Alain Chuba
Alain Chuba
Germany
Local time: 08:54
English to French
+ ...
Oct 14, 2013

Hi Dear Friends,
Any Feedback would be highly appreciated. I just created my freelance website: http://www.translationshome.com/index.html , would love to have different views on the design and content too. Thank you all in advance! Alain.

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
Turkish to English
+ ...
Good Oct 14, 2013

Hi. I think your website is generally good but it needs some proofing eg you have cooperate instead of corporate in your About section, that's just after a cursory look through so there may be more. Also I don't quite understand the picture gallery again in About. It's quite distracting and I don't think the pictures have anything to do with the site.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Your low rates Oct 14, 2013

surprise me, especially regarding the high quality you offer.

My 2 cents

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Sorry, but... Oct 15, 2013

It's very clear from your site that you're not a native speaker of English (despite what your ProZ profile says), and yet you're offering into-English translations. "Contact us, you won't regret" on the first page doesn't exactly inspire confidence. There's no such word as Impressum in English, and we don't use initial capitals for common nouns.

[Edited at 2013-10-15 00:32 GMT]

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:54
English
+ ...
Impressum Oct 15, 2013

I agree with Phil that there is no such word as “Impressum” in English, but if it’s something required by the law I don’t really have an issue with it, though links to legal notices like these are generally placed at the bottom of the page and not at the top.

That said, “Impressum” was the first page I read simply because I had no idea what it was, and as soon as I was reading it I found the word “folowing”, which should have been “following”. (There are strange
... See more
I agree with Phil that there is no such word as “Impressum” in English, but if it’s something required by the law I don’t really have an issue with it, though links to legal notices like these are generally placed at the bottom of the page and not at the top.

That said, “Impressum” was the first page I read simply because I had no idea what it was, and as soon as I was reading it I found the word “folowing”, which should have been “following”. (There are strange spelling, punctuation and formatting errors elsewhere too.)

Other that the points Phil raised, we also don’t write “full-satisfaction”, “down-loadable” or “on-line”. (These should be “full satisfaction”, “downloadable” and “online”.)
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Impressum & "cut-off" sentences Oct 15, 2013

Hi Alino,

first, your website design looks good.

I agree with our colleagues, the word "Impressum" doesn't exist in English, and normal nouns are not capitalized.

On your HOME page it seemed that you have missed the word "your" in "Submit documents to be translated..." This appears a little impersonal, while all along you probably want (I believe) to address your prospective client directly.<
... See more
Hi Alino,

first, your website design looks good.

I agree with our colleagues, the word "Impressum" doesn't exist in English, and normal nouns are not capitalized.

On your HOME page it seemed that you have missed the word "your" in "Submit documents to be translated..." This appears a little impersonal, while all along you probably want (I believe) to address your prospective client directly.

Your price list needs some editing as well. E. g. "0Xcent. per word". When you stipulate your prices in cents (the first time I have seen this), you need to omit dot after the word "cent" and, most importantly, the "0" in front of the amount, unless you are offering a fraction of a cent per word.

You suggest that the document be submitted first "to be translated for ... evaluation". Does this mean that you will first translate the document and then inform your client of how much you will charge them? You see, I know what you are trying to say, however, non-native speakers might come up with the same impression I've just outlined here.

These are just a few "issues". Again, the visual impression is nice.

[Edited at 2013-10-15 06:17 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Your focus on price Oct 15, 2013

You offer a "best price guarantee" and the "best price available on the net". Are you really going to hold this up?

I wonder if it is wise to focus so much on your price. It's the first thing I clicked on your home page because it was the most noticeable text there. If you've decided that the price is going to be your selling point, I'm afraid you'll have to reduce it even more to compete with the cheapest outfits.

I suggest you rethink your approach. Explain why a cli
... See more
You offer a "best price guarantee" and the "best price available on the net". Are you really going to hold this up?

I wonder if it is wise to focus so much on your price. It's the first thing I clicked on your home page because it was the most noticeable text there. If you've decided that the price is going to be your selling point, I'm afraid you'll have to reduce it even more to compete with the cheapest outfits.

I suggest you rethink your approach. Explain why a client would want you to do the translation more than anyone else. Who are you? What are your qualifications? Are you experienced? All these questions need to be answered.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alino Oct 15, 2013

Alino wrote:
I just created my freelance website:
http://www.translationshome.com/index.html

1. I realise that you're using a webpage creator and that you have very little control over the layout, but I must say that I think the elements are a little too widely spaced. White space is good, but not too much of it (this view was shrunk so that it would fit here):

2. I also think that the font is very difficult to read in several places, partly due to the size of the letters:

3. I don't have a problem with the "Impressum", but if you're concerned that it would put non-German readers off, you can remove it from the top menu and simply leave it in the bottom menu. That would still be legal, right? Don't try to translate "Impressum" (or, if you do, it aint "Imprint").

4. I'm not familiar with the abbreviation "GT & CS".

5. The English is really non-native in several places, as others have said.

6. In your menu, I would move the "Contact" item to the very end, because that is where most web sites have it.

7. Why does your logo say "Transcations Home"? (-:

8. On your "About" page the headings are the same font as the paragraph text (i.e. not bolded or underlined), which makes the page look hastely done.

9. On your "About" page, the text is hard-wrapped very far from the right-hand margin, but on your GT & CS page the text is hard-wrapped beyond the edge of the right-hand margin (which means that I have to scroll horizontally to read it).

Samuel

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree with Phil, and.... Oct 15, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

It's very clear from your site that you're not a native speaker of English (despite what your ProZ profile says), and yet you're offering into-English translations. "Contact us, you won't regret" on the first page doesn't exactly inspire confidence. There's no such word as Impressum in English, and we don't use initial capitals for common nouns.

[Edited at 2013-10-15 00:32 GMT]

....the statement on the front page, below the "E-mail" link, that says

"Submit documents to be translated, we shall offer you the best price available on the net"

is not good English (and is not believable !)

Alain Chuba
Alain Chuba
Germany
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 15, 2013

Thank you very much, Samuel!
Your help has been much appreciated. Most of your suggestions have been swallowed with big sips of wine.
I am going to try my utmost to figure out how I can modify the size. I would need a small knowledge of CSS though.
Look forward to seeing the end of the tunnel soon!

NB: That "Translations Home" issue is perhaps reminiscent of that famous "...a wandering to find home". Lol

Alain Chuba
Alain Chuba
Germany
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Appreciated Oct 15, 2013

Kaya, thanks for sacrificing your precious time. Stay blessed...

Alain Chuba
Alain Chuba
Germany
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Danke! Oct 15, 2013

Gudrun, es ist bloß ein Anfang!!! Vielleicht werde ich Zukünftig 1cent pro Satz nehmen, damit die Profis ihre Ruhe haben. Wünsche dir wat...lol

Alain Chuba
Alain Chuba
Germany
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 15, 2013

Thank you for that eagle eye, Li...

Alain Chuba
Alain Chuba
Germany
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Appreciated though Oct 15, 2013

Phil!
What makes you feel so adamant in thinking that writing bad English must be synonymous to not being a native speaker? Wish our Viking invaders were all that smart as we all are today, our TONGUE would probably be written and spoken the way Caxton had always wanted it to be---our eggs would be our meat, just a clue.
I love the way you have described your wandering odysseys to raise money to help cancer research on your profile. The token for walking that long was worth it though
... See more
Phil!
What makes you feel so adamant in thinking that writing bad English must be synonymous to not being a native speaker? Wish our Viking invaders were all that smart as we all are today, our TONGUE would probably be written and spoken the way Caxton had always wanted it to be---our eggs would be our meat, just a clue.
I love the way you have described your wandering odysseys to raise money to help cancer research on your profile. The token for walking that long was worth it though.
Thanks...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking feedback on new website

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »