Thread poster: Alex Lago
Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2013

For the past couple of days I've noticed there is an agency advertising itself in the Proz banners, I won't give their name, as I don't want to breach any forum rules, but just look for an agency in the Proz ads these days.

Anyway, today out of curiosity I clicked on the banner and went to their website.

I was flabbergasted by their home page's extremely poor English, this would be a prime example of how not to market your services, I can't believe anyone would be "craz
... See more
For the past couple of days I've noticed there is an agency advertising itself in the Proz banners, I won't give their name, as I don't want to breach any forum rules, but just look for an agency in the Proz ads these days.

Anyway, today out of curiosity I clicked on the banner and went to their website.

I was flabbergasted by their home page's extremely poor English, this would be a prime example of how not to market your services, I can't believe anyone would be "crazy" enough to give them a document to translate into English.

This agency should have spent its money getting a good translation for their website and once they had that they could start spending money on advertising their services, but right now the way things stand I believe they are just throwing money down the drain.

[Edited at 2013-02-19 18:51 GMT]
Collapse

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
Portuguese to English
its money not it's money Feb 19, 2013

...kettles and pots....

Serge Driamov
Serge Driamov  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 11:32
English to Russian
+ ...
So, Feb 19, 2013

it is just a nice naïve agency - people, which do not know how poor their English is.
Accidentally they may get a client with a similar English proficiency, which cannot judge about their professional level. Then, perhaps, they get a translation order...)

[Edited at 2013-02-20 06:14 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ha ha! Feb 19, 2013

Georgia Morgan wrote:

...kettles and pots....

Thanks, sorted now

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
money Feb 19, 2013

Georgia Morgan wrote:

...kettles and pots....

Well, money sounds a lot like monkey. Would this one additional letter matter in translation?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How not to market your services

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »