Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 29, 2013

You may be familiar with the original e-book Marta Stelmaszak published about two years ago to help translators make a 'CV that works' in her own words. At some point during the last months, I caught myself thinking it would be a good thing for an updated version to appear. Little did I know that she was already on it. It was a pleasure to look at the e-book before it was made wide... See more
You may be familiar with the original e-book Marta Stelmaszak published about two years ago to help translators make a 'CV that works' in her own words. At some point during the last months, I caught myself thinking it would be a good thing for an updated version to appear. Little did I know that she was already on it. It was a pleasure to look at the e-book before it was made widely available.

This isn't exactly a disinterested recommendation for a bunch of reasons, including the fact that one or two tips there come from me (while on the other hand I disagree with one or two others), but I really believe in what I say when I say that especially everybody who is new to the translation world – and especially fresh out of school, in the early twenties and in a first job – should go and get the file, and, in fact, probably everyone else down to the veterans should at least skim through it to make sure not to miss out on anything important. I'm pretty sure even established translators could find therein something new to think about and benefit from.

And, frankly, it would be a poor idea to ignore a good quality 37-page e-book just on CV writing when it comes free of charge (although you do need to sign up for a newsletter to receive the link to the file). It guides you step by step from the time before you even start writing (there's a lot of analysis in the beginning) to the CVs that have been failed by real-life agency people that Marta has talked to about this –and that's quite a handful in addition to the fact that, as I understand, she has had some experience of her own vetting CVs for projects.

To recap, some of the good points are:
– it's translation-specific,
– it has 37 pages of stuff (but it has pictures, so don't worry),
– there's both analysis and practical advice,
– it's the opposite of focusing on formatting and stuff like that, on the contrary, it properly addresses the CV as the translator's primary marketing tool, which it is. Because it is, and Marta is a business/marketing trainer, so she knows what she's talking about when she gets around to it.

As a side-effect, a lot of the advice will be directly helpful or at least inspirational (or at least give you an informed second opinion on things) when you get around to tweaking your online profiles here, on other translator portals or on social media.

Link:

http://wantwords.co.uk/school/lesson-57-you-need-a-cv-that-works-ebook-on-cv-writing-in-translation/

[Edited at 2013-07-29 10:25 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Couldn't agree more, Łukasz Jul 29, 2013

It certainly is something all freelancers, and particularly freelance translators, should take notice of.

I prepared some text for a Wiki on the same subject. I don't know the first thing about writing Wiki articles and so I really only put up a skeleton, hoping that others would add the flesh. I don't think what I said there disagrees with anything that Marta says, but she does say it so much better, and in much more detail. I would really like to see her ebook referred to in that
... See more
It certainly is something all freelancers, and particularly freelance translators, should take notice of.

I prepared some text for a Wiki on the same subject. I don't know the first thing about writing Wiki articles and so I really only put up a skeleton, hoping that others would add the flesh. I don't think what I said there disagrees with anything that Marta says, but she does say it so much better, and in much more detail. I would really like to see her ebook referred to in that Wiki. However, I have no idea how to edit it. The Wiki I wrote (although I didn't propose templates) is here: http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_an_effective_CV_/_resume

Perhaps some kind soul would oblige?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marta Stelmaszak's updated e-book on CV writing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »