Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Video curriculum...a new marketing tool?
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very quick impressions May 21, 2012

First of all, I want to say that I think it is a marvellous idea. I am not sure I will not copy it myself...

Now three things I would improve (warning: I am NOT an expert AT ALL and in fact a total disaster talking in public):

- 3 minutes is too much. Nobody has the time for this.

- Too hieratical: Do not sit behind the table. Take an expert posture by the table or partially sitting on it, as
... See more
First of all, I want to say that I think it is a marvellous idea. I am not sure I will not copy it myself...

Now three things I would improve (warning: I am NOT an expert AT ALL and in fact a total disaster talking in public):

- 3 minutes is too much. Nobody has the time for this.

- Too hieratical: Do not sit behind the table. Take an expert posture by the table or partially sitting on it, as a lecturer frequently does. This will also allow you to use your hands (keep your hands in front of you --no pockets--, use them to remark your main points).

- A bit boring on the visual side. I am sure there is plenty of beautiful, interesting, or medicine-related settings in your city you can use as the backdrop for two-three scenes of the video (maybe with a slow walk, or going in and out of camera) and then sum up the clips to make a full video depicting not only you, but interesting places you like and that create a positive association.

I wanted to give quick ideas but ended up being too verbose. My apologies!

[Edited at 2012-05-21 13:55 GMT]
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
As to the orthographical accuracy... May 21, 2012

...you missed an "h" here.

Gudrun

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Tomás! May 21, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Dear Tomás,
thank you very much about this. I will surely be glad if someone copied me!
Your video will surely be better than mine!

- Too hieratical: Do not sit behind the table. Take an expert posture by the table or partially sitting on it, as a lecturer frequently does. This will also allow you to use your hands (keep your hands in front of you --no pockets--, use them to remark your main points). - A bit boring on the visual side. I am sure there is plenty of beautiful, interesting, or medicine-related settings in your city you can use as the backdrop for two-three scenes of the video (maybe with a slow walk, or going in and out of camera) and then sum up the clips to make a full video depicting not only you, but interesting places you like and that create a positive association.

And thank you so much also for this useful suggestions. Indeed, others had already pointed out to this shortcoming of the video but I didn't understand how to improve it.
I particularly like you idea of a different medical-related setting. It sounds really like an innovative idea! I will surely try to put into practice in my next video..the only problem would be the background noises..
I am so glad I have written in the forum, because you have given me so much useful and innovative suggestions!
Thank you again to everybody!
Bruno

[Edited at 2012-05-21 11:15 GMT]

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Great idea but…. May 22, 2012

Bruno, I like the idea very much but unfortunately it looks a little like it had been created by Sasha Baron Cohen.

I would strongly advise taking this off YouTube until you have implemented the extremely good advice of our colleagues. This could go viral for all the wrong reasons.

Please don't take this badly but I feel this could be harmful rather than helpful to your career in its present form.

In bocca al lupo

Suzi

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done it! May 24, 2012

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Bruno, I like the idea very much but unfortunately it looks a little like it had been created by Sasha Baron Cohen.

I would strongly advise taking this off YouTube until you have implemented the extremely good advice of our colleagues. This could go viral for all the wrong reasons.

Please don't take this badly but I feel this could be harmful rather than helpful to your career in its present form.

In bocca al lupo

Suzi

Dear Susanna,
You've been very kind, thank you very much about this. I have removed the video from youtube and will ask your opinion about the new video as soon as I create it.
I wish you a nice day,
Bruno

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video curriculum...a new marketing tool?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »