Thread poster: Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:42
English
+ ...
A couple of comments Jul 19, 2011

I don’t have a site, but I think I do have a couple of comments about the existing site:

1. There is not much information there. In fact there is barely any information (not even your contact information). Of course it is not doing any work for you.
  2. The logo links to a PDF version of itself. Assuming that this is your real logo, this is not a good idea. You are giving away your infinite-resolution logo to anyone who happens to find your page.

As fo
... See more
I don’t have a site, but I think I do have a couple of comments about the existing site:

1. There is not much information there. In fact there is barely any information (not even your contact information). Of course it is not doing any work for you.
  2. The logo links to a PDF version of itself. Assuming that this is your real logo, this is not a good idea. You are giving away your infinite-resolution logo to anyone who happens to find your page.

As for the “designed” thing, designing really just means looking for an optimal solution given a set of constraints. So in this sense I’d say it should be designed, in the sense that you should be able to answer questions like what you want to present, how you want to present it, etc. and you should make your site in a way that can address your answers to such questions.
Collapse

Sarah Swift
Sarah Swift  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
German to English
Outside-in web design Jul 19, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

As for the “designed” thing, designing really just means looking for an optimal solution given a set of constraints. So in this sense I’d say it should be designed, in the sense that you should be able to answer questions like what you want to present, how you want to present it, etc. and you should make your site in a way that can address your answers to such questions.

Absolutely. The technical aspects are largely about making sure that the technology doesn't create barriers blocking the reception of your message. What matters is the message. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_usability - there are some useful links at the end of the article.

Make sure the overall design is outside-in. In other words, you need to come at things from the perspective of site users, of customers. What information are they looking for? What points are they seeking reassurance on? You know why your existing customers value your services, so pass that information on to your prospective customers.

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 08:42
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for a really good discussion guys! Jul 19, 2011

@Ambrose - yeah, thanks, I've just realized that myself. I must have done something weird when I was messing with it last time.
Well, I guess this proves that I'm a complete noob and that I should leave the job to professionals
I'm happy to see different points of view and Loek's post is indeed encouraging.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 15:42
English to German
@Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison Jul 19, 2011

Short answer to your question: yes, after a couple of years.

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Driving targeted traffic to the website Jul 20, 2011

Your website can bring in business if you know how to drive targeted traffic to the site. You can have the most professional looking website but without the targeted traffic (i.e. people looking for you right now) you are not going see the boost in business. A few good back links from here and other authority translation sites along with some good keywords should give you the boost you are looking for. I am speaking from experience I have with another site I own but I have never done a site for ... See more
Your website can bring in business if you know how to drive targeted traffic to the site. You can have the most professional looking website but without the targeted traffic (i.e. people looking for you right now) you are not going see the boost in business. A few good back links from here and other authority translation sites along with some good keywords should give you the boost you are looking for. I am speaking from experience I have with another site I own but I have never done a site for translation. I'm about to do one though.Collapse

yoviajera
yoviajera
Venezuela
Spanish to English
+ ...
Using wordpress as a CMS makes things easier! Jul 21, 2011

Hi!

If you have a website it will bring business only if you drive traffic to it. Listing it on your profile, being on social media: twitter, facebook, linkedin, a little bit of SEO and also, when you hand in your business card, make sure you point people to your page.

A good website is within your reach and it doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money. I reckon most people also look at the design, you can have loads of experience and be a pro but if you apply for a
... See more
Hi!

If you have a website it will bring business only if you drive traffic to it. Listing it on your profile, being on social media: twitter, facebook, linkedin, a little bit of SEO and also, when you hand in your business card, make sure you point people to your page.

A good website is within your reach and it doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money. I reckon most people also look at the design, you can have loads of experience and be a pro but if you apply for a job wearing flip flops and shorts you're most likely to be rejected, no matter your experience... which is sad but true.

I like using wordpress because you can configure all the options through its dashboard, and the learning curve isn't that steep. You can also purchase ready made themes on themeforest.net which will give your website the look you need for under $40.

After all this, it's on you how you organise your content. I hope my ideas work for you!

my two cents
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does good website = business boost?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »