My new website - feedback needed
Thread poster: Konstantinos Stardelis
Konstantinos Stardelis
Konstantinos Stardelis
Local time: 07:07
English to Greek
Nov 2, 2012

Hello, everyone.

After quite some time invested in creating it, I released my first website, today!

http://www.greek-translator.com

I'd appreciate some feedback and your impressions.

Cheers,
Dean

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nice look and feel Nov 3, 2012

Not much wrong with it but I have recently been advised to change email addresses to something like - in your case - info AT greek-translator DOT com. This apparently avoids bots crawling over your contact page and harvesting your email addresses (I haven't gone around doing that myself - yet)

The design and layout are pleasing to the eye and that is always a good thing. The big rotating header makes one has to scroll down for the actual information, and not everybody likes scrollin
... See more
Not much wrong with it but I have recently been advised to change email addresses to something like - in your case - info AT greek-translator DOT com. This apparently avoids bots crawling over your contact page and harvesting your email addresses (I haven't gone around doing that myself - yet)

The design and layout are pleasing to the eye and that is always a good thing. The big rotating header makes one has to scroll down for the actual information, and not everybody likes scrolling. Perhaps that big header could be made a bit smaller to show the start of the information below in the first screen glance. But that is just my take on this, I am certainly no expert.

Congrats on the website, it certainly looks professional.
Collapse

Marketing Translator
Marketing Translator
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It looks very good Nov 3, 2012

You can include references.

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
I am not a fan of this Nov 3, 2012

You can include references.

References may mean infringing on NDA's one has signed. Many of my clients don't want me to include their names in my marketing communications and they were attracted by my own non-disclosure principle.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Perfection in simplicity! Nov 3, 2012

Kalimera sas!
Congratulations! It does look professional. The texts are so short that a client won't be overwhelmed by 1001 details on how you got all this experience or how to evaluate the job, etc. However, I'd add some further details (upon request).

Patricia González Schütz
Patricia González Schütz  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Dean's new website Nov 3, 2012

Bravo! Te felicito mucho Dean!

I like "your" Greek colours used for creating it, simple and easy to read.

Best of lucks!!

Patricia

Patricia González Schütz
Patricia González Schütz  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Dean's new website Nov 3, 2012

I think that the most important thing is that you have it now, it's done. You will have plenty of time to improve it according to your Greek reality and to what Greek clients prefer or not, a matter of having common sense and being self-critical.

Electra Koutsivitis
Electra Koutsivitis  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to French
+ ...
Συγχαρητήρια Nov 3, 2012

Μπράβο ! Πολύ καλή δουλειά

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
1 comment; 1 question Nov 3, 2012

My comment is that when you select the free quote heading, one page starts to load and then is quickly overwritten by another. But, I suppose it doesn't matter much (as long as it's the second one you wanted and not the first).

My question can go unanswered if you prefer, as it's a personal one: Why does it say "my name is Konstantinos Stardelis" when you're signing yourself Dean here?...
See more
My comment is that when you select the free quote heading, one page starts to load and then is quickly overwritten by another. But, I suppose it doesn't matter much (as long as it's the second one you wanted and not the first).

My question can go unanswered if you prefer, as it's a personal one: Why does it say "my name is Konstantinos Stardelis" when you're signing yourself Dean here?
Collapse

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
occidental name Nov 3, 2012

@Sheila

When I was in Greece, I noticed that Greek people (especially those which collaborate with “strangers”) have an “occidental” name, much easier to pronounce

-english is not my working language-

[Modificato alle 2012-11-03 13:55 GMT]

Konstantinos Stardelis
Konstantinos Stardelis
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 3, 2012

Thank you for your comments, everyone.

I have seen that email format being used, so I'll probably change it soon.

The quote form link must be redirecting the visitor with no delay. I'll get that fixed on Monday.

As far as the name is concerned, it's indeed an occidental name that I'm using in Proz. Easier to pronounce and the name I was first using when I started out. Guess it's time to update Proz...
See more
Thank you for your comments, everyone.

I have seen that email format being used, so I'll probably change it soon.

The quote form link must be redirecting the visitor with no delay. I'll get that fixed on Monday.

As far as the name is concerned, it's indeed an occidental name that I'm using in Proz. Easier to pronounce and the name I was first using when I started out. Guess it's time to update Proz
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments Nov 3, 2012

Konstantinos Stardelis wrote:
http://www.greek-translator.com
I'd appreciate some feedback and your impressions.

1. The title of your web site is "Home". If you want to attract visitors, change the title of your web site to "Professional English to Greek translations by Konstantinos Stardelis from Athens, Greece - Home".

2. Your rotating banner hijacks my mouse's scroll button. So if my mouse cursor is over the banner (which is the middle of the screen, where my mouse cursor would normally be), then essentially I can't scroll down, because when I try to scroll, it is the banner that scrolls and not the page.

3. Most users' screens have a vertical resolution of under 800, which means that they only see the top 700 pixels of your web site. The top 700 pixels of all your pages look almost identical, because that huge scrolling banner sits above each page's actual content. For a user who clicks a link on your web site's menu, it will appear as if no further pages load, because all further pages look the same (except for the little coloured line underneath the menu link), if the user doesn't scroll down.

4. Most of your pages do not mention your name. In particular, the "Contact" page does not mention your name at all.

Ricardy Ricot
Ricardy Ricot  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
French to English
+ ...
Congratulations, Konstantinos Nov 4, 2012

Your website looks very interesting.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:37
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My feedback Nov 4, 2012

I liked the clutter-free neat design. I found the font size a bit too small and had to strain my eyes a bit to read, may be you can consider increasing it by a couple of point sizes.

It seems at present to be a bare-bones version. May be later on you can beef it up with additional things like translation articles, photos, links to your blogs (if any), glossaries, notes about your hobbies and interests, etc.

Rasmus Drews
Rasmus Drews  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Formal/informal Nov 4, 2012

1. I agree with Samuel regardig the rotating banner hijacking the mouse. A bit annoying and confusing. Maybe insert an arrow key of some sort that you need to click on instead.

2. Maybe have a back to Home link on the quote page.

3. Is it necessary with the Image Verification?

4. A minor thing: I would suggest using either/or formal/informal language, not a combination ("I'm a freelance English - Greek translator... I am an expert medical translator").
... See more
1. I agree with Samuel regardig the rotating banner hijacking the mouse. A bit annoying and confusing. Maybe insert an arrow key of some sort that you need to click on instead.

2. Maybe have a back to Home link on the quote page.

3. Is it necessary with the Image Verification?

4. A minor thing: I would suggest using either/or formal/informal language, not a combination ("I'm a freelance English - Greek translator... I am an expert medical translator").

Otherwise it looks very good.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My new website - feedback needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »