Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translators who have their own web-sites, how did you pick your domain name?
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:37
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2012

I am thinking of starting my own web-site in addition to my Proz.com profile. I've been thinking about it for a long time actually. I am having some trouble coming up with a 'catchy' name like some of you seem to have.

So what's the best strategy in picking a domain name? Do you use your own name, your initials, or a combination of your language pairs in the title? Please let me know some ideas because I am at a loss for words on this topic.

Thanks,
Sarah

Jitendra Jaiswal
Jitendra Jaiswal
India
Local time: 20:07
Member (2009)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Domain Name Aug 16, 2012

Hello Sarah,

Website idea is really good !

For domain name I like suggest you to go for easy and short domain which ultimately helps users to access your site and name should be easy to remember.
Somewhere users should be able to recognize the organization by domain name itself.

Strategy in picking a domain name is totally depends on; what kind of website you are going to have. I meant a personal portfolio site, Company website or just a basic informa
... See more
Hello Sarah,

Website idea is really good !

For domain name I like suggest you to go for easy and short domain which ultimately helps users to access your site and name should be easy to remember.
Somewhere users should be able to recognize the organization by domain name itself.

Strategy in picking a domain name is totally depends on; what kind of website you are going to have. I meant a personal portfolio site, Company website or just a basic information website.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2012-08-16 08:47 GMT]
Collapse

Masrur Ahmed Dip

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
A 'catchy' name Aug 16, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:

I am thinking of starting my own web-site in addition to my Proz.com profile. I've been thinking about it for a long time actually. I am having some trouble coming up with a 'catchy' name like some of you seem to have.

So what's the best strategy in picking a domain name? Do you use your own name, your initials, or a combination of your language pairs in the title? Please let me know some ideas because I am at a loss for words on this topic.

Thanks,
Sarah

Dear Sarah,

A "cathy" name is certainly great, as it is able to help visitors leave a deeper impression. And a personalized name also counts, so long as you know well how to have your expertise and experiences listed on your own site pages. Based on the module design and all the relevant contents included, you come to the marketing means on the Internet. That’s a larger part of your work to be done.

According to my personal experience, one thing is important: marketing activities are better not to be pursued unless you have confirmed that the site pages are truly satisfied for yourself.

Good luck,

James Xia

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 16, 2012

Hi James,

Thanks for your advice. I know what you mean, I won't tell everyone about the site until it is 100% satisfactory to me. But don't you think it's OK to pursue other marketing strategies before the website is ready? I hope to get going on the website soon but I am not sure how long it will take as I've never designed a website before. But in the meantime I plan on doing some marketing.

What I want to know is do you think domain names with the translator's name (
... See more
Hi James,

Thanks for your advice. I know what you mean, I won't tell everyone about the site until it is 100% satisfactory to me. But don't you think it's OK to pursue other marketing strategies before the website is ready? I hope to get going on the website soon but I am not sure how long it will take as I've never designed a website before. But in the meantime I plan on doing some marketing.

What I want to know is do you think domain names with the translator's name (or part of their name) are better or worse than some other type of name, perhaps referring to the languages they work with?

Do you have a website yourself James? I didn't see it on your profile.

Sincerely,

Sarah
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:37
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A combination Aug 16, 2012

Hi Sarah,

there's a variety of name choices, like translations@ sarah..... Or you could pick a name referring to your expertise.

In regard to building your web site, make sure that it will look professional. These do-it-yourself modules are okay, but you should consider investing in a professional web designer. It'll pay off before too long.

Much success!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Anything goes Aug 16, 2012

I often uses anagrams of my name, or nicknames, or something intended to be amusing. I'm currently using TP Translations as my skype avatar. The P stands for "polish"...

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Remember good web design isn't free Aug 16, 2012

Thayenga wrote:

In regard to building your web site, make sure that it will look professional. These do-it-yourself modules are okay, but you should consider investing in a professional web designer. It'll pay off before too long.

Much success!

I agree with Thayenga. In the same way that you get what you pay for (i.e. low quality) with Google Translate or paying pennies for a translation, we should practise what we preach and pay a professional web designer if we want a professional website.

As for the domain name. My name is a mixed blessing. Since it is shared by someone a good deal more famous than I am, it is undoubtedly memorable, but it does mean that email addresses and domain names with anything closely resembling my name have already been snatched up. I therefore went for something completely different. I'm not 100% happy with it but I couldn't bear using anything with the words: euro, languages, ling, world, inter, global, bridge or any of that usual fare. I don't imagine I'm the only one sick of those names.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Simple approach Aug 16, 2012

I went for the "does-what-it-says-on-the-tin" approach. Didn't try to be too clever or witty (not that there's anything wrong with that). Mine's coming up for renewal soon and I'm tempted to allow my current domain to lapse and get a new one (but I probably won't).

Go with your gut and don't overthink it.

P.S. Also totally agree with Lisa that there are some words which should just be avoided at all costs
... See more
I went for the "does-what-it-says-on-the-tin" approach. Didn't try to be too clever or witty (not that there's anything wrong with that). Mine's coming up for renewal soon and I'm tempted to allow my current domain to lapse and get a new one (but I probably won't).

Go with your gut and don't overthink it.

P.S. Also totally agree with Lisa that there are some words which should just be avoided at all costs as they have practically become clichés.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use your name, but be careful Aug 16, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:

My first domain name was simply my two languages: english-afrikaans.com. Unfortunately my domain was registered in the name of my host, and they missed a renewal date, so I had to get another domain. I chose the name that I had been using as my e-mail name at that stage, which happened to be my IRC nickname at the time. I would not recommend this, though.

For you, I'd suggest using your name. However, an interesting thing happened when I checked your résumé. Even though your name was clearly visible elsewhere on the page, when I read your e-mail address out loud I read it as "es em see dowell" instead of "es mcdowell". This leads me to wonder how wise it would be to use "mcdowell" in your domain name. Would you happy to use just "dowell" instead? Then you can call your business "Do Well Translations".

Samuel

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Simple and elegant Aug 16, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:

... But don't you think it's OK to pursue other marketing strategies before the website is ready?

That's natural for you to do some marketing activities first before your personal website comes along into the public vision. For example, posting some constructive ideas and providing results-orientated responses to other's questions on the professional sites like ProZ.com, etc. These are the effective measures to increase your visibility, so it's worth your time.

Do you have a website yourself James? I didn't see it on your profile...

Actually, I have had a website out of ProZ.com before, but I abandoned it not long ago. The reason is simple: it's time-consuming, and I don't have enough time to manage it.

As for the domain name, I totally agree with the idea by Mr. Ty Kendall. Besides, Samuel's naming style is plain and enlightening, too. Both can be referred when trying to make a decision to get a domain name. To put it in other words, being simple and elegant should be always considered positive when you count on the follow-up SEO efforts after the birth of your own site.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Food for thought Aug 16, 2012

Found a link which you might find interesting:
http://websitesfortranslators.co.uk/webdesign/blog/how-to-choose-a-domain-name-for-your-freelance-translation-business/

and you may find this link invalua
... See more
Found a link which you might find interesting:
http://websitesfortranslators.co.uk/webdesign/blog/how-to-choose-a-domain-name-for-your-freelance-translation-business/

and you may find this link invaluable and/or hilarious...........
http://www.sarahdillon.com/2009/02/friday-funnies-choosing-a-domain-name-choose-carefully.html

Although they aren't about naming your website, you may also find these of use:
http://wantwords.co.uk/martastelmaszak/1294/9-pages-a-translators-website-should-have/
http://www.sarahdillon.com/2007/03/websites-for-translators.html
Collapse

Carolyn Yohn
Carolyn Yohn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
French to English
+ ...
Do a higher-level brainstorm Aug 16, 2012

I worked in a "branding" agency for a bit, and the way they came up with catchy names was almost always the same:

- write down one list based on the actual deliverables you produce (basically, translation or interpreting keywords)
- write down another list of the feelings you want your work to produce in people (if you are a technical translator, maybe the ides of clarity and precision)

Then, start mixing and matching! You can truncate some of the words, combine
... See more
I worked in a "branding" agency for a bit, and the way they came up with catchy names was almost always the same:

- write down one list based on the actual deliverables you produce (basically, translation or interpreting keywords)
- write down another list of the feelings you want your work to produce in people (if you are a technical translator, maybe the ides of clarity and precision)

Then, start mixing and matching! You can truncate some of the words, combine them all different ways. I also suggest crossing off the obvious or overused words from your lists before you get into it.

Before you commit to your final choice, ask a couple other people what they think. You never know if the majority of people will read it out loud the same way you intended, or if there's a joke in there you missed somehow. Good luck! This can be frustrating, but fun

(btw-- @neilmac: TP Translations? I automatically think of toilet paper... :S sorry!)

[Edited at 2012-08-16 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A link I'll remember Aug 16, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:
Found a link which you might find interesting...

Here's a link that I personally find interesting:
http://www.albaglobal.com/article355.html
...because the author refers to my web site (in her DON'T EVER DO list). I disagree with the author's sentiments but I can see her point (up to a point). It's nice to be noticed, whatever the reason.

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Aug 18, 2012

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their helpful advice.

Sam, thanks for your creative naming idea. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable chopping off the first 2 letters of my last name, but it's a neat idea and I will certainly think about it.

Carolyn,

Thanks for your brainstorming idea. I will try this over the weekend.

Ty, thanks for those links. The funny one about the 'bad' names made me laugh.

Thanks once again to everyon
... See more
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their helpful advice.

Sam, thanks for your creative naming idea. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable chopping off the first 2 letters of my last name, but it's a neat idea and I will certainly think about it.

Carolyn,

Thanks for your brainstorming idea. I will try this over the weekend.

Ty, thanks for those links. The funny one about the 'bad' names made me laugh.

Thanks once again to everyone for your suggestions!

Sarah
Collapse

Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Japan
Local time: 23:37
Japanese to English
Some other things to consider Aug 18, 2012

Another thing to consider is to whom you are marketing your website. For example, most people here (and most articles about the topic on the internet) recommend picking a clever name that will stand out from the crowd. In my case, however, I generally work only with agencies and companies here in Japan, so I wanted a name that would be easy for Japanese people to remember. In addition, I felt that, given Japan's business culture, a flashy name might not be the best choice - businesses tend to be... See more
Another thing to consider is to whom you are marketing your website. For example, most people here (and most articles about the topic on the internet) recommend picking a clever name that will stand out from the crowd. In my case, however, I generally work only with agencies and companies here in Japan, so I wanted a name that would be easy for Japanese people to remember. In addition, I felt that, given Japan's business culture, a flashy name might not be the best choice - businesses tend to be fairly conservative here. In the end, I chose "Japanese-English translator" .com in Japanese for my address. I also registered two versions - one using alphabetic characters and one using the Chinese characters used in Japanese that make up the word "Japanese-English translator." Websites can now be registered using non-alphabetic characters as well. Since you translate from Russian, you may want to register an address in Cyrillic (on the other hand, the first hit on a quick search on Cyrillic web addresses was an article titled "Russians Wary of Cyrillic Web Domains"). So, in short, consider who you'll be sending to this website and what they would want/wouldn't want in terms of the address.

As for how to make your website, while I agree that ultimately you should go with a professional designer, when you're just getting started, that may be overkill. You may just want to use the blog/website generating software WordPress at first. That's what I'm using right now. Mainly I wanted a website because many agencies in Japan prefer translator's not use free email addresses like Gmail, so having my own website give me my own email domain as well. Eventually, when I feel it's time to further expand my business, I'll get a real designer for the site, but for the moment, WordPress spits out a site that at least doesn't look ugly.

Good luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators who have their own web-sites, how did you pick your domain name?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »