Thread poster: Vladislav.
Vladislav.
Vladislav.

Local time: 05:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 15, 2014

Hello,

Could anyone please explain to me whether it is possible on this or other websites to submit my translator's resume (which I have uploaded on my profile) for a check to be made to see whether it looks well and what changes or improvements are to be made?

Kind regards,

Vladislav Kotenko

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:28
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jun 16, 2014

Hi, Vladislav. I'm sure a couple of colleagues will share their opinions here, but since you're interested in getting your CV right (which is a smart notion), why don't you check out Marta Stelmaszak's e-book about CVs for translators?

<
... See more
Hi, Vladislav. I'm sure a couple of colleagues will share their opinions here, but since you're interested in getting your CV right (which is a smart notion), why don't you check out Marta Stelmaszak's e-book about CVs for translators?

http://wantwords.co.uk/school/lesson-57-you-need-a-cv-that-works-ebook-on-cv-writing-in-translation-2/

Afterward, you could either ask colleagues here again or book a more formal session with Marta.
Collapse

Vladislav.
Vladislav.

English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resume Jun 18, 2014

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to apply them to make necessary improvements in my resume

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:28
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Don't leave any words in Russian in the English version of your CV Jun 18, 2014

I saw that you had the name of your college written in Russian in your Education section. This should be written in English.

Elena Ponomareva
Elena Ponomareva  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:28
Member (2017)
English to Russian
+ ...
CV for a check Nov 24, 2014

Hello!
I have the same request as Vladislav. Could anybody who has more experience than I do please look through my CV for any mistakes: http://cdn3.proz.com/profile_resources/1810270_r5459cbe99a07d.pdf
I do not have a lot of clients there and I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe my rates are too high or too low, maybe it is something else. I would be ver
... See more
Hello!
I have the same request as Vladislav. Could anybody who has more experience than I do please look through my CV for any mistakes: http://cdn3.proz.com/profile_resources/1810270_r5459cbe99a07d.pdf
I do not have a lot of clients there and I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe my rates are too high or too low, maybe it is something else. I would be very grateful for any help.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
PhD Nov 24, 2014

Hi Elena,

I think you are massively underselling your technical education and background. If I had a PhD in a technical field it would be in the headline of every profile or CV I wrote and in the subject line of every email I sent to agencies looking for work (assuming it's agencies you are targeting). So the first thing I would change in your CV would be to change the headline from 'Reliable technical translator from English to Russian' to 'Russian-English translator with PhD in te
... See more
Hi Elena,

I think you are massively underselling your technical education and background. If I had a PhD in a technical field it would be in the headline of every profile or CV I wrote and in the subject line of every email I sent to agencies looking for work (assuming it's agencies you are targeting). So the first thing I would change in your CV would be to change the headline from 'Reliable technical translator from English to Russian' to 'Russian-English translator with PhD in technical science' - or something along those lines.

I don't see any mistakes in your CV, but I see a lot of really strong selling points that are hidden away in the body of the text. Bear in mind that work providers may not read that far if you don't grab their attention instantly. Put the good stuff at the top!

Rachel
Collapse

Elena Ponomareva
Elena Ponomareva  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:28
Member (2017)
English to Russian
+ ...
CV for a check Nov 24, 2014

Rachel,
thanks a lot!

Irina Latushkina (X)
Irina Latushkina (X)  Identity Verified
Belarus
English to Russian
Resume for checking Dec 3, 2014

Hi,

I am not new to the translation industry, and I have applied to about 40 agencies during the last 12 months. I received 6 or 7 replies (from Russia, Europe, UK and USA), did test jobs for them and signed non-disclosure agreements. However, I only received regular work from one agency, and a couple of small orders from another one, both in Russia. All the others remain silent.

So I started to wonder if there's something wrong with my resume, that the agencies aren't
... See more
Hi,

I am not new to the translation industry, and I have applied to about 40 agencies during the last 12 months. I received 6 or 7 replies (from Russia, Europe, UK and USA), did test jobs for them and signed non-disclosure agreements. However, I only received regular work from one agency, and a couple of small orders from another one, both in Russia. All the others remain silent.

So I started to wonder if there's something wrong with my resume, that the agencies aren't very willing to include me into their database, or give me a low ranking there.

Could anyone check my resume and point out my mistakes or suggest some ways to improve it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3FVI-4kILEnQkdvSno3RTVDWDQ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot for any help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Submitting one's resume for a check

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »