France
Local time: 09:04
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for asking! Nov 6, 2013

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Hi Veronica,

A question was posted on another forum about LinkedIn and it made me think of this thread where you'd described your methodical approach to it. I wonder if you would mind filling us in on on how successful/useful you found it one year on?

I must say that I am more of a passive user of LinkedIn these days, but I never refuse a request to connect, even though often these come from people who are themselves looking for clients or other forms of employment.

I never got the paid version and never published an ad, and have no regrets about that. I must say that I'm often run off my feet with work these days. (I should add that at the time I was leading this gung-ho marketing campaign, I was on my way back into the swing of things after bringing twin daughters into the world, and LinkedIn was only a small part of the communication effort.)

I have not kept a methodical record of the jobs or quote requests that I have landed through LinkedIn since then, but my efforts brought in two or three punctual, well-paying clients who may or may not refer me or come back one day. The most memorable was a fashion journalist based in China that I definitely would not have found any other way.

LinkedIn has not become my principal source of clients, but all in all, the track record is decent compared to other free (or even paid-for) sites that I have tried. I still firmly believe in the power of networking and am always thrilled to be recruited by a new direct client, and that is what LinkedIn is about for me. I am still out there, and it is a way for professionals in my fields to find me.

Anyway, thanks for asking. I have been pretty passive about ProZ.com since the work has begun to pour in, but I appreciate feeling like part of a community here. If others feel like sharing their expériences or linking up with me on LinkedIn, feel free to do so!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:04
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have just been contacted... Nov 6, 2013

... by a very promising former colleague from way back, who found me on LinkedIn.
She only made contact a couple of days ago, but from the sound of it, real work could follow.

Others have contacted me - many have seen my activities in groups and discussions there and on this site

Others say they have heard of me through shared contacts - often Danes looking for an English native speaker.
... See more
... by a very promising former colleague from way back, who found me on LinkedIn.
She only made contact a couple of days ago, but from the sound of it, real work could follow.

Others have contacted me - many have seen my activities in groups and discussions there and on this site

Others say they have heard of me through shared contacts - often Danes looking for an English native speaker.

I still don't pay for using LinkedIn, but it generates a little traffic and the jobs I am offered are interesting and reasonably paid.

I think being visible is the important thing, so don't forget to join relevant discussion groups as well as building up a good profile!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marketing on LinkedIn: paid-for options

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »