Susana González Tuya
Spain
Local time: 04:45
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I have just finished my new website with the intention of attracting direct clients. I will appreciate any comments and also your experience on whether a website has helped you to attract new clients.
The address is http://www.tradstudio.com

Thank you

Stefano Papaleo
Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Missing image Jun 22, 2012

No se carga esa imagen en la esquina superior izquierda: http://www.tradstudio.com/templates/greentea/images/bkg_logo.jpg

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments Jun 22, 2012

Susana González Tuya wrote:
I have just finished my new website with the intention of attracting direct clients. ... The address is http://www.tradstudio.com

First, some screenshots:

Second, some comments:

1. I had to click on two links before I could see that you're a translator. Neither the "intro page" nor the first page of each language version says that you're a translator.

2. The idea of selling yourself in a narrative profile will not be very successful, I think. Clients want specific information. Ask yourself what that information is, and then make it easy to find on your site. Don't be afraid to have more than just 3 subpages.

3. Make better use of elements that improve your search engine ranking, such as good page titles. Add more actual text to your pages (particularly your entry page).

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Paolo Jun 22, 2012

Esa imagen fue eliminada

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Comments on your CV Jun 22, 2012

I see that your CV (on ProZ.com) does not have a standard paper size. You may think that this makes you look artistic, but when a potential client prints it out, he'll get either this (if his printer does not scale to fit):

...or this (if his printer does scale to fit):

See more
I see that your CV (on ProZ.com) does not have a standard paper size. You may think that this makes you look artistic, but when a potential client prints it out, he'll get either this (if his printer does not scale to fit):

...or this (if his printer does scale to fit):

...which makes the text rather too small to read easily.
Collapse

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel Jun 22, 2012

I appreciate the comments. I could not see the "Image" error on my browser, so thanks for the screenshot.

And I will format again the CV or add a different link. depending on what works best.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Test it in various browsers Jun 22, 2012

Your website is empty in IE9, it does not show any content except the background colors.

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:45
English to Arabic
One comment Jun 22, 2012

The home page is not in English...OK, I know there's a clear "English" link, but in my opinion it is better to have an English home page...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
IE8 Jun 22, 2012

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:
Your website is empty in IE9, it does not show any content except the background colors.

Your site looks fine in Opera, Firefox and Chrome (although Chrome resizes your facebook/twitter images more hazy than the other two browsers). But in IE8 the facebook/twitter images and the text next to it is not visible at all. Also, in IE8, on the language-specific pages, your contact details (to the right) is not visible. And on your profile page, nothing except the menu is visible. Looks like Joomla is to blame.

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IE8 Jun 22, 2012

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Also, in IE8, on the language-specific pages, your contact details (to the right) is not visible. And on your profile page, nothing except the menu is visible. Looks like Joomla is to blame.

Yes, IE and Joomla do not get on very well. I am looking at a few options to solve that problem.
It seems it has to do with copy-paste from Word. Although I am not very sure why the Contact module is not showing.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use a browser checker Jun 22, 2012

Don't know if you have done so, but it might be a good idea to use a browser checker, something like http://browsershots.org to see how the different pages look on different browsers and operating system

[Edited at 2012-06-22 20:53 GMT]

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
small typos Jun 22, 2012

... in the English Welcome section (I think you usually pay more than just "atention" to detail)
... in the Spanish part of the intro page ("otroidioma"),
and I would try to use matching punctuation on pages that have your two languages side by side (currently there's a period after "Translation company" but none after "Empresa de traducción".

... but apart from that I already quite like it!

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 25, 2012

Thanks so much for all your comments. I am now working on some of the changes you suggested.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My new website - feedback needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »