Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translators who have their own web-sites, how did you pick your domain name?
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Laura Fenati
Laura Fenati  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:25
English to Italian
+ ...
name of a translator's website Aug 18, 2012

Hi Sarah, a few years ago when I decided to create my website I thought of finding out a name that could immediately define my activity. I did not choose my name because noone knew that I existed, so how could clients find me? I resorted to this 'escamotage', i.e. no name but indication of my activity: www.italian-translations.it and the same in Italian... See more
Hi Sarah, a few years ago when I decided to create my website I thought of finding out a name that could immediately define my activity. I did not choose my name because noone knew that I existed, so how could clients find me? I resorted to this 'escamotage', i.e. no name but indication of my activity: www.italian-translations.it and the same in Italian: www.traduzioni-italiano.it.

I still think that this has been a good idea in my case. Good luck!

Laura
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Silk Purse Translations Aug 19, 2012

Carolyn Yohn wrote:
(btw-- @neilmac: TP Translations? I automatically think of toilet paper... :S sorry!)

[Edited at 2012-08-16 19:19 GMT]

Sorry, it was meant to be humorous. I do that with my skype profile quite often.
You can find several possible logos here:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=10&hl=es&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=596&q=turd%20polish&oq=turd%20polish&gs_l=img.3..0.1000.3140.0.3484.11.6.0.5.5.0.187.515.0j4.4.0...0.0...1ac.AKnKAmULXk0

Attila Kosik
Attila Kosik  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I only had one idea and got lucky Aug 21, 2012

Hullo there,

For me it was quite easy. I had the idea to name my company Lingua Franca because I wanted an internationally usable name. Little did I think that maybe other people had had the same idea before me. They had.
So I had to tweak the company name a little, but I got absolutely lucky with the URL: nobody wanted to have linguafranca.hu as their URL, so I will keep it. (BTW, I made a bad decision when I trusted webhosting to a friend. Nothing is ready in time and I can
... See more
Hullo there,

For me it was quite easy. I had the idea to name my company Lingua Franca because I wanted an internationally usable name. Little did I think that maybe other people had had the same idea before me. They had.
So I had to tweak the company name a little, but I got absolutely lucky with the URL: nobody wanted to have linguafranca.hu as their URL, so I will keep it. (BTW, I made a bad decision when I trusted webhosting to a friend. Nothing is ready in time and I can't request anything as I get it for free. Now I'm thinking about moving to a paid hosting service.)

The only problem now is that there is a slight discrepancy between me (I aim to be an English-Hungarian legal and IT translator) and the company name (lingua franca was the common language of the mediterranean; to live up to that name, I should hire scores of translators and work as an agency. It's quite a goal, not completely out of the question but I'm not there yet).

Maybe you should consider that as well before choosing your domain name.

Good luck, and may you have numerous promptly paying clients!
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 22:25
Member (2011)
English to German
I chose my name. Aug 22, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:

Do you use your own name, your initials, or a combination of your language pairs in the title? Please let me know some ideas because I am at a loss for words on this topic

I chose my name, and this is my website: http://www.marina-steinbach.com/

Now I am thinking about establishing a LLC and hiring my husband. I will also probably become a ProZ corporate member, but so far I don't really see the advantages. Will I still be recognized by others as a freelancer?

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:25
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Sep 7, 2012

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments about website domain names.

Everyone had such good advice and suggestions that it was hard to decide on anything concrete for a while.

I have recently decided on a name for my website but it shall remain a secret until my website is ready. I will make a new post on this forum after the website is finished.

Thanks again!

Sarah

[Ed
... See more
Thank you everyone for your helpful comments about website domain names.

Everyone had such good advice and suggestions that it was hard to decide on anything concrete for a while.

I have recently decided on a name for my website but it shall remain a secret until my website is ready. I will make a new post on this forum after the website is finished.

Thanks again!

Sarah

[Edited at 2012-09-07 06:38 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators who have their own web-sites, how did you pick your domain name?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »