Thread poster: Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 14:16
French to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2012

[Not sure if this post is better off here or in the Business Issues part of the forum...]

I'm finally getting round to creating a custom e-mail address, and I wondered if anybody had any thoughts/experience about what makes a better impression, particularly with (potential) clients:
... See more
[Not sure if this post is better off here or in the Business Issues part of the forum...]

I'm finally getting round to creating a custom e-mail address, and I wondered if anybody had any thoughts/experience about what makes a better impression, particularly with (potential) clients:

[email protected]*
[email protected]
[email protected]

A lot of people will probably say "it doesn't matter!", but I think it does and I'd like to get it right.

*bearing in mind that as a freelancer I'm obviously the sole employee of my company.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My vote Sep 1, 2012

Hello Catharine,

My personal choice would be your first option, because it links you as a person (i.e. your first name) with your company. People want to write to Catharine, not to "contact" or "CCS Translations" (or whatever you use as a trading name).

That's only my personal choice but, like you, I think it's important to get these little things right.

HTH

Sheila

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:16
Italian to English
In memoriam
Seconded Sep 1, 2012

I agree with Sheila.

Think about the format of the name, too. If you intend to expand, or give collaborators a dedicated email address, you would want to keep the same format for all employee and collaborator addresses. You could have:

catharine at ccs.com

This is a good option particularly if you register Cellier-Smart as your domain name but of course you might at some stage need to issue an email address to another Catharine.

Name and
... See more
I agree with Sheila.

Think about the format of the name, too. If you intend to expand, or give collaborators a dedicated email address, you would want to keep the same format for all employee and collaborator addresses. You could have:

catharine at ccs.com

This is a good option particularly if you register Cellier-Smart as your domain name but of course you might at some stage need to issue an email address to another Catharine.

Name and surname, with or without points and hyphens, is another possibility but in your case it would be a bit long:

catharine(.)cellier(-)smart at ccs.com

Publishing companies I work with tend to use either surnames only

cellier(-)smart at ccs.com (OK unless a relative joins you)

or initial and surname

ccellier(-)smart at ccs.com

FWIW
Collapse

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 14:16
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sheila & Giles Sep 1, 2012

My company name is actually Smart Translate, so if I went with the "name@" option it would be "[email protected]".

If I use a name I prefer to use my given name rather than my family name; as you can see part of my family name is already in my business name.

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Great address Sep 2, 2012

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:

My company name is actually Smart Translate, so if I went with the "name@" option it would be "[email protected]".

If I use a name I prefer to use my given name rather than my family name; as you can see part of my family name is already in my business name.

Hi Catharine,

Welcome to this forum for you inquiry! Actually, Sheila and Giles have already provided an effective thread to solve your question. The e-mail formation of "[email protected]" is truly a pleasant one!

Good luck to your business,

James, sunny in the autumn morning

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My case Sep 3, 2012

I have four emails and use them for different things

[email protected] as my general contact for clients

[email protected] as a back-up for when I don't want to give out my main email (for example this is the one I give out to my suppliers (bank, phone compa
... See more
I have four emails and use them for different things

[email protected] as my general contact for clients

[email protected] as a back-up for when I don't want to give out my main email (for example this is the one I give out to my suppliers (bank, phone company, accountant, etc.))

[email protected] for people to make paypal payments into

[email protected] for moneybookers payments

[Edited at 2012-09-03 16:41 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good option Sep 4, 2012

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:

Indeed I think this is best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Custom e-mail address - getting it right

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »