My New Website...Requesting Your Feedback :)
Thread poster: Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:55
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 24, 2011

Dear fellow translators,

Greetings....

Please I need your feedback on my website which came to light today.

http://www.inarabictranslation.com/

Thanks in advance for your opinion which is much appreciated!

Haytham Boles

Brigitta Schuller
Brigitta Schuller  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
French to German
+ ...
Modifications on your web site Oct 24, 2011

Dear Haytham,

I suggest the following modifications:

HOME
* make your picture smaller
* your description: not in one line but make a list
* no dotes at the end of a phrase or matter in your lists
* in "Why choose me as a translator": write "Always meet deadlines" instead of "Always meets deadlines"

OUR CLIENTS
* write instead "MY CLIENTS"

CONTACT
* "or send me an Email to ..." instead of "or sent us an eMail
... See more
Dear Haytham,

I suggest the following modifications:

HOME
* make your picture smaller
* your description: not in one line but make a list
* no dotes at the end of a phrase or matter in your lists
* in "Why choose me as a translator": write "Always meet deadlines" instead of "Always meets deadlines"

OUR CLIENTS
* write instead "MY CLIENTS"

CONTACT
* "or send me an Email to ..." instead of "or sent us an eMail to ..."

Watch out for an uniform layout (dotes, lists, etc) and grammar and spelling mistakes. Good luck!

Best regards,
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
plural and singular Oct 24, 2011

Hi Haytham,

You use both first person singular ("About me") and plural ("Our Clients"). I suggest you choose one, and if you operate alone then I personally prefer the singular. You could improve the English and formatting here and there, but in general your site leaves a friendly impression and should inspire the confidence of your potential customers.

Regards,

Olly

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Favourable impression overall Oct 24, 2011

Hello Haytham,

Of course, it's difficult to say what the perfect website would look like, but I thought yours was fine overall. I do agree with Brigitta about being clear about who you are: I/me or we/us consistency throughout needed. Also, her comments about the home page are valid to make the most important things (i.e. info about what you do) stand out most.

I have two other comments to make. Firstly, your "samples" tag talks of "a... See more
Hello Haytham,

Of course, it's difficult to say what the perfect website would look like, but I thought yours was fine overall. I do agree with Brigitta about being clear about who you are: I/me or we/us consistency throughout needed. Also, her comments about the home page are valid to make the most important things (i.e. info about what you do) stand out most.

I have two other comments to make. Firstly, your "samples" tag talks of "a sample letter", whereas you have uploaded two translations. The second one is strange because although it's from Arabic into English, the Arabic is on the right. I know it's a right-to-left language, but I still found that very confusing. Secondly, a very minor point: I found the lines in red on the "quotes" page really dazzling and had to squint to read the sentence at all!

HTH

Sheila
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My impression Oct 24, 2011

Hello Haytham,
the good news is that your font reads well and that I can find all the information about you and your services I could possibly need.

The bad news is the technical part of it:
- I wouldn't use the "Ø" character in bulleted lists; it makes me feel that you are just about the average;
- Your website's code is too heavy: it uses way toooo many in-line styles that should be moved to external CSS files;
- The result of the previous point is that yo
... See more
Hello Haytham,
the good news is that your font reads well and that I can find all the information about you and your services I could possibly need.

The bad news is the technical part of it:
- I wouldn't use the "Ø" character in bulleted lists; it makes me feel that you are just about the average;
- Your website's code is too heavy: it uses way toooo many in-line styles that should be moved to external CSS files;
- The result of the previous point is that your website's code is invalid: there are as many as 90 (!) errors per page;
- I wouldn't use a freemail service if you have a domain of your own;
- I wouldn't display my e-mail address as a "mailto:" link, but rather as a picture.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 10:55
Member (2011)
English to German
Oh well, ... Oct 24, 2011

Hi Haytham,

I think that the words in red, written on your pages "Contact" and "Free Quote", are a bit painful for the eye. Apart from that, I like your homepage.

Good luck and lots of bucks!

Marina

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I removed my comment Oct 25, 2011

[Edited at 2011-10-25 01:39 GMT]

Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Person or business Oct 25, 2011

I would make it less personal and more business-oriented.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My replies Oct 25, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
- The result of the previous point is that your website's code is invalid: there are as many as 90 (!) errors per page;
- I wouldn't use a freemail service if you have a domain of your own;
- I wouldn't display my e-mail address as a "mailto:" link, but rather as a picture.

I checked the web site in browsershots.org and it looked fine in most browsers, so don't worry about the HTML code under the hood.

Using a freemail service is fine, but get a new e-mail address that looks more professional, e.g. [email protected].

I'm in favour of displaying the e-mail address as plain text (munged, possibly) and as a clickable link.

Rosa Grau wrote:
I would make it less personal and more business-oriented.

There is nothing wrong with a personal approach, IMO, but the approach has to be consistent (do not mix I and we, for example).

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My replies to Samuel's replies Oct 25, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

I checked the web site in browsershots.org and it looked fine in most browsers, so don't worry about the HTML code under the hood.

It's not just a question of how a website displays in a browser. Cleaner code will deliver better search engine results, load more quickly and ensure better compatibility with future versions of Internet browsers.

I'm in favour of displaying the e-mail address as plain text (munged, possibly) and as a clickable link.

The problem is that a clickable e-mail address will be sooner or later picked up by spambots for various purposes.

There is nothing wrong with a personal approach, IMO, but the approach has to be consistent (do not mix I and we, for example).

Seconded.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
email address Oct 25, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
Using a freemail service is fine, but get a new e-mail address that looks more professional, e.g. [email protected].[/quote]

Good point, Samuel. In fact, seeing as how the website is called "inarabictranslation", why not [email protected]? On the other hand, as this is a website, wouldn't something like [email protected] be possible? Can't get more professional than that.

Sheila

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dear Haytham, Oct 25, 2011

Please edit your contact paragraph at the bottom of your services page,

because this

is what I have had on my website since May:

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Whoops Oct 25, 2011

Somebody got caught out there...

[Edited at 2011-10-25 13:04 GMT]

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Requesting feedback about my website Oct 26, 2011

Hello Diana,

First of all, please accept my sincere apologies for using exact information from your website in mine. It was not really in my intention at all to do this. After looking at your website, I really liked the way you displayed your information about your interpreting services- the clearness, concision, and nice style. I wanted to use some of your information, but in diffeerent wording. I was having a tight time, and as they say I was racing against time to have my website
... See more
Hello Diana,

First of all, please accept my sincere apologies for using exact information from your website in mine. It was not really in my intention at all to do this. After looking at your website, I really liked the way you displayed your information about your interpreting services- the clearness, concision, and nice style. I wanted to use some of your information, but in diffeerent wording. I was having a tight time, and as they say I was racing against time to have my website (in fact just a basic website for shortness of time) by Monday 24th because I was planning to fly to Boston to attend the ATA annual conference. Therefore it just escaped my mind to do the change in the presentation of information. I wanted to have my website ready by the time I would be attending the conference from October 25-29. You can imagine what does having a professional website mean to me!

Please I hope Diana you will understand the situation. No matter what I say, I admit that I did wrong to you inadvertantly. As professionals we are known for our big heart! Therefore please forgive me for copying literally form your website.
Definitely, I will change the information after I come back from Boston.

Best wishes,
Haytham Boles

[Edited at 2011-10-26 04:41 GMT]
Collapse

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Requesting Feedback on my new website Oct 26, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to look at my website and provide me with your feedback and comment which were really invaluable and constructive. I will take them into consideration when doing the changes to my website.

You're wonderfull colleagues!

God bless you all!

Kind regards,
Haytham Boles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My New Website...Requesting Your Feedback :)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »