone or something and learn everything about that person or that object. Like the car? Don't have to ask, just point your phone, and Google will have enough images stored/be good enough at manipulating the images to work out what make it is. Like the person? You won't even have to ask their name. Just like in the spy movies, the "system" will be able to give you all their data. Whoever gets image search right first is going to be the next Google.

[Edited at 2015-02-07 06:27 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site members using pictures of other people as profile pictures

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »