Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:42
English
+ ...
Feedback on the typesetting Mar 20, 2013

I hope I’m not nitpicking, but two things caught my attention:

The first relates to the Services/Fields of expertise screen. The last line in the second column (Fields of expertise) is wrapping into the first column (Services). Judging from a quick glance of the source code this is probably a CSS problem; but short of doing a more in-depth look at the CSS I don’
... See more

The first relates to the Services/Fields of expertise screen. The last line in the second column (Fields of expertise) is wrapping into the first column (Services). Judging from a quick glance of the source code this is probably a CSS problem; but short of doing a more in-depth look at the CSS I don’t know what exactly the problem is.

The second concerns the use of dashes. In the Education screen one can see that both hyphens and en-dashes are used for the grammatical dash, and the spacing is inconsistent. These should all be spaced en-dashes (technically speaking they should be unspaced em-dashes, but the spaced en-dash is a popular alternative). The inconsistency makes the text subconciously harder to read.

As Samuel has mentioned, the main menu at the top doesn’t “feel like” a menu. You might want to add some visual “hints” to the various menu items to make them look more like menu items.
Collapse

Chiara Pallotti
Chiara Pallotti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:42
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quoting Gitte Mar 21, 2013

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

2. The images you have chosen are, forgive me, very stereotype and boring to look at.

I really wanted to find something original but unfortunately I am not that creative so I gave up

What kind of images would you like to see on a medical translator's website? Any ideas?

Chiara

Chiara Pallotti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Ambrose Mar 21, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:

The first relates to the Services/Fields of expertise screen. The last line in the second column (Fields of expertise) is wrapping into the first column (Services).

The second concerns the use of dashes.

Thank you very much for noticing, I will fix these two issues in the next few days.

Chiara

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Choice of images Mar 21, 2013

Hi Chiara

I am absolutely hopeless in the graphics department myself (it's very easy to be
'constructively critical' of other people's websites, isn't it?), and I am already quite bored with the design of my own website (which a friend's husband kindly did for me), and it will need a change a some stage, but probably not this year.

However, on a medical translation site, I would prefer to see something that celebrates life. Whatever that means.

G
... See more
Hi Chiara

I am absolutely hopeless in the graphics department myself (it's very easy to be
'constructively critical' of other people's websites, isn't it?), and I am already quite bored with the design of my own website (which a friend's husband kindly did for me), and it will need a change a some stage, but probably not this year.

However, on a medical translation site, I would prefer to see something that celebrates life. Whatever that means.

Good hunting!

Gitte
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Li Mar 21, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:
I hope I’m not nitpicking, but two things caught my attention...

Look, either you have a very steady hand, or you drew that red arrow in a program. So, which program did you do it in?

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:42
English
+ ...
@Murray Mar 21, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ambrose Li wrote:
I hope I’m not nitpicking, but two things caught my attention...

Look, either you have a very steady hand, or you drew that red arrow in a program. So, which program did you do it in?

I usually draw these things in Illustrator with my pen tablet, but I was too lazy to pull it out and plug it in. So I just used its pen and ellipse tools this time.

Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends Mar 24, 2013

Chiara.p wrote:

I am curious to know other opinions on the longhand font I used for my name in the website. How many of you find it illegible? Samuel mentioned an interesting point of view that I had never thought of.

Thank you
Chiara

I can read it fine, but that's probably only because I learned to write like that myself in the US education system (where that type of script is called 'cursive').

However, I know that here in the UK, people are not taught to write in cursive like that and can find it hard to read. My Portuguese tutor at uni once wrote something in cursive on the whiteboard and I was the only one who could read it...

If you want to guarantee legibility for more of your potential clients, it may be wise to choose a different font.

[Edited at 2013-03-24 09:44 GMT]

Chiara Pallotti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your thoughts, Jessie Mar 24, 2013

Jessie Linardi wrote:

If you want to guarantee legibility for more of your potential clients, it may be wise to choose a different font.

[Edited at 2013-03-24 09:44 GMT]

I will certainly do that as soon as I have some time.
Chiara

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Feedback Apr 5, 2013

Hey, Chiara. Great way to take the whole of the width of the window, fixed header and absolute (I think but don't blame me for not checking in the source at 3 a.m.) footer are also good, as is putting the whole thing on one page. Everything sticks together. Colours are great (some pro stuff on that white, blue and red plus red dotted lines and black bullets). Typography is good (sizes are perfect, actually), except I'd tweak the font on the basic black text on white background. You can play with... See more
Hey, Chiara. Great way to take the whole of the width of the window, fixed header and absolute (I think but don't blame me for not checking in the source at 3 a.m.) footer are also good, as is putting the whole thing on one page. Everything sticks together. Colours are great (some pro stuff on that white, blue and red plus red dotted lines and black bullets). Typography is good (sizes are perfect, actually), except I'd tweak the font on the basic black text on white background. You can play with letter-spacing in the CSS file (works great for serif fonts) or even choose a different font. Or just stick with what you have, since it's certainly unique enough while still conventional enough to find a good blend between standing out and fitting in, not to mention looking incredibly professional, but IMHO it's too hard to read the way it is now.

I don't understand the asterisks before your headers but they're unique and I guess they work, so why not. I'd consider starting all words with a capital letter in all of the main headers (menu and the more important ones below).

In About Chiara, you need to put an article before "few" in the first sentence of the second paragraph, i.e. "interned (...) for a few months." Definitely "has allowed" in the last sentence. I'm not a fan of using Present Perfect Continuous to mention the starting date of working somewhere, but it's definitely correct to do so, it's just that I prefer the simple tense.

A great webbie overall. Somebody's a good designer.
Collapse

Chiara Pallotti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lukasz, and the longhand again Apr 6, 2013

Thank you very much for having a look at my website! I will fix the issues you pointed out asap.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

In About Chiara, you need to put an article before "few" in the first sentence of the second paragraph, i.e. "interned (...) for a few months." Definitely "has allowed" in the last sentence.

I still also have to address the longhand issue. Had no time so far, but will do soon and then come back for opinions. By the way, Lukasz, do you have an opinion on that too? Do you also think that the longhand should be avoided because it maybe difficult to read for some?

Chiara

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Longhand's good there Apr 9, 2013

Longhand's good for name blocks, Chiara, just smuggle in some proper type somewhere nearby and it's going to be all right IMHO. In fact, you need that longhand to contrast with the heavy duty science print and bring in some feminine touch too. The design could crumble down if you were to remove it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback on website and questions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »