Thread poster: Rubén Lado Riomao
Rubén Lado Riomao
Rubén Lado Riomao
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2014

Hello to all,

I am trying to make some changes on my CV and this question arose.

Is it ok to include in your CV videogame references? For example, instead the normal line for a text box, some yellow dots and Pacman eating them. I want to make my CV more interesting and appealing, to show my passion towards videogames.

Any comment will be appreciated

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:11
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Just to be on the safe side Jan 20, 2014

Rubén Lado Riomao wrote:

Hello to all,

I am trying to make some changes on my CV and this question arose.

Is it ok to include in your CV videogame references? For example, instead the normal line for a text box, some yellow dots and Pacman eating them. I want to make my CV more interesting and appealing, to show my passion towards videogames.

Any comment will be appreciated

I would check with the PM of the agency. You'll therefore have at least an email to refer to for future reference. I've done that when referencing one of my projects on my current portfolio of services (I'm all FOR using the term "portfolio of services", much less for a CV or a resume - you are not applying for a role or a job, you are providing a service, you are collaborating with and assisting an agency instead).

I have however seen frequent use of "end client: IBM, etc, etc". So instead of quoting a game, the translator mentioned the developer's name instead.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:11
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jan 20, 2014

Pac-man specifically is owned by Namco Bandai, despite the multitude of clones and widespread use of the symbolic. It's possible that Pac-man has become the sort of cultural symbol for which you wouldn't need permission to use in a situation like you describe (e.g. on a dotted rim around your CV), but I guess writing to them would be safer.

Basically, the point here is whether your use of tiny, pointed references (e.g
... See more
Pac-man specifically is owned by Namco Bandai, despite the multitude of clones and widespread use of the symbolic. It's possible that Pac-man has become the sort of cultural symbol for which you wouldn't need permission to use in a situation like you describe (e.g. on a dotted rim around your CV), but I guess writing to them would be safer.

Basically, the point here is whether your use of tiny, pointed references (e.g. parts of screenshots) in an appropriate context remains within free use/right of citation (even despite the commercial purpose), or perhaps you need the copyright holder's permission. This kind of question requires a copyright lawyer who actually knows the jurisdictions in which you work to answer.

[Edited at 2014-01-20 05:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-20 05:02 GMT]
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Fair use Jan 20, 2014

Lots of people think that it's OK to use copyrighted work for any purpose, provided the excerpt is very small. But that's not so.

"Fair use", some form of which is provided by many jurisdictions, basically means that you may excerpt copyrighted material for journalistic purposes, criticism or some forms of derivative artwork. You may not, however, use it for arbitrary decoration.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Add some info Jan 20, 2014

Hi Rubén,

if you have worked in this field, then you might post a "What the clients say" section in your business brochure (CV). This can be done without revealing their or the projects' names, and can come from e. g. feedback received in emails.

I have a few such feedbacks listed in my business brochure; the emails were scanned after all identifying content was removed, and then pasted into my bb.

Best,

Thayenga

Rubén Lado Riomao
Rubén Lado Riomao
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jan 20, 2014

In my post I was refering just to the usage of images with copyright. I will try to contact each author, but in the case of something really well known in the industry, like Mario, I know I won´t get a reply.

It´s worth a try either way. I´ll always have Deviantart. Pretty easy to contact the authors to ask for their permission.

Thanks for all the information about both images and excerpts-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyright issues on CV/Resume

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »