Thread poster: DLyons
DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2014

Over on LinkedIn there is a plague of scammers using "bimbobots" (attractive, usually female, photos ripped off from stock images, web sites, real people) and given random new names.

Fortunately, ProZ doesn't suffer as much. But I have come across Featured Translators (both male and female) whom I suspect might be doing something similar with their 'photos. For example, there's someone who is variously Daria, Catarina and Stephanie on xing, Sibylla on a German site and yet another
... See more
Over on LinkedIn there is a plague of scammers using "bimbobots" (attractive, usually female, photos ripped off from stock images, web sites, real people) and given random new names.

Fortunately, ProZ doesn't suffer as much. But I have come across Featured Translators (both male and female) whom I suspect might be doing something similar with their 'photos. For example, there's someone who is variously Daria, Catarina and Stephanie on xing, Sibylla on a German site and yet another name on ProZ.

Caveat Emptor
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Indeed Aug 23, 2014

Yes - I know of one who does this. I know what she looks like in real life, but her ID photo on Proz is certainly not her.

[Edited at 2014-08-23 19:51 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 23, 2014

There was someone going by the name of Edward Mahana who got booted off ProZ for stealing other people's sample translations (including mine). He or she used a stock photograph of a very distinguished-looking silverhaired man in front of a bookcase that turned out to be all over the internet.

Why do people do this? Most of us have at least one vaguely flattering photo we can use, rather than hiding behind someone else's.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
So...? Aug 23, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

There was someone going by the name of Edward Mahana who got booted off ProZ for stealing other people's sample translations (including mine). He or she used a stock photograph of a very distinguished-looking silverhaired man in front of a bookcase that turned out to be all over the internet.

Why do people do this? Most of us have at least one vaguely flattering photo we can use, rather than hiding behind someone else's.

So Phil: where's your vaguely flattering photo?

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:48
Catalan to English
+ ...
Erm..... Aug 24, 2014

philgoddard wrote:
Why do people do this? Most of us have at least one vaguely flattering photo we can use, (....).

Speak for yourself 'Pool's enough for me.

Susana Cid Díaz (X)
Susana Cid Díaz (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too... Aug 24, 2014

DLyons wrote:

Fortunately, ProZ doesn't suffer as much. But I have come across Featured Translators (both male and female) whom I suspect might be doing something similar with their 'photos. For example, there's someone who is variously Daria, Catarina and Stephanie on xing, Sibylla on a German site and yet another name on ProZ.

Caveat Emptor

I used a picture of a bimbo, myself. Actually, I took the picture of a super model.... can't you tell?? (hi hi hi!)

DLyons
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eat your heart out Gisele Aug 24, 2014

Susana Cid Díaz wrote:

I used a picture of a bimbo, myself. Actually, I took the picture of a super model.... can't you tell?? (hi hi hi!)

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A thought Aug 24, 2014

Does having a photograph with one's profile (whether flattering or otherwise) actually make any difference to views/responses/job offers, does anyone know?
My photo is me, a nice one, natch, and hence rather dimly lit, but someone here once suggested it looked like a "stock" photo. Should I be flattered - or annoyed?

DLyons
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who knows? Aug 24, 2014

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Does having a photograph with one's profile (whether flattering or otherwise) actually make any difference to views/responses/job offers, does anyone know?
My photo is me, a nice one, natch, and hence rather dimly lit, but someone here once suggested it looked like a "stock" photo. Should I be flattered - or annoyed?

If it's an Agency they probably just want your "best rate".

FWIW, your photo resembles (to Google) Mia Wasikowska - which is probably good.
And one of the Pope kissing a baby - go figure

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stock Photos

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »