TRANSLATED SRL
TRANSLATED SRL
Italy
Local time: 18:44
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 17, 2010

Translated developed T-Index, a ranking of the 100 languages with the highest purchasing power on the web. We believe such a tool will help translation professionals understand what the most valuable languages on the web are and how they can use them to develop their business.

You can have a look at the study here:
http://bit.ly/inTINDEX

We'd love to hear your opinion on it.
... See more
Translated developed T-Index, a ranking of the 100 languages with the highest purchasing power on the web. We believe such a tool will help translation professionals understand what the most valuable languages on the web are and how they can use them to develop their business.

You can have a look at the study here:
http://bit.ly/inTINDEX

We'd love to hear your opinion on it.

Best,

Lucia Bracci
Web Marketing Manager
http://www.translated.net
email:[email protected]
Direct: (+39) 06 90 25 4 258
Mobile: (+39) 349 55 65 037
Main: (+39) 06 90 25 4 001
Fax: (+39) 06 233 200 102
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Interesting... Nov 17, 2010

TRANSLATED SRL wrote:

I agree.

Still, the fact that the study takes only one language per country into account is a deficiency. For Afrikaans, for example, you've taken only Namibia (a sparsely populated desert country) into account, whereas if you had added the population of its larger neighbour, South Africa, the number of internet users would not be 100 000 but in the region of 2 million. Afrikaans is only the 3rd largest language of South Africa, but the number of Afrikaans internet users is not unlikely to be higher than the number of internet users from the largest and 2nd largest languages.

And then there are social factors... the speakers of the largest and 2nd largest languages in South Africa typically consume media and do shopping in the 3rd and 5th largest languages of the country.

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Flawed..? Nov 17, 2010

I agree, there seems to be a flaw in it.
If you look at German/French/Italian and Germany/Switzerland, for example: "German" comprises Germany, Austria, Switzerland (and Liechtenstein). But what about all those Italian-speaking and French-speaking folks in Switzerland? What about the German folks in Luxembourg?

Maybe we misunderstood something, but what's the logic behind the countries assigned to the languages given the purpose of the study?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
They are spamming, too Nov 17, 2010

I feel so lucky that I just received a direct email from them advertising this thing, and asking me to:
...help us spread the word!

-Forward this email to all your contacts
-Share the news with your friends on Facebook
-Tweet !

And then:
Thank you for continuing to work with us.

I have never worked for them.
Given the nature of their activities regarding this study, shouldn't the starting post be considered as advertising?

Katalin

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I may be missing something... Nov 17, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

Maybe we misunderstood something, but what's the logic behind the countries assigned to the languages given the purpose of the study?

No German in Belgium? No French in Canada either?
It would have made some sense taking all the official languages of every country into account.

Like Samuel and Simone, I may be missing something...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:44
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The study Nov 17, 2010

The very same extraordinarily valuable information can also be found on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Internet_usage

Lets hope that the study wasn't outrageously expensive.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not missing anything Nov 17, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
Like Samuel and Simone, I may be missing something...

I wouldn't say that I'm missing anything. I recognise the deficiencies of the survey, but I also realise that it can be a very useful tool. And I acknowledge that it would be very difficult to produce a survey of which the reliability of the information is absolute.

The nature of the available data sources make it difficult to produce survey results that are not somehow flawed. The advantage of the particular sources used is that these sources are regularly updated, so anyone can redo the survey every year for very little extra cost, and the results would be chronologically comparable.

The sources themselves also have flaws... for example, the number of Facebook users in a country is taken into account in the internet usage figures, but Facebook isn't popular everywhere -- other social networking platforms are more popular than Facebook in certain countries (e.g. Hyves in the Netherlands has 10.3 million users whereas Facebook in that country has a mere 2.3 million users).

The survey also use data like PPP and GDP, which are excellent tools for homogonous countries but which tend to be wildly inaccurate and unreliable in countries with lots of socio-economic variance.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same here Nov 17, 2010

I received the same email as Katalin, I've never worked for them.

TRANSLATED SRL
TRANSLATED SRL
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback! Nov 18, 2010

First of all, thank you for your feedback. We were looking forward to receiving replies such as yours - they will be very useful when updating the study for future updates (next one due in April 2011).

As for the choice of excluding some languages for multilingual countries, it was a deliberate choice. We understand this can be improved and we will work on it for future releases. The rationale behind our choice has been detailed in the study itself. I'm pasting it below for your con
... See more
First of all, thank you for your feedback. We were looking forward to receiving replies such as yours - they will be very useful when updating the study for future updates (next one due in April 2011).

As for the choice of excluding some languages for multilingual countries, it was a deliberate choice. We understand this can be improved and we will work on it for future releases. The rationale behind our choice has been detailed in the study itself. I'm pasting it below for your convenience:

---
Each country has been ranked on the basis of its most used language rather than the official language(s). Moreover, each country has been evaluated for one language only, despite the fact that many people worldwide are bilingual or multilingual. For example, in Switzerland, German, French and Italian are all official and national languages. We evaluated Switzerland within the German language market though because the majority (63,7%) of Swiss people speak German.
---

Lastly, I'd like to point out that some of you have received an email announcing this study because they are registered with our company. Of course, if you are not interested in receiving similar announcements, you can log in to your profile at www.translated.net/top and set your preferences using the newsletter checkbox under the Options tab.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 100 languages with the web’s highest purchasing power

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »