Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:38
German to French
+ ...
May 15, 2013

Dear colleagues,

For those interested in having their CV/cover letter reviewed in a private coaching session, you might find this useful: http://alexandria-library.com/2013/05/14/cv-reviews1

The reviews will be held by Marta Stelmaszak, author of a free ebook "
... See more
Dear colleagues,

For those interested in having their CV/cover letter reviewed in a private coaching session, you might find this useful: http://alexandria-library.com/2013/05/14/cv-reviews1

The reviews will be held by Marta Stelmaszak, author of a free ebook "How to write a translator's CV" (http://wantwords.co.uk/school/sign-up)

Have a great day,
Anne
Collapse

Marta Stelmaszak (X)
Marta Stelmaszak (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Polish to English
+ ...
Thanks! May 16, 2013

Thanks for adding this info here, Anne.

I just wanted to add that I'll be very happy to look at your CV (very often your primary marketing tool!) and you're very warmly invited!

Marta

Mei Li Chea
Mei Li Chea
Chile
Local time: 22:38
English to Spanish
Useful tip May 16, 2013

Thank you very much!!

This info will be very helpful to me. I am always looking for the way to improve my CV and cover letter.
I'll be waiting for the e-book !!

Regards,
Mei-Li Chea

Marta Stelmaszak (X)
Marta Stelmaszak (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Polish to English
+ ...
Welcome! May 17, 2013

Mei Li Chea Castillo wrote:

This info will be very helpful to me. I am always looking for the way to improve my CV and cover letter.
I'll be waiting for the e-book !!

If you want to make sure you get my free ebook on CVs, just sign up here, Mei: http://wantwords.co.uk/school/sign-up/.

Thanks a lot for your interest!

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:38
English to Polish
+ ...
:P May 23, 2013

Or, if you don't like signup forms, there's a perfectly legit way to download that e-book from Marta's website because she lists it with her other publications.

I strongly recommend that you get the thing and read it and even play around a bit with the tips until you get results that look good to you (probably not so much to Marta, but that's the point) o
... See more
Or, if you don't like signup forms, there's a perfectly legit way to download that e-book from Marta's website because she lists it with her other publications.

I strongly recommend that you get the thing and read it and even play around a bit with the tips until you get results that look good to you (probably not so much to Marta, but that's the point) or until the point where you feel you can't make it any better no matter how hard you try. This includes taking a look around Proz.com for CVs of your colleagues and peers, but also competitors and people you aspire to be like when you grow up as a translator, as examples have a way of sinking in and inspiring ideas. Consider people with high job number listed on their profiles, and good WWA scores: those guys are more likely to be scam-proof, client-verified and, well, have CVs that work (they must have attracted all that business somehow, after all).

Allow the basics to sink in. Use your own knowledge to expand on the points Marta made, read a bunch of contemporary resources about CVs (some things change, and also Marta undoubtedly knows more now than she did back then). Get Marta to work with you on what's a final product on your end. You want to use her time to get some really cool tips that match your specific situation rather than ironing out the spelling and punctuation, right? That way, you will get the most out of it unless you're one of those people who learn better from conversation or personal tuition than book learning.

There are obviously some issues with the e-book. For example, Marta says you shouldn't list your certificate in bar management if you're a legal translator. Nothing farther from the truth. The barkeep is one of the most important persons in a lawyer's life, and alcohol keeps the profession from sucking all joy out of your life, just like with translators. Also, her list of active verbs and possible achievements fails to include 'steamrolled' and 'totally owned', the inclusion of which I find to be essential. But these are really small and excusable shortcomings in an otherwise laudable resource.

[Edited at 2013-05-23 04:33 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Individual CV and Cover Letter Review by Marta Stelmaszak

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »