Local time: 11:49
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Invalid argument Nov 4, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

mek0n wrote:

Surely it does not take much effort to send a reply like "Thank you for your interest but unfortunately we have assigned the job elsewhere. We will keep your information on file etc etc etc".

If you receive 500 quotes, are you going to respond to every one of them?

Something is seriously wrong with your business model if you need to and actually do waste your time wading through 500 quotes for a small job you put up on an Internet auction, and then comparing them.

What made you think he had to wade though all 500 quotes? What has led you to think he received 500 quote for a "small" job?

[Edited at 2014-11-04 07:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-04 08:40 GMT]

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
Chinese to English
+ ...
let it be Nov 4, 2014

Agency should give a feedback regarding a free test whether the result is positive or not. As for the bidding system, let it be.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:49
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The old monkey/peanuts correlation Nov 4, 2014

Olga Koepping wrote:
One day I'll be in the mood to reply, saying "I am not a monkey, and I need money to buy peanuts".

Forgive me quoting again their advice (which will - when followed - make them answer quickly to a quote), but I had an advice for them in return, trying to follow their voice (and to practice my active English, too):

> Please keep in mind that - the more attractive and low your
> rate is - the higher the chances are for us to allocate you
> with lots and lots of projects!

My answer:
"Please keep in mind that - the more cheaper translators and students you employ - the higher the chances are for you that the overall quality will not be okay."

Of course no reaction, but afterwards I could see on the "visitor" tab of my proz profile some activities with the same IP coming from the mailer´s sender, like they were staring at you when you sound the horn to somebody.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-04 09:13 GMT]

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

a non-responsive client is not a good client Nov 4, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:
You might have missed a lot of good clients with such an approach.

I prefer to work with clients who display at least a basic level of professionalism. Any job poster who is (or pretends to be) too busy to respond is very likely to do the same when it comes to answering work-related questions, confirming jobs delivered and/or receipt of invoices. I do not consider these "good" clients, so I believe I don't actually miss anything but simply eliminate the "bad" ones, which is perfectly fine by me. : )

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
OK. you have the right to be selective Nov 4, 2014

Ildiko Santana wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:
You might have missed a lot of good clients with such an approach.

I prefer to work with clients who display at least a basic level of professionalism. Any job poster who is (or pretends to be) too busy to respond is very likely to do the same when it comes to answering work-related questions, confirming jobs delivered and/or receipt of invoices. I do not consider these "good" clients, so I believe I don't actually miss anything but simply eliminate the "bad" ones, which is perfectly fine by me. : )

but I think this statement of yours could have been an over-generalization: "Any job poster who is (or pretends to be) too busy to respond is very likely to do the same when it comes to answering work-related questions, confirming jobs delivered and/or receipt of invoices."

[Edited at 2014-11-04 08:39 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Responses following bids

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »