Emails of agencies willing to accept CVs of translators - may I sell this database?
Thread poster: Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2013

Hi there,

During 2012 I was actively gathering emails of potential clients - translation agencies from Europe, the US as well as other countries where agencies can offer decent rates (I think you know what countries were left off the list). Finally, I have a list of some 1200 of them.

As you understand, I manually sent emails to almost all of them. As a result, I have now a robust list of clients who frequently hire me for different assignments.

The questi
... See more
Hi there,

During 2012 I was actively gathering emails of potential clients - translation agencies from Europe, the US as well as other countries where agencies can offer decent rates (I think you know what countries were left off the list). Finally, I have a list of some 1200 of them.

As you understand, I manually sent emails to almost all of them. As a result, I have now a robust list of clients who frequently hire me for different assignments.

The question is: may I sell this list using proz ads? I mean, this is a normal practice to cold-contact your potential clients, and the larger list you have, the more clients you acquire. This has nothing to do with spam, I believe, because you contact people who are actually looking forward to hearing from you.

I want to use proz exchange ads for this purpose. Will it be allowed? Won`t this violate the rules of PROZ?

Thanks!
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:11
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
very interested Jan 7, 2013

Dear Vadim,

I am extremely interested in seeing this list. I would find it to be very beneficial to my business.

Thanks,

Sarah

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Interested Jan 7, 2013

I'm also interested in seeing this list. How would it be made available, and how much would it cost?

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jan 7, 2013

[Edited at 2013-01-08 05:29 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You may sell it, but be careful what you guarantee Jan 7, 2013

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:
During 2012 I was actively gathering emails of potential clients ... Finally, I have a list of some 1200 of them. ... The question is: may I sell this list using Proz.com ads?

Well, I have no idea what the rules of ProZ.com adverts are, but if you have something of value that you want to sell, then you have the right to sell it. However, I would caution you to be careful with how to describe the thing you're selling -- a list like that gets very old very quickly, especially if many people make use of it. So sell it, but think carefully about what you guarantee.

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please read this first Jan 8, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:
During 2012 I was actively gathering emails of potential clients ... Finally, I have a list of some 1200 of them. ... The question is: may I sell this list using Proz.com ads?

Well, I have no idea what the rules of ProZ.com adverts are, but if you have something of value that you want to sell, then you have the right to sell it. However, I would caution you to be careful with how to describe the thing you're selling -- a list like that gets very old very quickly, especially if many people make use of it. So sell it, but think carefully about what you guarantee.

Hi vadim,

Thanks a lot for posting to share what you have! Regarding your freelancer identity, Samuel's view is plain to all. Here is a link provided for your kind reference, and please kindly take a couple of minutes to read the following words before doing something that involves ads at ProZ.com:

http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3

3. Advertisements are prohibited. Paid advertising is available from ProZ.com in designated areas of the site. Unauthorized solicitation, sent via the forums, profile messages or elsewhere, is not allowed. Discussion of sites offering competing services is also prohibited, due to past abuse.

Wish you a greater success,

James

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spam Jan 8, 2013

I would say that by doing so you would promote spam. The agencies might be interested in getting contacted by you or other translators matching their requirements, but they would surely dislike being flooded by hundreds of emails from people who do not do their research and, instead, buy a list of names.

[Edited at 2013-01-08 05:35 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make sure that the agencies really are willing to receive multiple applications Jan 8, 2013

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/237482-how_to_stop_unsolicited_applications_from_freelance_translators.html

[Edited at 2013-01-08 16:06 GMT]

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the list contains only Jan 8, 2013

emails of those agencies which clearly state that you are welcome to send your applications.

that is the exact reason why it took me a year to gather the database.

[Edited at 2013-01-08 16:24 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Language pair? Jan 9, 2013

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

that is the exact reason why it took me a year to gather the database.

I assume the agencies on your list are primarily looking for English to Russian and Ukranian to Russian translators, right? I am asking because these are your language pairs and you said you did this exercise to find jobs for yourself, and you did it with great success.

Otherwise, ProZ has this function:
http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=applications
Here, you can see the list of agencies that are actively looking for candidates with criteria that your profile matches. In other words, it is a filtered list, based on your profile and their requirements.

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is marketing Jan 9, 2013

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I assume the agencies on your list are primarily looking for English to Russian and Ukranian to Russian translators, right? I am asking because these are your language pairs and you said you did this exercise to find jobs for yourself, and you did it with great success.

Agencies which work only in my language pair are almost exclusively located here, in the CIS countries. These are not my target audience due to a lot of reasons.

TAs which are on my list have either a separate 'Work with us' page, or state clearly that they are in need of translators of many languages - I think you know what I am talking about.

http://www.translatewrite.com/main/index.php?s=teaching&p=findingclients

A wonderful article, which led me to make up the list.

'One of the biggest mistakes made by ... translators and interpreters is to assume that they will be working full-time after sending out five or ten inquiries. On the contrary, you should expect no more than a one percent return rate on your cold-contacting efforts. ' I had actually around 6%.

But sure,

'If you're starting out by applying to translation agencies, remember to play by their rules in order to maximize your chances of getting work.'

[Edited at 2013-01-09 05:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Emails of agencies willing to accept CVs of translators - may I sell this database?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »