Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics
Thread poster: Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Faroe Islands
Local time: 21:49
Danish to English
+ ...
May 9, 2013

Mapping market characteristics in the global language industry
I would like to propose a market to start mapping the language industry, to define regions with tools provided macroeconomics, as a way for us to understand our business.
For example, I want to map markets by regions defined by states of perfect competition, monopolistic competition and oligopoly.
Most markets on the global market are perfect competitions, with many competitors offering the same service, diferentiat
... See more
Mapping market characteristics in the global language industry
I would like to propose a market to start mapping the language industry, to define regions with tools provided macroeconomics, as a way for us to understand our business.
For example, I want to map markets by regions defined by states of perfect competition, monopolistic competition and oligopoly.
Most markets on the global market are perfect competitions, with many competitors offering the same service, diferentiating from each other only with communication stratigies and marketing.
However, an example of monopolistic competition can be found on the Faroe Islands, with few translators, and only one that has any form of ceritification.
I would think there are a few oligoplies as well: Markets were by law only one or two, or a small group is allowed to enter the market.
Which regions share these two last charactertistics?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »