Thread poster: Nicoise
Nicoise
Nicoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
French to German
+ ...
Jan 9, 2013

Hello,

I would like to include some references of companies, for which I already did translations, on my website. Unfortunately, most of my orders come from agencies. So I work for agencies, but do the translations for companies of course. Is it possible/admissible, to indicate those companies on my website as references?

Thank you for any advice!

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
You could write something along these lines: Jan 9, 2013

Some of my end customers (through agencies):
- Company A
- Company B
- etc.

Nicoise
Nicoise  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 9, 2013

Thank you very much, Diana, that's really clever!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:48
German to English
Better off listing expertise Jan 9, 2013

There is no substantial prestige to be gained from working for a famous company, especially via an agency. Potential clients are much more interested in your experience and knowledge. You're much better off listing things such as "user's manual for leading IT infrastructure developer", or "annual report for major Eurozone bank". In my case, my friends might be impressed that I've done product descriptions for high-end passenger vehicles, but customers want to know whether I understand brake syst... See more
There is no substantial prestige to be gained from working for a famous company, especially via an agency. Potential clients are much more interested in your experience and knowledge. You're much better off listing things such as "user's manual for leading IT infrastructure developer", or "annual report for major Eurozone bank". In my case, my friends might be impressed that I've done product descriptions for high-end passenger vehicles, but customers want to know whether I understand brake systems or torque converters. I do list a few direct clients on my web site, but only after getting their explicit permission.Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Who pays your invoices? Jan 9, 2013

The agency or their client?

If the agency is your customer, you may ask them (not their client) for permission to post them (not their client) as a reference. (It's more professional to get permission before doing so.)

The agency's clients are out of bounds to you. They're not "your" anything. You've never even dealt with them directly and you certainly have no business even mentioning their names. Would be considered unethical in many circles, and a breach of confident
... See more
The agency or their client?

If the agency is your customer, you may ask them (not their client) for permission to post them (not their client) as a reference. (It's more professional to get permission before doing so.)

The agency's clients are out of bounds to you. They're not "your" anything. You've never even dealt with them directly and you certainly have no business even mentioning their names. Would be considered unethical in many circles, and a breach of confidentiality.

The only legit way to mention your agency's end clients would be for you to ask the agency to get permission from the end client for you to use their name.

But it's 2013, and ethics/professionalism etc. ain't what it used to be.
Collapse

suraphan virojanadul
suraphan virojanadul  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:48
English to Thai
Experience counts Jan 10, 2013

In my C.V., I present overview of my experience by listing out selected jobs with client names under subject headings like corporate communication, banking/finance and so on. There's nothing wrong with telling your potential clients about what you've done for other companies.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Confidentiality matters Jan 10, 2013

I agree wholeheartedly with Cilian - you have no business listing your clients' clients on your website - that would be tantamount to breach of confidentiality.

Much better to list your experience with specific kinds of translation as Kevin suggests.

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Confidentiality and specific markets Jan 10, 2013

I agree with Cilian and Gitte,

if at all, it is better to name the agency rather than their clients.

If you don't use direct names, your message is that the information of potential clients is safe with you.

However, it also depends on the market/countries you are targeting at.

Some markets demand complete transparency and might even think you are hiding something.

If you are targeting at different markets, I would suggest you wri
... See more
I agree with Cilian and Gitte,

if at all, it is better to name the agency rather than their clients.

If you don't use direct names, your message is that the information of potential clients is safe with you.

However, it also depends on the market/countries you are targeting at.

Some markets demand complete transparency and might even think you are hiding something.

If you are targeting at different markets, I would suggest you write something like: "references available upon request", and then send the list individually.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hm.. Jan 10, 2013

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

... you have no business listing your clients' clients on your website - that would be tantamount to breach of confidentiality.

That's only true if you write ''I worked for Company X through Agency Y''.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning a few company names as long as you don't mention the agencies you work for, of course.

What's more believable, a or b?

a) I've translated ''user's manual for leading IT infrastructure developer'' (as Kevin suggested)
b) ''I've translated Microsoft, HP, etc., etc. user guides''

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Confidentiality Jan 10, 2013

Hi Nicoise,

IMO permission & direct contact are the keys to listing anything on a website.

If you want to list a company name on your website for potential clients, then you should first ask the client's consent to be publicly named. Thus far you have "only" worked for agencies. Therefore, your client are these agencies. If you have worked directly with a specific company, then that company is your client.

As has been stated by our colleagues, confidentiali
... See more
Hi Nicoise,

IMO permission & direct contact are the keys to listing anything on a website.

If you want to list a company name on your website for potential clients, then you should first ask the client's consent to be publicly named. Thus far you have "only" worked for agencies. Therefore, your client are these agencies. If you have worked directly with a specific company, then that company is your client.

As has been stated by our colleagues, confidentiality is as important in our business as maintaining a good reputation.

Here is a real life example. Google has posted some of my books on their search engine under my real name despite the fact that they were published under my writer's pseudonym. My real name has nothing to do with my pen name for sound reasons... which have no place in this topic. And Google had never asked permission to do so. This "breech of confidentiality" is one of the reaons why I don't trust Google.

Back to your case. Do you think that potential clients would feel save trusting you with their confidential, perhaps even secrete files when you "freely" display your clients' names on your website?

If you still want to display your clients' names, instead of your expertise, then you must add a note such as: "Company names posted with permission".

These are my two cents.

[Edited at 2013-01-10 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Customer references on website when working for agencies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »