Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Facebook for Translators - research for article
Thread poster: K S (X)
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 6, 2012

There is definitely something to it. It's probably better for networking with colleagues. Serious direct clients are better approached with other means of contact. Nevertheless, it's better to get your name known in the community! Thanks for your input!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Couldn't have said it any better Apr 7, 2012

Ildiko Santana wrote:

I fully agree with the colleagues who oppose this form of self-marketing. As the name suggests, *social* networks can be useful when one is so inclined to 'socialize' (mind you, strictly virtually... I'd rather interact with people face-to-face). For conducting *professional* networking, business, self-marketing, etc. there are a few professional networking sites (like LinkedIn, although I have never received a single request for quote through those; I do receive requests for help from other freelancers who need advice how to promote their services), then there is ProZ, of course, and various professional organizations for translators. I think it's also worth looking at the number of existing and/or potential clients representing themselves on Facebook. So far, out of my approximately 30 clients I have come across ONE who is on Facebook. Although they use their page to increase their exposure, they do not conduct business through Facebook. Perhaps another research idea would be to see how many agencies use Facebook to find their language service providers. My guess is that the number will be close to zero...

Thank you, Ildiko, for speaking my mind. I, too, prefer to socialize with people face-to-face. There are several professional sites for translators to network, ProZ.com being one of them (my favorite )

The other point is that agencies prefer the professional sites in their search for suitable and qualified translators.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Facebook for Translators - research for article

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »