Silvia M.
Silvia M.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:01
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 7, 2014

I have recently come across a few websites offering translation agencies databases for marketing purposes. Has anyone amongst you ever purchased such a list? And if yes, what was your experience with it? Did it help you increase your pool of customers and would you recommend the purchase of such lists for marketing purposes?

I am looking forward to your comments.

Silvia

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
No need to spend any money on lists Jan 7, 2014

The names of translation agencies are readily available from the various associations of translation agencies. Examples are: EUATC for Europe and ATA for the United States. Just follow the links to the member companies on those sites.

[Edited at 2014-01-07 13:46 GMT]

Silvia M.
Silvia M.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are list not less time consuming Jan 7, 2014

Would it not be less time consuming to have all agencies in one list?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Takes time but best results Jan 7, 2014

Yes, that's true, however I have purchased a few lists in years past and found them to be way out of date. In a couple I tried I got bounces from over half the email addresses. Also, you don't necessarily know whether a purchased list has the right contact, since it's not always clear where the names came from. Sending an email to the wrong person is no use.

Extracting the data from membership lists will take time, but the result is a completely fresh, up-to-date list of your own
... See more
Yes, that's true, however I have purchased a few lists in years past and found them to be way out of date. In a couple I tried I got bounces from over half the email addresses. Also, you don't necessarily know whether a purchased list has the right contact, since it's not always clear where the names came from. Sending an email to the wrong person is no use.

Extracting the data from membership lists will take time, but the result is a completely fresh, up-to-date list of your own making. Almost all agencies invite translators to register with them but each one generally has a different method or a special email address.

When I started out freelancing I did spend several days extracting data but have never regretted it.
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Be cautious Jan 8, 2014

My experience is that it really helps to send direct emails to translation agencies.
The response rate is about 7% for my language pair, which is not so bad.
Most marketers consider 1% to be the target rate.

For the last 16-17 months I have been manually "combing" various directories,
Google search results and LinkedIn for emails of translation agencies from developed countries which actively recruit new translators.
I now have around 1720 emails. Using th
... See more
My experience is that it really helps to send direct emails to translation agencies.
The response rate is about 7% for my language pair, which is not so bad.
Most marketers consider 1% to be the target rate.

For the last 16-17 months I have been manually "combing" various directories,
Google search results and LinkedIn for emails of translation agencies from developed countries which actively recruit new translators.
I now have around 1720 emails. Using this list, I was able to make up a healthy list of my own clients paying decent rates.

All these emails are shown on the respective websites as emails that translators are invited to use in order to send their CVs.

As was said above, one thing that people can sell you is a list of just any emails of translation agencies (in other words, you may end up sending your cover letters to people who are absolutely not interested in your CV - like accountants, CEOs, etc. In this case it is most likely that your letter will go to spam folder).

This is a very important remark. Just in case you decide to buy something.

Once again, if you decide to gather emails by yourself, please bear in mind that you can only use emails which are directly used by agencies to receive CVs of translators.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For whom?? Jan 8, 2014

Silvia M. wrote:
Would it not be less time consuming to have all agencies in one list?

Using a list might save you time, but apart from the obvious quality problem these lists are plagued by, you will make a pile of people lose their time seeing your unsolicited emails a.k.a. spam.

Select your target agencies carefully based on criteria like location, industries they serve, preferred CAT tool if you use one tool in particular, size, etc. All those are things you will need to research yourself. If you don't have the time to look for that information, it would mean that you have work to do, and therefore you can't really serve too many new customers and writing to a zillion agencies serves no purpose other than spamming.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Just got one of these spam mails this morning Jan 8, 2014

The clever translator copied I don't know how many email addresses in the address field. How clever. He just went directly onto our DNC list.

[Edited at 2014-01-08 14:17 GMT]

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 02:01
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
It depends on what you use the list for Jan 8, 2014

Hello,

I have never bought a list, but have used association databases or for example Payment Practices to find agencies to work with. A list might be an easy way to get a whole bunch of contacts, but I would still research every company/agency, Before contacting them. Some agencies are good ones, other less so. Check their payment practices, do they have a good website, do they have good reputation and recommendations, but above all, check the website for their preferred applicati
... See more
Hello,

I have never bought a list, but have used association databases or for example Payment Practices to find agencies to work with. A list might be an easy way to get a whole bunch of contacts, but I would still research every company/agency, Before contacting them. Some agencies are good ones, other less so. Check their payment practices, do they have a good website, do they have good reputation and recommendations, but above all, check the website for their preferred application method. If they indicate that you should fill out a form on the website, there is no use at all to send an email. It will go straight to the trash. Also, if they do want an email, see if there is a contact name. I receive many emails starting with "Dear Sir/Madam", and if they would have checked my website, they would know my name, plus that I only deal with English and Swedish and no other languages.

So lists can help, but do not skip the homework before contacting an agency. Good luck!
Collapse

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 02:01
Categorized Databases Mar 27, 2014

Selecting the local & our service industry related database is most important. Translation Agencies Databases save our time in terms of search & listed but most of time we have to categorized it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Agencies Databases

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »