Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Agencies: Do you REALLY read & file unsolicited translator applications received via e-mail?
Thread poster: José Henrique Lamensdorf
Bettina Hammer
Bettina Hammer  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 08:32
English to German
Are we talking about unsolicited emails or not? Feb 23, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

When I was a PM, unsolicited CVs didn't even make a slush pile, they were all simply deleted straight away.

But the original question was about CVs being sent because someone asked for them.
I think there is a huge difference between "I get unsolicited emails with CVs" and "I have a special email-address for CVs and emails of potential translators and I do invite people to write to this email and send their CVs but all I do is delete those emails"

I mean - if you _do_ have only special requests then such an email would not be neccessary. But if you have your website containing a text like "We still need future cooperation with translators - please do not hesitate to contact us and send us your best rates and your CV", then Iexpect _you_ not to waste my time but to read my mail, to ask for details and to put me in your database at least.

mtmlinguasoft
mtmlinguasoft
Local time: 02:32
English
translator applications Feb 26, 2014

In the past year, practically all of the unsolicited CVs we received through our "info@" email were frauds/scammers. We delete the ones with obviously unprofessional "cover letter" emails, and follow up on the CVs that look legit by checking against www.translator-scammers.com.

We are a small shop (five of us) and we invite translators to send their information by filling out our website
... See more
In the past year, practically all of the unsolicited CVs we received through our "info@" email were frauds/scammers. We delete the ones with obviously unprofessional "cover letter" emails, and follow up on the CVs that look legit by checking against www.translator-scammers.com.

We are a small shop (five of us) and we invite translators to send their information by filling out our website application, because that's at least one small way to establish that they are legitimate professionals. (I guess a scammer going for the "long con" could do the same but it's a little less likely).
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just to follow up Feb 27, 2014

We do have an online form that translators can fill out; those are automatically saved in our records. We get maybe one or two of those a week.

There are several more that email us directly - some even manage to find my personal email address. The majority of these applications end up being scams and we delete them. We receive three or four of these a day. One even sent me my own CV claiming it as their own.

I'm pretty sure that someone sold our email addresses to someo
... See more
We do have an online form that translators can fill out; those are automatically saved in our records. We get maybe one or two of those a week.

There are several more that email us directly - some even manage to find my personal email address. The majority of these applications end up being scams and we delete them. We receive three or four of these a day. One even sent me my own CV claiming it as their own.

I'm pretty sure that someone sold our email addresses to someone else that blasts out mass emails everyday.
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Feb 27, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

One even sent me my own CV claiming it as their own.

Lol, this made my morning.

Simona Micutari
Simona Micutari  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Romanian
+ ...
Lol XD Feb 28, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Haha, that's hysterical!!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Watch out! Feb 28, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Identity Thief (movie)

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:32
English to Spanish
Did I just unknowingly turn myself down? Mar 1, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Was this CV among the ones you turned down for lack of proper qualifications before you realized it was your own CV? Oops!

[Edited at 2014-03-01 17:59 GMT]

Christian Esquivel
Christian Esquivel  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
We do but not with all CVs Mar 18, 2014

Working as a translator and occasionally as a PM for larger projects I can tell you that sometimes an agency posts a job with specific requirements such as language pair, years of experience, fields of expertise, rates (a MUST since it has to fall within the budget), daily output, etc.

What is surprising is the number of CVs/emails that the agency receives which either:

1. Have nothing to do with the post as they do not meet the requirements by far (sometimes not even t
... See more
Working as a translator and occasionally as a PM for larger projects I can tell you that sometimes an agency posts a job with specific requirements such as language pair, years of experience, fields of expertise, rates (a MUST since it has to fall within the budget), daily output, etc.

What is surprising is the number of CVs/emails that the agency receives which either:

1. Have nothing to do with the post as they do not meet the requirements by far (sometimes not even the language pair).

e.g. "I know you posted you need a Spanish/English translator but I am excellent at translating Portuguese/English so I'm sending my CV...."

2. Some translators don't even care to send a decent email. These emails sound like an automated response.

e.g. "Hello, my name is John Doe and here is my CV. More info upon request". "Hi, My name is Jane Doe and I can collaborate with your project, Here is my CV".

3. Some other translators just commit suicide with their emails.

e.g. "Hi, my name is John and I can translate at a rate of $0.01 USD".

So, bottom line is that some translators just don't send the right information, apply for jobs they're not qualified for, sell their services so low that a PM can't think they're seriously going to deliver quality work or just don't know how to send a proper email.

In such cases you can't expect a PM to reply, read and/or file 95% of emails which just don't meet the requirements.

Regards,
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies: Do you REALLY read & file unsolicited translator applications received via e-mail?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »